River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, ZestyEd said:

I didn't see your post before I commented on that other thread...but I agree wholeheartedly.   It's a blank canvas in the middle of the loop right next to an interstate where I'm sure access would be granted to a company that large.  To me...it's perfect timing.  Now, it will just be up to the city and state to put together an incentive package the likes this world has never seen.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

Definitely going to be some states clamoring for that. They'll want a climate that's very friendly, welcoming, and open to everyone (political slant intended) and one state I can see knocked out of consideration is Texas.

Texas has Austin, which has a lot of Amazon's competitors (VMware, Dell) as well as their recent acquisition (Whole Foods). I understand the other part of that (and please... just... not today), but I wouldn't consider them off the table.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZestyEd said:

Only things is, the article mentioned that Amazon's looking for a city with an "International Airport," which I assume they mean a hub (Seattle is a Delta hub).

10 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

Texas has Austin, which has a lot of Amazon's competitors (VMware, Dell) as well as their recent acquisition (Whole Foods). I understand the other part of that (and please... just... not today), but I wouldn't consider them off the table.

Besides, most big cities in red / purple states tend to be fairly liberal any way. After all, the city with the biggest concentration of Fortune 500 companies is in Georgia of all places.

Cost of living may factor into their decision as well. They may have an even easier time attracting talent in a place where one can get the same amenities as San Francisco / Seattle for a fraction of the price.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Besides, most big cities in red / purple states tend to be fairly liberal any way. After all, the city with the biggest concentration of Fortune 500 companies is in Georgia of all places.

NYC has 45

Houston has 18

Atlanta has 12

Chicago 10

Dallas 10

But I agree with your point overall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoundScan said:

NYC has 45

Houston has 18

Atlanta has 12

Chicago 10

Dallas 10

But I agree with your point overall.

Ah yes, thanks for the correction.  NYC will probably always be king in terms of Fortune 500 concentration, because it's NYC.

But yes, companies in Texas and Georgia have no problem attracting employees in spite of the state politics (and their major cities are also the fastest growing in the country).

1 hour ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Ah yes, thanks for the correction.  NYC will probably always be king in terms of Fortune 500 concentration, because it's NYC.

But yes, companies in Texas and Georgia have no problem attracting employees in spite of the state politics (and their major cities are also the fastest growing in the country).

Texas and Georgia attract businesses and employees BECAUSE OF their state politics.  I hate talking politics on this board...but there are actually people who frequent this board who believe the exact opposite of what others on this board proclaim as absolute truth.

Mods...if you want to allow the political back and forth, I'm game.  

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Texas and Georgia attract businesses and employees BECAUSE OF their state politics.  I hate talking politics on this board...but there are actually people who frequent this board who believe the exact opposite of what others on this board proclaim as absolute truth.

To be clear, I was referring to politics related to social issues (not taxes & business regulations).

But my intention wasn't to derail the topic. It was merely to correct another poster who brought up politics in the first place.  Sorry everyone. 

Edited by urbanplanet17

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

=hears the sound of dmillsphoto collapsing from a massive heart attack=

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CEOs and their upper echelons may be keenly attuned to (and influenced by) political culture, but based on my experience, employees don't care. For them, nothing is hipper than jobs and affordability.

Take it from me, we North Carolinians are supposed to be a bunch of Neanderthals. But I meet professionals every day that have moved here, from Deep Blue climes, and I don't hear boo from them about politics.

42 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

Indeed, so many businesses are flooding into those states to take advantage of those wonderful "progressive" values.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2016/02/the-spiky-geography-of-venture-capital-in-the-us/470208/

It's easy to see where the real money is flowing, and it clearly isn't to the low-tax, low-CLI meccas. Sure, we get the big boys' call centers, manufacturing plants, and low-level support staff because our labor and cost of living is cheap and unions are sparse, but the headquarters and R&D centers with the highest-paying jobs and highly-educated talent are not knocking down our door. Perhaps low taxes aren't enough?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Rivers are a significant part of geography. So, perhaps, it is apropos that a Chicago-based entity should look to West Coast river towns Portland and Sacramento as it attempts to reinvent a large swath of the Cumberland River’s east bank.

The location-themed elements aside, Monroe Investments seeks to radically transform about 125 acres of industrial property, sited north of Jefferson Street, with large-scale office, retail and residential buildings. An ambitious undertaking, River North likely will require at least 20 years to fully evolve.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/20978339/rolling-on-the-river

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 12.13.06 PM.png

• Like 4