River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

8 minutes ago, wreynol4 said:

I share some of the sentiments of some on the board.  I am hopeful this will be a game changer, but the idea of doing 10+ 10-12 story buildings sounds incredibly ambitious for any city in America including NYC or LA.  I mean this is literally like building a whole downtown for almost any city in America, it's very very ambitious.  But who knows maybe I'm just wrong, and I hope I am.  

The buildings in the story don't look 10-12 stories. One of them look 30+

One potential way they could mitigate the flood risk is by doing some major earth-moving and then obtaining a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), which is a certification from FEMA that says yes, the land is technically in the floodplain, but because of the mitigation work that was done, it's no longer considered the floodplain for flood insurance and floodplain mapping purposes. 

Many Nashvillians learned about LOMAs the hard way when their homes flooded in 2010, and they went digging to find out why their homes weren't considered in the floodplain, even though they were within 1/4 mile of a river in some cases.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Will said:

One potential way they could mitigate the flood risk is by doing some major earth-moving and then obtaining a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), which is a certification from FEMA that says yes, the land is technically in the floodplain, but because of the mitigation work that was done, it's no longer considered the floodplain for flood insurance and floodplain mapping purposes. 

Many Nashvillians learned about LOMAs the hard way when their homes flooded in 2010, and they went digging to find out why their homes weren't considered in the floodplain, even though they were within 1/4 mile of a river in some cases.

TopGolf sits within this same floodplain and they've done a considerable amount earth moving - including what appear to be drainage/retention ponds. I believe the BizJournal article goes into more detail on how the development team and the city  will address the issues. 

I'm most excited about the bridges connecting Cleveland Park to this area. Can you imagine the impact this could have on the Dickerson Corridor?

• Like 4

This is similar to the Hudson Yards project in Manhattan. NYC was able to transform a huge plot of industrial land into a brand new office district, redefining the skyline with several new supertalls. River North is on a much smaller scale, obviously, but if Manhattan can handle that huge development, why can't Nashville, in the middle of it's 'boom', handle this medium one?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Eventually, the city is going to have to do more to protect all of the development within the core when it comes to the Cumberland River.  There will one day be many more $Billions at risk from a flood.

True.    The downtown floodwall project was (and I assume still is) one element of the mitigation plan.     Another was not building in flood plains.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

This is similar to the Hudson Yards project in Manhattan. NYC was able to transform a huge plot of industrial land into a brand new office district, redefining the skyline with several new supertalls. River North is on a much smaller scale, obviously, but if Manhattan can handle that huge development, why can't Nashville, in the middle of it's 'boom', handle this medium one?

Well...Nashville already has trouble handling 150k on lower Broadway for NYE...while NYC is ok with 1 Million+ in Times Square...so don't give us TOO much credit.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

I like the project, but I too fall into the category that thinks it's unlikely for quite a while. The current boon is around the new convention center. 5th & Broad will be a reality with it's own office and residential space. The same goes for Nashville Yards/Old Lifeway area. It will take Nashville a while to absorb all this space that is already much farther along.

Well...let's hope they at least get the infrastructure ready for development.  I think that's a move in the right direction.  Then...they can start filling in the pieces.  Between this, 5th & Broad, old Lifeway and the Tennessean site...there's a bunch of puzzle pieces to put together.  But think about how exciting it will be to watch it all happen.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Not to beat on the floodplain issue, but this is from the NBJ article.

"The project will elevate streets, sidewalks and first floors above the [Federal Emergency Management Agency] flood elevation level so that access and investments in this new neighborhood are protected," Bailey said. "This plan also has been put together with significant input from the city as to flood protection."

They're going to have to bring in a lot of rock, then.  Looking at the earlier photo, that's a few feet of water.  When you multiply that by 100+ acres, that's a lot of rock.

This is very similar to what Boston is currently doing with their Seaport District. It was a dingy industrial area in South Boston which has transformed into a vibrant Live, Work and Play development on Boston Harbor.  Boston has a master plan very much like this project and has taken them years to get to where they are now with more to develop.  So I don't feel this will be ambitious for Nashville has long as we understand this will be a 20+ year project.  Not many major cities in the South have a river that runs through it with prime undeveloped land!

ttp://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/rise-seaport-district-boston/

• Like 4

In looking at the new bridges across the Cumberland and I 24, I am wondering how many of the residents in those neighborhoods will be hot on the idea of major traffic going into their respective neighborhoods. The biggest issue is the bridge that would go into Germantown. I think they would embrace the pedestrian bridge but not the auto bridge. It looks to be an extension of Taylor street.

The next concern would be where the traffic would go from the development. I would think there would need to be at least two exits off of the interstates into the project for ease of access.

Everyone that has driven that stretch of road knows it is a cluster most of the time, and it does not need to be rush hour.

Incredible proposal...a complete 180 from the initial drawings of the concept!!  I love the vision shown here, but I have to echo the sentiments of most others in that I can't honestly see how this all gets built, at least not before I qualify for an AARP membership lol...nonetheless, EVEN IF none of these buildings were built and all we got out of this were the built up river front, the greenways, marinas, and the new bridges, I'd still be thrilled, to be completely honest.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, titanhog said:

Ok...WOW!  If this ever comes to fruition, it would be HUGE.  However, I have to think this render is a "best-case scenario," unless someone knows something more.  Still, a good sign for future development across the river.

The biggest property owner on Nashville's East Bank is eyeing a spring start to construction of what eventually is expected to be a 105-acre mixed-use development that's being called River North.

Chicago-based Monroe Investment Partners LLC plans to begin the work with a 40-acre first phase called The Landings at River North planned just north of the Kelly Miller Smith Memorial Bridge near where Jefferson Street becomes Spring Street. The overall River North Development District will span 125 acres, including where the Topgolf sports entertainment complex is rising.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/01/10/name-plans-unveiled-huge-project-cumberland-rivers-east-bank/96355154/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/10/massive-river-north-project-could-juice-east-bank.html

Looks like a pretty aspirational level of density considering they're starting from scratch over there. Will be interesting to see how much demand they drum up. Fantastical renderings aside though, this is an enormous improvement over the last layout I saw from them. This has an actual urban grid instead of the previous suburban format with sparse streets and isolated towers surrounded by surface parking. I wonder who nudged them in a different direction? Is that something Metro Planning does, or MDHA? Or did they self-correct?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

Eventually, the city is going to have to do more to protect all of the development within the core when it comes to the Cumberland River.  There will one day be many more $Billions at risk from a flood.

They tried to get started on that very plan a year or two ago with the downtown flood wall. Council killed it. :\

Also, the flooding and smell issues (from the sewage treatment plant right across the river) will pose serious barriers to this project.

• Like 1