River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

While there is a great chance that this is just a vision for the site, I am just excited that a developer is finally taking the East Bank seriously as a new frontier for development. I feel that it has been overlooked for way too long, and a development anything close to what the renders show us would be a fantastic use. I hope that this development can be the first step towards a sort of canyon of urbanity/greenspace surrounding the Cumberland. 

• Like 4

You can absolutely count me among those who would be beyond thrilled to see this happen, but I'm enormously skeptical that we'll see anything close to what's shown in the renderings during our lifetimes. We can't even get buildings that tall three blocks from KVB in SoBro, let alone all the way north of Jefferson on the East Bank.

Plus, the developer is mighty optimistic with his connectors over the interstate. The interstate is already above grade in those locations and a connector that doesn't go under the interstate would be soaring way up in the sky...

But it's also a mile from my house. It'd be great for me!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

You can absolutely count me among those who would be beyond thrilled to see this happen, but I'm enormously skeptical that we'll see anything close to what's shown in the renderings during our lifetimes. We can't even get buildings that tall three blocks from KVB in SoBro, let alone all the way north of Jefferson on the East Bank.

Plus, the developer is mighty optimistic with his connectors over the interstate. The interstate is already above grade in those locations and a connector that doesn't go under the interstate would be soaring way up in the sky...

But it's also a mile from my house. It'd be great for me!

Exactly!! Everytime a tall proposal comes to the core Metro tries hard to lower the stories, but the looking at the renderings, the smallest buildings looks like 25 stories, the tallest is probably 45-50+

22 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

I think the pics show they anticipate the flood issue, I would expect some cars may need to be moved when the flood waters are on the way but they're fully cognizant.  I think this is feasible as hell, it is like the Gulch.  They have deep pockets, they're in it for the long haul, and they own the whole thing, it's not going to fall apart because some bank doesn't want to finance a building. No NIMBY's there because there's NOTHING there.  It'll take some time, but I bet in a few years there's something significant in place.   

Yes...I imagine it will be a little more like the Gulch than like the CBD.  10-20 story buildings with some low-rise infill.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Flatrock said:

A random thought: 50 acres to the city - could this be a potential site for an MLS stadium? With greenways and bridges, accessibility to the CBD, East Nashville, SoBro, Germantown, etc. could open up lots of possibilities for a stadium. Just sayin'.....

That's a really good idea and location. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I don't think there has been much reasoning behind some of the height restrictions in Nashville. It is hap-hazard at best, IMO.  The good news for this development, if it happens, is that Metro is considering extending the Downtown Code into this area, which would allow for much taller buildings.

Thank you for the answer. 

Re: the flood wall. One thing to remember is that building flood walls or levees, raising the ground level, etc. doesn't really solve the problem of flooding, it just pushes the flooding problems from one location to another. While it makes sense to protect areas with high property values, such as the CBD or potentially this project, the overuse of flood control structures can create more problems downstream, or in extreme cases, upstream as a narrow river channel flanked by control structures works as a sort of bottleneck for the flow of water. Obviously the developers of this project, like Metro in constructing the downtown flood wall, have to coordinate with stakeholders like the US Army Corps of Engineers and determine the potential impacts of altering the floodplain elevation and/or building a control structure in a flood situation, but ultimately a more cost-effective and simpler solution would be to avoid development and promote green space in floodplains regardless of the potential development value, giving floodwater a place to spread out and slow down and reduce the stresses on the places where you really need protection. Not saying it has to be this project (though I'll be a negative Nancy in saying that I don't see this project happening to this scale anyway), but it has to be somewhere.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^I definitely don't think any land near downtown should be left as "floodplain"...if at all possible.  I'm sure there are ways around going that far...as you mentioned working with the Corps to establish a plan that does not adversely affect those downstream.

There are ways of turning this prospect into a value-added scenario. One example is the Trinity River Project in Dallas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_River_Project

• Like 3

Interview with Hal Clark from Civil Site Design, who is serving as one of the designers of the River North project.  Subjects covered include converting the Cherokee Marine building into a waterfront market/retail venue, the street grid,connectivity with Germantown and East Nashville, flood prevention, and more:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/people/article/20849089/qa-civil-site-design-groups-hal-clark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...