River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

Baronakim….I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.  A flood like the one a few years ago WILL happen again someday.  Everything at ground level and below will be flooded…so I’m not sure how you overcome that possibility without massive money spent (on top of basic construction prices).  And what you’re saying about the riverbank and erosion has to be addressed by these guys.

Some of the renders I’ve seen over the years of proposed river “pleasure” uses almost assumes the river downtown is a lake rather than a river.  I wish we had that kind of control on the river downtown…but without a nearby lock and dam, it seems the river can only be controlled so much.

• Like 2

I agree that the featured pedestrian bridge is probably just to give a conceptual idea of the how a bridge fits into the project.  That being said, when the time comes to actually design the bridge, could it not be done as a draw bridge?  If the Woodrow Wilson that is part of  I-95 that goes over the Potomac River between Maryland and Virginia can be a draw bridge, why not a pedestrian bridge over the Cumberland?  One other feature of the WWB is it includes a side for pedestrians.    The WWB has over 250K vehicles that pass over it every day.  I wouldn't think a pedestrian drawbridge would be much of an inconvenience.  The old WWB which was much lower, typically was raised once or twice a week.  Never during rush hour.  The new WWB is rarely raised because it is much higher.  There is signage board to alert drivers when the bridge would raise.  Even the news media in the area tends to announce when the bridge will be raised.  People living near the bridge and in the area often gather with their kids to watch it raise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am sure that is in response to the radicals wanting more and saying they have not been involved in the conversation and wanting more from the agreement. According to those answers there have been public meetings and everything else has been done in accordance with State and Metro laws. As far as guaranteeing minority owned businesses getting a certain % of the jobs and a certain wage, this was tried by Metro and shot down by the State. 

This is an industrial area and there are no residences in the area and are crying when they have no legal skin in the game. Unfortunately property values are going to rise and people are going to be pushed out of the fringe areas, but Metro, Oracle, Amazon and other entities can work together for better housing solutions. 

The same thing will happen for the next large swath of land to be developed that already may be zoned for a large development and the folks in the neighborhood were not paying attention or just did not care. As an example is this development here https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1421-Baptist-World-Center-Dr-Nashville-TN/16071538/. This is on my map and you may or may not know this area already has an SP approved for it. I will bet the neighbors around here know absolutely nothing about it and it happens will be screaming bloody murder. But its their fault because of their own inaction!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I don't see the problem with pushing and even expecting more from these gigantic corporations.

If the government isn't going to do anything, then local organizations are the only ones there to protect the average person. 

Yeah, but it seems backwards to me to expect a gigantic corporation to solve our problems. They'll create job opportunities, taxes, and talent development pipelines through local partnerships. Anything else is not and shouldn't be their responsibility. 

The development tracker has details regarding TDOT proposals to provide an underpass under I-24 for traffic from Cowan Street to Cleveland Street and a pedestrian/bike underpass to Grace Street.

WHEREAS, the Tennessee Department of Transportation desires to create such connectivity by constructing a Cleveland Street extension and Bike/Pedestrian connection: Cleveland Street, from SR-ll (US-41, Dickerson Pike) to Cowan Street under Interstate 1-24; and Bike/Pedestrian Connectivity under 1-24 from Grace Street to Cowan Street (the "Project"); Agreement #210064; PIN 131513.00; Federal Project # Pending; State Project #Pending (the "Agreement");

and WHEREAS, upon completion the Project will facilitate public transit, automobile, pedestrian, and bicycle connections between the River North development, including the planned Oracle campus, and other parts of East Nashville; and WHEREAS, the Project will create connections between River North and East Nashville that are vital to the Oracle America, Inc. development that is the subject of RS 2021........

A map;

1651877047_1aUnderpasses.jpg.ffd4bd8d84306b3ad49aa5f3b7f46531.jpg

That's going to be a long traffic tunnel, (700'+ , 2 or 3 football fields)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Yeah, but it seems backwards to me to expect a gigantic corporation to solve our problems. They'll create job opportunities, taxes, and talent development pipelines through local partnerships. Anything else is not and shouldn't be their responsibility. 

Just a difference of opinion I suppose.

Asking them to do everything and anything they will do seems the most logical route. Why leave anything on the table if they are willing to pony up for it?

3 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I agree that we shouldn't expect corporations to solve all of our problems, and it's not their responsibility to do so. However, when they are offered tax/financial incentives, then they owe more than just providing some good paying jobs. 

• Like 2