Parks and Rec

drayrichmond

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

I agree that this would be good for Richmond, but I’m very underwhelmed by the design. It’s just not doing it for me. Something of this significance needs more...I don’t know...flair; some more inside museum things. I see this as something that will just rot away after the newness wears off and becomes an outdoor wasteland.  I think they need to go back to the drawing board and put more money into this. $3M is nothing.  If they’re going to do it, do it right.

38 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I fully agree with this.  It is a nice start but needs a lot of reworking.  I especially do not like the placement of the community garden between Main Street Station and the museum.  This location should be a significant entry plaza for the park and community gardens tend to not create that effect.  I hope they work with this as a draft and use the current social momentum to really make this a world class memorial and educational experience.

Yall mean this? Baskervill- National Slavery Museum (Alternative Concept)

c1-1024x639.jpg

c2-1-1024x638.jpg

c4-1024x637.jpg

• Like 2

Definently a great idea that could create a one of a kind space. Like y’all said, I hope they do this right and consult leaders in the African American community. Hopefully with Main Street station servicing 30+ trains per day under the DC2RVA plan that that could draw some increased tourism to the site and really help it become a hub for tourism in the city. It will be interesting to see how the city balances this with The need for land in order to expand Main Street station to accommodate future passenger rail service though.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I am absolutely loving the work here and can certainly see where this would mix well with future Main Street Station expansion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Definently a great idea that could create a one of a kind space. Like y’all said, I hope they do this right and consult leaders in the African American community. Hopefully with Main Street station servicing 30+ trains per day under the DC2RVA plan that that could draw some increased tourism to the site and really help it become a hub for tourism in the city. It will be interesting to see how the city balances this with The need for land in order to expand Main Street station to accommodate future passenger rail service though.

ABSOLUTELY THIS.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

honestly something like this is so unique that I could see this being a massive tourism draw from people across the nation and even world, if it's done right. I prefer the Baskerville National Slavery Museum design but I have to trust that they will make the right decisions 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Just went through the Richmond Riverfront Plan again on a lazy Saturday night.  I really wish the city would really start making moves and getting these things done.   While I greatly appreciate how quickly they are implementing bike lanes throughout the city, our park system is sorely inadequate outside of a handful of areas.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Richmonopoly said:

Land being cleared along the cap trail/Dock Street.

0E773E32-9E3E-48B8-88F2-3111FCE8F737.jpeg

While this may ultimately be related, I believe this is utility work that has been under works for some time now.  They started at the Pear Street / Dock St intersection and on the old Water Street concurrently and have now been working into the Sugar Pad / Echo Harbor tract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Shakman said:

It's the organic approach.  Let the weeds grow.

Luckily, weed season is over. Not an excuse and only my opinion, the city has had their hands full with city center, Diamond district, school fires, Covid, social unrest etc. so not at all surprised parks fell down the list. 

• Like 1