Sign in to follow this  
drayrichmond

Parks and Rec

The fences are coming down at Monroe Park today!  I’ll stop by later to snap photos.  

I hope the lights are on tonight.  I’ve seen them on once and it truly looks  like a works-class park. 

• Like 3

On 6/21/2018 at 4:34 PM, Ward Wood said:

Looks like they’re handling the overgrowth! Quick response. The city could use some more efficiency like this :tw_lol:

0E1616BC-1D16-4941-9956-91E5C0F15AE8.png

Went by Kanawha Plaza  coming back from a meeting today, it looks  so bad, like no fix up even took place, huge tall weeds, trash at all the trees, tall grass in the corners,  along the streets and fence lines,  anywhere that would require getting off a riding mower is bad.  Fountain was off, looked dirty, this is really dumb, come on RVA.  In a post last year I mentioned, something to the affect, that perhaps citizens could do it, but I believe I was wrong,  I don't feel now after seeing it that citizens could help, needs serious work, maintenance and regular upkeep.  I'm surprised that with all the  big corporations, banks, law firms and their influence that it looks this way, do they complain or just drive by and go home?

Edited by Hike
  • Sad 2

If I recall maintenance was temporarily handed back over to Richmond parks and rec last summer.    They cleaned it up.  I think that it’s back to being  “managed” by a private company again  (Venture  Richmond or something like that). 

It’s  shameful.  I really don’t get it at all.  It’s clear that it wasn’t installed very well (weeds are out of control, not at all like other parks that go without maintenance).  They must not have used any landscape fabric under  the beds?   It really is a dumpster fire.  It needs to be completely ripped out and reinstalled.   I’m not confident that it can be fixed (weeds  separated  from the ornamental plants). 

• Sad 1

I was thinking the same thing this week. There is such a lack of care from the City. I know of a couple companies that were in town this week considering Richmond for expansions or major investments. I wonder what they think when they see things like Kanawha Plaza.

• Sad 1

I walked by last night, along with hundreds of others, on the way to Friday Cheers and was absolutely disgusted. I cannot think of any other city I have lived in or visited that has a park in the center of town in this condition. Furthermore, it isn't like there are tons of parks in the city center to care for and it also isn't the case that other parks like Chimborazo are faring any better. Richmond deserves better! I mean what was the point of investing all that money to renovate the space if it's going to be left to ruin??

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I walked by last night, along with hundreds of others, on the way to Friday Cheers and was absolutely disgusted. I cannot think of any other city I have lived in or visited that has a park in the center of town in this condition. Furthermore, it isn't like there are tons of parks in the city center to care for and it also isn't the case that other parks like Chimborazo are faring any better. Richmond deserves better! I mean what was the point of investing all that money to renovate the space if it's going to be left to ruin??

Agreed.  If the city does not have the resources to maintain its parks, then they should organize volunteer efforts.  Detroit has (or had) a program like this where people volunteered to maintain their neighborhood's park.  Richmond could implement something similar.  A good start would be to contact local Boy Scout troops.  Boy Scouts need community service hours for each rank so they are always looking for opportunities.  Surely there are dozens of organizations  and thousands of people who would help.  Without too much effort, the city government could tap a vast reservoir of volunteer labor.  This would serve a maintenance need and potentially engender or augment a sense of local pride in the participants.

• Like 3

These pics are from today. Fountain isn't on and there are no tables and chairs as before. Weeds have taken over. I would be embarrassed to take anyone by here.

IMG_20190505_132131.jpg

IMG_20190505_115329.jpg

IMG_20190505_115151.jpg

IMG_20190505_115141.jpg

IMG_20190505_115016.jpg

IMG_20190505_115120.jpg

IMG_20190505_115107.jpg

IMG_20190505_115103.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Ugh, that is pathetic.  

Isn't Enrichmond still in charge of the park?  They have a twitter feed you can comment on.  

• Like 1

This is ridiculous.  Perhaps we should do it ourselves then send the bill to City Hall.

I can't even get the City to pick up bulk brush when they're supposed to. The DPU website says it happens the day of recycling (every two weeks). When I call 311, the agent says its in fact happens 'the week of your recycling,' not the day of, despite this being totally contradictory to the city website.  Well, the week came and went and nothing but rotting brush at the foot of my yard - but I already pay the money for the service to happen on the day its supposed to....

I honestly don't think it looks that bad from the photos in contrast to the written description in the earlier post. I wonder if the issue may be tied to the types of plantings used in the park, i.e., are they higher maintenance ? So many great public parks now such as the High Line in New York and Railroad Park in Birmingham feature landscaping that appears wilder, more natural, and I suspect requires less maintenance, though I am not a landscape architect.  I love that the medians on the interstate now have a more natural look. I think the park provides a welcome connectivity given the awful tear in the urban fabric created by the downtown expressway (oh I wish we had gone with the less destructive boulevard proposed in the '70's...hindsight). I think the bigger challenge with this park is that it tries hard to connect a part of downtown that frankly isn't really urban. Yes, it abuts some of our signature high-rises, but the Fed, Dominion, and that whole swath of Cary St. until you reach Shockoe Slip is more like a suburban, auto-oriented office park. Kanawha Plaza mitigates this dead streetscape somewhat, but it can only do so much. So make the landscaping low-maintenance and work on better adjacent street-level urban fabric  in this part of downtown to activate and enliven these blocks while using the park as a connective string between downtown and the "in progress in the right direction" riverfront and canal area.

Edited by flaneur

It’s far worse in person and no, it isn’t the type of plants...it’s the weeds.   Native plants would have been a better choice (look ok with minimum upkeep).  The median strip on Canal is just as bad.  The beds around Town Bank, the Federal Reserve and the James Center are immaculate.   I’ve never seen the types of weeds in those beds that have overtaken the Kanawaha Plaza beds (and median strips).   It really leads me to believe that inaction may be due to litigation. 

It really appears to have been  planted  incorrectly.  Lots beds/parks go unmaintained around town.  None go wild as quickly and as throughly as this park.   I really don’t think the beds can be properly maintained at this point without digging everything up and starting over.    Either they didn’t use landscaping cloth or the fill dirt that was used was inundated with weeds. 

• Like 1

I rarely see people here on the weekends.  Hopefully that changes as more residential is built Downtown.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Kanawha Plaza grass is freshly cut and the beds are being mulched today.  It’s looking fantastic.  It has come along way since Memorial Day weekend! 

So Memorial Day weekend 2020 will be the next time they mow and de-weed Kanawha Plaza?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2