MoRA

RiverwoodCLT

This is a band aid/temporary facility until Tepper gets his sh-t together.  My bet...which has been mentioned earlier is that he will build a combined training facility for Charlotte FC, the Panthers, both team HQ's and an entertainment district on the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry site. 

rt

(Just bc every facilities follows a commonality does not mean every facility will. This is my speculation but either way I’m not to particularly opposed or in favor of this decision to have it in Monroe whether permanent or not. It is rather irrelevant to me, and really I’m just interested in what’s going on in Charlotte).

It’s kind of insane to me that so many people think Tepper (or any developer) would use land in south end or uptown to put 4+ sports fields on. The most expensive land in the city as occasionally used grass with no revenue potential. Seriously?! An average soccer field is more than 1.5 acres so just the 4 fields at this Monroe road facility would be around 7 acres. All of legacy union is about 10 acres. There’s zero chance in my opinion a panthers or CLT FC training center gets built on pipe and foundry land as part of a stadium development. Training centers are for the outskirts.

That may be true but if just look at any satellite imagery, you’ll find plenty of examples with acres of land in Charlotte even at its core producing little to no revenue for the owner… (not that I’m disagreeing with you).

Most obvious Exhibit A:

c825fad190d2d497e5950a3585f2e70b.jpg

(Yes it’s owned by the city but also by the panthers ^)
  • Confused 1

That may be true but if just look at any satellite imagery, you’ll find plenty of examples with acres of land in Charlotte even at its core producing little to no revenue for the owner… (not that I’m disagreeing with you).

Most obvious Exhibit A:

c825fad190d2d497e5950a3585f2e70b.jpg

(Yes it’s owned by the city but also by the panthers ^)

Those are already owned though. Most for quite some time. Tepper would be purchasing Pipe and Foundry at current premium prices.
  • Like 2

Those are already owned though. Most for quite some time. Tepper would be purchasing Pipe and Foundry at current premium prices.

As I said: Not disagreeing with you ^ but I guess I was more so saying it isn’t insane as you said. Tepper won’t turn the whole thing to a training facility but it’s not insane if he incorporates urban format training facility along with entertainment district. All speculation though as no moves on this land have been publicly made. Tepper may not even buy this land to begin with.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TCLT said:

It’s kind of insane to me that so many people think Tepper (or any developer) would use land in south end or uptown to put 4+ sports fields on. The most expensive land in the city as occasionally used grass with no revenue potential. Seriously?! An average soccer field is more than 1.5 acres so just the 4 fields at this Monroe road facility would be around 7 acres. All of legacy union is about 10 acres. There’s zero chance in my opinion a panthers or CLT FC training center gets built on pipe and foundry land as part of a stadium development. Training centers are for the outskirts.

I don't disagree at face value, but the foundry site is 55 acres. Tepper also owns 4.6 acres adjacent to this property.  With a site this large it seems you could get enough density to make it financially viable.  Plus it would compliment the entertainment district by bringing even more people to the area with  CLT FC,MLS next,  CLT FC academy, ACC,  and other events. Just a thought. :dontknow:

• Like 1

This is good for the area but I still think it was a mistake to abandon the shared Rock Hill facility for many reasons.  That would’ve been open in 2024 and they could’ve continued practicing in Matthews or wherever they were.  They invested a lot into the Rock Hill facility and will pay out much more to be done with it, along with burning that bridge…

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

This is good for the area but I still think it was a mistake to abandon the shared Rock Hill facility for many reasons.  That would’ve been open in 2024 and they could’ve continued practicing in Matthews or wherever they were.  They invested a lot into the Rock Hill facility and will pay out much more to be done with it, along with burning that bridge…

Rock Hill was never intended to house anything CLT FC related.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

Haven't seen this reuse project posted on here.   Or maybe i missed it??

1m_Oakhurst-Commons_Digital-Leasing-Deck-1-1.pdf 5.97 MB · 15 downloads

It was announced in April. Although I don't remember seeing this tiny Building 6 "Outdoors Meeting Room" before. It's a hell of a hike across that massive parking lot from any of the other buildings too. What kind of weird crap do these developers think businesspeople need to do?

edit: That little building is already there lmao. What kind of weird crap has Clariant been doing? Although to be fair to them, it is a lot closer to where the building currently ends.

BLDG 6.png

Edited by TCLT
It's already there!?!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Monroe Road seems doomed to be a very high-traffic, car heavy area .  It would be great if we could get a little mini entertainment district around the coliseum for before and after events.  I wouldn’t really want to walk anywhere around here though.  

1 hour ago, DonkeyKong said:

first part of that article above

“I didn’t go looking for this,” real estate developer Daniel Levine said this week, standing near the million-dollar-plus soccer fields installed earlier this year by Major League Soccer team Charlotte FC. “They found me.”

Levine’s company, Levine Properties, owns the 106-acre McAlpines Center business park in east Charlotte, home of the Charlotte FC fields and, as disclosed by the MLS team last week, soon to be Charlotte FC’s permanent headquarters and training site.

And, while Levine didn’t go looking for an MLS tenant, the smile on his face during a tour this week of McAlpines Center made clear his happiness over such serendipity.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thank goodness Mr. Tepper is taking charge and expanding his FC Charlotte at Levine's McAlpines Center on Monroe Rd. 

""McAlpines Center, the suburban business park that will soon house the headquarters for the city’s Major League Soccer team, and Charlotte FC are already encouraged by their fledgling partnership — and considering bigger plans.

During separate interviews with CBJ this week, team spokesman Woody Wilder and Daniel Levine, who owns McAlpines Center, confirmed that Charlotte FC may build as many as seven fields instead of four as previously planned. Two natural grass fields were installed this year at the 106-acre business park as part of what was then a temporary agreement for the MLS team to practice there through 2023.

In August, Charlotte FC owner Tepper Sports & Entertainment disclosed plans to make McAlpines Center the team’s permanent home. The agreement between Tepper Sports and McAlpines calls for Tepper Sports to pay for all fields as well as renovations of an existing 52,000-square-foot building onsite that is being converted into team offices and locker rooms.

All 110 employees — administrative and competition — will call McAlpines Center home, along with the players. In addition to Charlotte FC’s first team, the club’s youth academy and its new developmental league team in the MLS Next Pro series will all be housed there.

Construction is underway and the renovated building is projected to be ready next May. At the time the team announced McAlpines Center would become its permanent home, Charlotte FC said it planned to install two more fields: one natural grass and one artificial turf. Tepper Sports will lease the building and field space from McAlpines Center owner Levine Properties.

“I don’t want to steal their thunder, but they are in the last stages of committing to take more land for more fields here,” Levine told CBJ this week. “Which we are working very aggressively with them on.”""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/11/18/charlotte-fc-levine-properties-soccer-mls-tepper.html

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

^Thanks for the update. I imagine Chipotle will do well in this location. On a somewhat related note, I wonder when the remaining open parcels will be developed across Idlewild? There are several plots of open land beside the M Station apartments (owned by Goode Properties) that make that area feel a little disjointed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...