River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

27 minutes ago, timmay143 said:

We could have Bachelorette parties on boats and barges now!  Who needs pedal taverns and tractors?!

I'm all for free markets, but I really wish those horrible things would be banned from public roads in the city... They're dangerous and a nuisance.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Opryland's water taxis were named Miss Minnie and Mr Roy (for M Pearl & R  Acuff). They ran between docks downtown and at Opryland, near the General Jackson's dock, from 1998 to 2001.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2001/06/11/story2.html

I seem to recall a big reason they got rid of the water taxis was because they were causing erosion along the river banks between downtown and Opryland due to their wake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Nothing an erosion barrier couldn't have solved.

I still am not convinced taxi runs down the river would make a significant impact on erosion, especially since I would assume that in most of the region erosion-prone zones have already been treated with rip-rap and other barriers by the Corps of Engineers.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Infrastructure at first, but they should have to submit to Planning. The good news here is that they do not have to answer to MDHA as this area is not in a redevelopment district. There is talk however of extending the downtown code into this area, which would mean taller buildings, but would have to answer to the DTC review committee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Infrastructure at first, but they should have to submit to Planning. The good news here is that they do not have to answer to MDHA as this area is not in a redevelopment district. There is talk however of extending the downtown code into this area, which would mean taller buildings, but would have to answer to the DTC review committee.

Isn't it the MDHA reviews that force them to do things like actively address their street frontage, add public amenities, etc.?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

I drove around the area earlier and it looks like they are starting to clear it.  I know this one will be a long time in the making but still, it's incredible to think someone even proposed doing this here, it looks like something that would only happen in much larger cities.

Yea, I still wonder where the people and companies that are supposed to fill this will even come from. Even though it's apparently moving along, the "old Nashville" in me can't help but be skeptical. We're talking about little old Nashville after all.

• Like 1