Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drayrichmond

Parks and Rec

64 posts in this topic

I thought we could use a thread just for Park developments, the riverfront, and green spaces (ie, the sugar pad, kanawha plaza, Tpot bridge, etc..). Didn't know if we already have one, if so I'll figure out how to delete this and bring up the old one (just let me know). 

To start here's the latest news on the sugar pad area:

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_21ac26b6-2ada-5a9b-8f4d-233419f2ac2b.html

Three different concepts. 

57a293968a091.image.jpg?resize=760%2C298

57a2939a35b59.preview.jpg?resize=620%2C4

57a2939e0593b.preview.jpg?resize=620%2C4

2 people like this

I do think that we have a thread for the TPot bridge, but not for this specific project.  Maybe all you need to do is just rename this thread.

does anyone have the plan for the south side community center on old warwick rd ?

10 hours ago, Marcus Squires said:

does anyone have the plan for the south side community center on old warwick rd ?

I wasn't able to find a news article or quick summary on it, but here is the call for construction bids and there are PDF's with the plans:

http://richmondvaprocurementconstructionbids.blogspot.com/2016/04/ifb-k160021245-southside-community.html

http://www.richmondgov.com/procurement/documents/bids/CB_K160021245_Southside_Com_Gym_Plans.pdf

1 person likes this

Those things are all over Montreal. I was there in May and loved them. They do a lot right on the street where a car would be parked, which is why I immediately assumed it would never happen in Richmond, people would never give up a parking spot for this. However something on the sidewalk would work. I like them.

2 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

Those things are all over Montreal. I was there in May and loved them. They do a lot right on the street where a car would be parked, which is why I immediately assumed it would never happen in Richmond, people would never give up a parking spot for this. However something on the sidewalk would work. I like them.

Yeah there would be a revolt over parking, but there are some wide spots in the sidewalks where we could totally do something like this around town

24 minutes ago, jbjust said:

In case anybody is interested, here is a pic of Kanawha Plaza from this morning...

IMG_4240.JPG

It looks like their starting to make a lot of progress. Hopefully, they will be done by the new year.

Having watched the progress, I would say they'll be done in a month if they're not building the stage area.  All that is left is laying pavers in the big semi-circle, refinishing the concrete in the fountain, erecting two shelter-like structures, and plantings.  

2 people like this

The bus barn redevelopment is moving along as well. No pictures, but the new buildings on the south side of the project at Grayland and Robinson have started. They aren't wasting anytime on this project. 

3 people like this

3 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

No pictures...

What!?  How could you tease us like that!

Thanks for the update!

Edited by eandslee

4 hours ago, tparkerzut said:

The bus barn redevelopment is moving along as well. No pictures, but the new buildings on the south side of the project at Grayland and Robinson have started. They aren't wasting anytime on this project. 

I'm also realizing that I put this in the parks and rec one and not developments. Oops, if anyone knows how to move posts that would be great!

On August 5, 2016 at 9:13 AM, drayrichmond said:

I wasn't able to find a news article or quick summary on it, but here is the call for construction bids and there are PDF's with the plans:

http://richmondvaprocurementconstructionbids.blogspot.com/2016/04/ifb-k160021245-southside-community.html

http://www.richmondgov.com/procurement/documents/bids/CB_K160021245_Southside_Com_Gym_Plans.pdf

I was talking to my council women and she told me that they are working to put in nature trails, a pool, and converting the other parts of the complex into a community center with other amenities but I can not find those specs anywhere but what you found is a start thank you for your time - Marcus Squires 

Judging from the topsoil that is being spread right now, the Kanawha Plaza stage area is going to have to wait until later...

Saw a blurb in this month's Richmond magazine confirming that $3 million of the $6 million Kanawha project is being deferred.  However, I walked around the unfinished park last night and was blown away by the scale of it.  The amount of green space is tremendous and could really change the whole character of downtown. 

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Saw a blurb in this month's Richmond magazine confirming that $3 million of the $6 million Kanawha project is being deferred.  However, I walked around the unfinished park last night and was blown away by the scale of it.  The amount of green space is tremendous and could really change the whole character of downtown. 

Too dark for pics??:D

Time to start thinking of programming now that additional funding for capital costs have been pushed back. A recent trip to Boston had me stumble upon this little gem in the Seaport District. Would love to see seasonal programming like this at the plaza; check it out for yourself: The Lawn on D. Would be great to see Venture Richmond/Cap One/WestRock/Dominion/Suntrust/etc sponsor it.

Pics really don't do it justice.  It is absolutely massive and will be a magnet for events given the ample parking all around it that is totally empty on weekends. 

What are your thoughts on the final color of the fountain?  The rendering suggested the bottom would be blue, like the Fed, but for now everything they have painted is either dark gray or taupe. 

20 minutes ago, meegwell said:

Landscaping going in:

kanawha_lanscaping2.jpg

Wow this looks great! Hopefully the other portion gets funded so that concerts and other major events can be held in the heart of downtown and we could see some more retail popping up here.

SOD IS GOING DOWN!!!!  Will post pics later. 

2 people like this

The sod laying machine is pretty cool!  A lot of activity out there.  Grass on the field, time to play ball!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, jbjust said:

SOD IS GOING DOWN!!!!  Will post pics later. 

THIS IS NOT A DRILL! SOD IS GOING DOWN!!!

Look forward to any pictures posted!!

2 people like this