River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

45 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I don't see the problem with pushing and even expecting more from these gigantic corporations.

If the government isn't going to do anything, then local organizations are the only ones there to protect the average person. 

It’s not the corporations responsibility. As DDIG stated, they create job opportunities, taxes and local pipelines to development. They all seem to work with education programs to help people fine ways into the good paying jobs, it’s up to the individuals themselves to find the way. Seems like there’s a lot of people looking for handouts , while these companies provide hand ups. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

It’s not the corporations responsibility. As DDIG stated, they create job opportunities, taxes and local pipelines to development. They all seem to work with education programs to help people fine ways into the good paying jobs, it’s up to the individuals themselves to find the way. Seems like there’s a lot of people looking for handouts , while these companies provide hand ups. 

They ask for things from the city, the city and it's residents ask for things from them. I don't see it as responsibility but about each entity (individuals, advocacy groups) getting as much as the other will give up, aka a negotiation. 

"hand ups" what does that even mean? haha

• Like 1

Who was saying in the Meet Up that this would be bridges? I thought it would be a tunnel from what I had heard. A tunnel will probably be easier from a logistics point and cheaper than a bridge too.

As far as solving problems from a corporate point of view, I think it can be a partnership as far as leadership and ideas, but government is still responsible for getting the mule team together and plowing the field, not to mention paying for the mule team and the plow. Corporations can come up with solutions on how to do it better and creative options and ideas to help pay for it. But it is not their job to do it!

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Who was saying in the Meet Up that this would be bridges? I thought it would be a tunnel from what I had heard. A tunnel will probably be easier from a logistics point and cheaper than a bride too.

Pretty sure I was one of the folks that mentioned a bridge. An underpass is definitely suprising for a group that seemingly loves bridges (I say this in gest). The bike pedestrian tunnel will need to be wide, well lit and security monitored or it will become even more murdery than the Ellington pedestrian bridge just south of the Cleveland exit. 

I wonder if the reason for the tunnel is leaving room for future widening of the highway (which I personally think is silly).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess we will see how all this will look once the plans are hatched and we see what it will look like. I share your concern from a safety POV as far as a crime issue. That will be a hot potato in the future and a blind person can see it coming. We will be looking back saying what were they thinking, but we know what they are thinking......cost!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

The Interstate is only about 7-8 feet above grade; lowering the roadway is going to be a drainage hassle as it would have to be only about 5-6 feet above the river. 

Agreed.  The land is already so low there, the tunnel is sure to flood on a regular basis.  

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

The bike pedestrian tunnel will need to be wide, well lit and security monitored or it will become even more murdery than the Ellington pedestrian bridge just south of the Cleveland exit. 

LOL, good point!  I can't imagine voluntarily  walking through a long tunnel at night that is leading me straight towards Dickerson Pike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Armacing said:

Agreed.  The land is already so low there, the tunnel is sure to flood on a regular basis.  

LOL, good point!  I can't imagine voluntarily  walking through a long tunnel at night that is leading me straight towards Dickerson Pike.

Maybe we are missing the point and the tunnel is actually the path across the river to Germantown. Hopefully glass ceiling like at an aquarium.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My guess is that Monroe still has around 30 acres + or - to work with. I am thinking that Oracle is going to buy around 5 more acres of land that Monroe does not own from other property owner on the other side of Cowan.

I think Monroe may have a little down on the southern end , between Oracle and the Creek Lane project, but the lines are muddled right now as we do not know who is buying what right now.

The majority of Monroes holdings will be on the north side of the property close to I 65.

With his two land sales he's probably quadrupled his total investment atleast, so he's probably in no hurry.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Oracle buys on East bank for 253 million. There is a story on the Nashville Post. Now my question is do we want two threads, one for the Oracle project and one for the Creekside project.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/oracle-spends-more-than-253m-on-river-north-property/article_f36a64d6-c3dd-11eb-ad2e-e32b1898f861.html

That may as well be the official announcement. I know the state hasn’t finalized their portion yet, and they haven’t scheduled a joint announcement, but I’d say it’s a done deal. 

I think one thread is good, there will be plenty to discuss as Oracle re-zones and plans out infrastructure while Creek Lane prepares for and starts their buildout. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Oracle buys on East bank for 253 million. There is a story on the Nashville Post. Now my question is do we want two threads, one for the Oracle project and one for the Creekside project.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/oracle-spends-more-than-253m-on-river-north-property/article_f36a64d6-c3dd-11eb-ad2e-e32b1898f861.html

I am thinking we need to have two threads as Oracle is now a completely separate entity from the remainder of the River North developments.  Of course we already have the second thread in place that you notated that actually has more entries in it than this River North thread. 

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I looked for an Oracle thread but could not find one, so I am in favor of doing this. Let me know if you want me to do it or if you wan to do it Mark. I think we can just start fresh with a few of the news articles from the past few weeks and go from there and divert all new traffic to the new thread. My guess we will eventually have to have a third thread, one for the remainder of River North, one for Oracle , and one for Creek Lane. 

River North looks to have moved so much faster than the biggest optimist in our group which is fine with me, however I am a little sad the original vision did not happen, but I didn't have any illusion it would.

The thread was called Oracle in Nashville.  I updated the title slightly.  Here's the link:

Oracle, 60 acres at River North, 1,200,000 sq. ft. of space, $1.2B Investment, 8,500 jobs 

• Like 2