MoRA

RiverwoodCLT

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

135,000 sf of office over 4 buildings. 9,700 sf retail in a fifth building. Looks like they're demolishing part of the main Clariant building but otherwise reusing everything that's already there. Could be a cool addition to the area. It doesn't look like they plan to improve the sidewalk at all which is unfortunate.

Site brochure.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So is the new Charlotte  FC HQ and  Practice facility technically in MoRa?

And it means a project is actually getting developed on Levine land!

Charlotte FC will open a new permanent training facility and business headquarters by the spring of 2023, the club announced Wednesday morning. According to club officials, the site will be located at 8600 McAlpine Park Drive and include a “privately-financed 52,000-plus square-foot facility” that features four fields and related facilities, and it will put Charlotte FC’s MLS team, its MLS NEXT Pro team and its academy teams “all under one roof.” “A permanent training facility and business headquarters for Charlotte FC has been a priority for the club since it was launched, and we’re excited to reach an agreement to bring this to life,” David Tepper, owner of Charlotte FC and the Carolina Panthers, said in a news release. “The timeline for this project was crucial and we’re delighted to deliver a first-class facility to our players and staff in Spring 2023.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-fc/article264594856.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TCLT said:

I'm personally gonna withhold judgment until they release renderings and more details, but I'm inclined to see this as a win for the area. It adds around 100 more workers to the area that can support local shops and restaurants. Ideally, CFC will open up some of the practice sessions (and maybe academy games?) to the public which would be great family events for the residents nearby. I'm also hoping they have a small club shop on site as well. If they do that it could drive revenue to the team and people to the area. It's not a massive development, but if done right good spur some growth in the immediate vicinity and that stretch of Monroe and the small businesses there could use it. Add in the Silver Line in 150 years and you'll also have stations (Village Lake and McAlpine Park) bookending the office park which could build it up further into a destination.

edit: I also wonder where the MLS Next Pro team will play their games once it starts next year. If they use one of the fields at this facility that would be a big-ish deal.

I don’t know anything about MLS Next Pro.  Why would this be a big-ish deal? 

I don’t know anything about MLS Next Pro.  Why would this be a big-ish deal? 

It’s essentially a minor league that MLS just started. Made up of MLS club development teams. It’s a third tier league (equivalent to USL Pro which is the league the Independence are in) so it is a professional league which is more serious than the academy team. If they actually play games at this location that would mean multiple game day events, and while they’d be low turnout it would still be an economic development win and really cool for the community. I mostly doubt games get played here because I doubt Tepper builds out the spectator infrastructure, but it would be great if it happened.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TCLT said:

It’s essentially a minor league that MLS just started. Made up of MLS club development teams. It’s a third tier league (equivalent to USL Pro which is the league the Independence are in) so it is a professional league which is more serious than the academy team. If they actually play games at this location that would mean multiple game day events, and while they’d be low turnout it would still be an economic development win and really cool for the community. I mostly doubt games get played here because I doubt Tepper builds out the spectator infrastructure, but it would be great if it happened.

I don’t think there is any chance he builds a stadium of any kind on a parcel he doesn’t own.  Plus there is parking there for maybe 250 cars max. That’s a job for memorial or Matthews sports complex. 

it would probably piss off the independence if they played at memorial but since they turned down his offer to buy them…I see that as 100% what he does lol  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is great and this land has been vacant (no surprise) for decades so something going on there is great and it is a win for the east side.  Now the Eastland site could develop a larger park facility with less fields and a maybe a place for marketplace vendors.     Maybe the Panthers training facility will find its way uptown on some Levine vacant if any is available in First Ward.  

Urban Panthers Training Facility in First Ward...Is that a possibility?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I don’t think there is any chance he builds a stadium of any kind on a parcel he doesn’t own.  Plus there is parking there for maybe 250 cars max. That’s a job for memorial or Matthews sports complex. 

it would probably piss off the independence if they played at memorial but since they turned down his offer to buy them…I see that as 100% what he does lol  

I was envisioning something like what Ramblewood was for the Independence, but that facility was actually way bigger than I realized. So yeah Matthews or Memorial seem like the most probably locations.

10 hours ago, TCLT said:

Your feelings about this area of Monroe Road are well founded. It's certainly not the most impressive part of the city. But I also think like you're overestimating the quality and prestige of MLS training facilities. Most locations really aren't any better or more impressive than McAlpine, and many of them are around the 50,000 sq ft that CFC's facility will be. Below are several examples with dates of the MLS Cup win for the team. These are the facilities of teams that are extremely competitive, that are spending a lot of money, and brining in the league's best players. Let's see what TSE is actually planning on turning that empty office building into before judging too harshly.

DC United - location - 2004

Atlanta United - location - 2018

Inter Miami - location

Columbus Crew - location - 2020

Seattle Sounders - location - 2019

NYCFC - location - 2021

Almost replied similarly earlier but Google "training center" along with Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, PSG, AC Milan etc...  While the building themselves are impressive, the locations are on the outskirts in rural or light industrial areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Almost replied similarly earlier but Google "training center" along with Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, PSG, AC Milan etc...  While the building themselves are impressive, the locations are on the outskirts in rural or light industrial areas.

But this is an unimpressive 30 year old office building in a unimpressive area.  Eastland, while it was not going to some great area, was a custom built complex for MLS (at least at one point it was). 

These are mostly beautiful new buildings: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/facts-figures-and-images-every-mls-training-facility

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, 1020AM said:

Dude. We get it. You don't like it and you look down on that part of town. You even went out of your way to say that Eastland (isn't some great area).  Wonder why you don't like these areas? What are you trying to prove? It's a Soccer facility that's privately funded. What's to hate?  You don't even know what it's going to look like and your trashing it, because you feel like good things only deserve to be in certain parts of town, around certain types of people.  

Bringing up the race card already?  Man it isn't even 10:20am yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

This is a band aid/temporary facility until Tepper gets his sh-t together.  My bet...which has been mentioned earlier is that he will build a combined training facility for Charlotte FC, the Panthers, both team HQ's and an entertainment district on the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry site. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

But this is an unimpressive 30 year old office building in a unimpressive area.  Eastland, while it was not going to some great area, was a custom built complex for MLS (at least at one point it was). 

These are mostly beautiful new buildings: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/facts-figures-and-images-every-mls-training-facility

Fair point.  I guess I took placing the facility in an existing building meant a serious upfit to accommodate the club.   Maybe a dangerous assumption given Tepper's track record.  But coats of paint, more natural light and a renovated interior we would be in the same ballpark as say Inter Miami which is a 50k facility across two stories.  Ours would just be a single story longer building.