Parks and Rec

drayrichmond

28 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Our back porch was fully enclosed (storm windows, storm door, wood siding, etc.,) and we used it mainly for storage, plus we had a second fridge/freezer that we used to stock up on stuff without cluttering up the fridge in the kitchen. The porch originally was open and later screened in - but my dad full enclosed it, ran electrical outlets, etc., into it. So our actual "back door" to the house entered the kitchen from the porch - and just for nostalgia (and to keep bees/wasps out in warmer weather if we opened the kitchen door) we left the old screen door on. So in particularly cold weather, we'd let the squirrels come into the porch (we'd hold open the porch door and he'd scamper in) -- he couldn't easily get into the house itself because we could block off the part of the porch where we'd feed him. More often than not, when he was done, he wanted back out - so we'd just let him out and he'd run along 'til the next time.

You mentioned your squirrel might be a she - wouldn't it be something if she showed up with an entire brood of baby squirrels! :tw_smiley:

The neighbor: I hear what you're saying about him being kinda strange... maybe lonely, single, older, etc. But you know what? I betcha he'd be doing this if he was 25 as opposed to  ??? (maybe 55? 65? 75?) A tiger doesn't change its stripes. Not judging this guy - but I'm just saying - we all have challenging life circumstances - but we don't have to turn to cruelty as a coping mechanism. And shooting woodpeckers and poisoning or shooting squirrels is cruelty, hands down. 

Interestingly, I’ve never seen “baby” squirrels. I’ve seen smaller, younger looking, but never too small to where I’d say, look at that baby squirrel. I assume they grow fast, stay in the nest and/or get consumed by nest raiding hawks and crows before they can scamper down with mom. As for the neighbor, yeah, I’m sure you’re right,  he’s still himself, what he learned from my stopping by was not to talk to neighbors, in fact, haven’t spoken, seen him since or heard anything about him from my other neighbor who ratted him out. He’s quietly plotting and reading up on how to get rid of neighbors.  

Edited by Hike

27 minutes ago, Hike said:

Interestingly, I’ve never seen “baby” squirrels. I’ve seen smaller, younger looking, but never too small to where I’d say, look at that baby squirrel. I assume they grow fast, stay in the nest and/or get consumed by nest raiding hawks and crows before they can scamper down with mom. As for the neighbor, yeah, I’m sure you’re right,  he’s still himself, what he learned from my stopping by was not to talk to neighbors, in fact, haven’t spoken, seen him since or heard anything about him from my other neighbor who ratted him out. He’s quietly plotting and reading up on how to get rid of neighbors.  

:tw_flushed:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hike said:

Got any of them there pecans?

C29DCA87-9DCC-4D01-9603-6F45A126DF98.jpeg

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!  OMG!! He's SOOOOOOO cute!!!  🥰 Of COURSE I have pecans, li'l fella!! 

Honestly - I think they legit know who they can trust and who they shouldn't. They can tell good peeps. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hopefully, this thread includes the counties too:

This article says that a very unique $20M park will be constructed in Sandston in Henrico (probably not far from the airport).  The rendering looks kind of cool.  Admittedly, I had to look up what a "pump track" is.  Pretty cool:

1. https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/new-henrico-park-to-be-one-of-a-kind/
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This article says that a very unique $20M park will be constructed in Sandston in Henrico (probably not far from the airport).  The rendering looks kind of cool.  Admittedly, I had to look up what a "pump track" is.  Pretty cool:

1. https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/new-henrico-park-to-be-one-of-a-kind/

Definitely looks interesting. Now - I'm halfway saying this tongue-and-cheek - but when I think of 99 acres around Sandston - I can't help but think: "how many manufacturing facilities, data centers, distribution centers, etc., could be built in that part of the county on 99 acres? How many high-density apartment building/townhome developments could occupy space there??

I know - I'm evil. I get it. 😈

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 5:43 PM, eandslee said:

LOVE THIS. What a great addition to an area that will be very happening soon with even more development imho.

• Like 1

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/22/byrd-park-restaurant-from-ny-deli-owners-gets-planning-commission-nod/

We did it! Byrd Park is getting a sandwich spot! Thank you all for sending letters in to get us over the hump here. We had MAJOR NIMBYs on this one - a very vocal minority. It was voted 6-1.

Can someone move my post to Byrd  Park thread? I can't seem to find it, thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/22/byrd-park-restaurant-from-ny-deli-owners-gets-planning-commission-nod/

We did it! Byrd Park is getting a sandwich spot! Thank you all for sending letters in to get us over the hump here. We had MAJOR NIMBYs on this one - a very vocal minority. It was voted 6-1.

Can someone move my post to Byrd  Park thread? I can't seem to find it, thanks.

Done! I copied it and re-posted it in Byrd Park - along with my response. :tw_thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eandslee said:

The Fall Line Trail Update:

Thought that this is best placed here…here or regional transportation…

Anyway, this article is great news! I didn’t know that this was going to be built so soon (thought it would take a decade or more).  Anyway, Henrico plans to complete their portion of the Fall Line trail in 4-5 years!  Design for sections are already happening and construction should be starting soon!

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/henrico-county/henrico-approves-52-5-million-in-funding-for-fall-line-trail/

This is a great idea.  Hopefully more Commonwealth spanning trails will follow.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rooster said:

Im excited about this! havent been down to Shiplock Park in a long time but I imagine it'll be all cleaned up - I wish they would get those old locks working again!

Same. The real beauty of RVA comes from its parks. We could have easily sold off prime real estate that overlooks the river and had million dollar homes surround us anytime we used the river. Instead, we conserved and today they are world class trails for everyone to access and love. I use them 3-5x a week for 2-3 hours at a time biking and hiking. JRPS is the reason I stay in RVA. I'm glad they are not allowing Rockets Landing to get over developed with mini shortpump 2.0 by holding this land and making good public use of it. What great long term vision.

• Like 2

Back in the 90’s when people asked me why I moved back to Richmond the answer was always “the James River”. 

I was in the pro Echo Harbor camp back in the day because this stretch seemed so desolate.  I lacked the vision necessary to believe that a park there would be used…then the Capital Trail opened and over night there were tons of people hanging out around this site.   I think that this is a better use of the land.   It helps that so much development is happening around town.  When Echo Harbor was floated there were only 1-2 projects announced a year which made me anxious to pass it up. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2