River North, 105-acre Cowan Street corridor, Phase One: five 4-7 stories, 650 residences, 85 K sq. ft. retail, 50 K sq. ft. office, mile long riverfront park; Phase Two: two 12 story office buildings, pedestrian bridge across river

markhollin

On 10/17/2018 at 5:16 PM, MLBrumby said:

I don't expect it to evolve exactly as depicted in the renderings. However, I do foresee within a relatively few years (decade) to become similar to The Gulch as a residential hub with amenities (including office) adjacent to the CBD. I like the access to the water (The Landings), and a pedestrian bridge if that is ever to materialize. 

I just noticed however that there is a very succinct post on another website that says a "very credible rumor has this as Amazon and Morgan Stanley".  Have to admit it's fun to think about... before reality hits. That thing is going to Washington (VA&MD). 

Its really weird to look back on this post now with what we know about amazon lol.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:24 AM, PHofKS said:

Tex just posted on SSP that his source is now equivocating (my words) on what she said earlier. She is from Seattle he said, but gave no details on her role or job. She seemed very specific with her information at first.

As for Morgan Stanley, I could find no indication they were leaving Manhattan, but were considering a move to Hudson Yards in the upper west side of Manhattan.

I recently learned that Morgan Stanley has relocated to Baltimore. Don't have a link. I'll look for one later, but I'm out the door to go to my Granddaughters Christmas show.

Grandbabies > Urban Planet!!

• Like 1

Well, I have some egg on my face.

giphy.gif

I'm unable to find that link regarding a Morgan Stanley move to Baltimore. They do have a large presence there already and I felt certain at the time that I was reading a reliable post that the move was a done deal. But I'm having doubts, now. Sorry.

Maybe hope is still alive for Nashville!!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/3673304?initial=1&searchType=permit&orderBy=fullAddress ASC,permitNumber ASC&searchText=&page=1&searchCode=ADDR

They applied for Stormwater Grading Permits yesterday for 520 Cowan St and 600 Cowan Street. 

“Proposed roadways and infrastructure for Phase 1 of River North development”

This is probably part of the 20 million committed by Metro for infrastructure improvements, so I would not call this u/c yet until the first permits for buildings are released.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Sure would be nice if that 20 million was being spent on improving the pathetic infrastructure in other parts of the city before we go building whole new districts from the ground up.

Yes, but also, this city desperately needs new tax revenue too, that is NOT in the TDZ. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

Couldn't the council just easily rezone the TDZ?

I don't believe it is that easy. Imagine you investing in the bonds that paid for the construction of the music city center. You felt confident buying these bonds because of the boundaries of the TDZ. Now 10 years later they changed the TDZ in half, and made your bonds riskier. 

Wouldn't you be upset? I imagine lawsuits would happen, too. Perhaps @bwithers1 can expand further. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Sure would be nice if that 20 million was being spent on improving the pathetic infrastructure in other parts of the city before we go building whole new districts from the ground up.

or paying a few teachers, keeping buses operating, any number of things 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, nashvylle said:

I don't believe it is that easy. Imagine you investing in the bonds that paid for the construction of the music city center. You felt confident buying these bonds because of the boundaries of the TDZ. Now 10 years later they changed the TDZ in half, and made your bonds riskier. 

Wouldn't you be upset? I imagine lawsuits would happen, too. Perhaps @bwithers1 can expand further. 

Spot on, @nashvylle.  While I haven't read the bond docs (they can easily go to 200+ pages), I'm sure that any changes to the conditions in them could trigger a technical default.  This would be bad, very bad.  Big developers would suddenly stay away from the city, shutting down the pipeline of big announcements.  Lawsuits would drain our coffers for years to come.  We would greatly reduce our ability to provide services to current residents.  And on and on and on.

It's an example of what Bill Clinton meant when he said, early in his first administration, "You mean all my policies are subject to a bunch of f------ bond traders?"  To quote the book of Proverbs, the borrower is servant to the lender.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, subkyle said:

It’s very interesting that metro is investing all this money on this property. Do you guys think that this signifies that metro has confidence that the owners will get this developed?

I think it is a pretty attractive tool for the city's Economic Development team when it is out pitching. It will happen at some point.

• Like 4

I am sure it will be developed at some point and will be a slow process, but we have to always keep the construction hopper full and have alternatives for businesses to move to even if I am not 100% in favor of this site. But it is still better than all of the other sites on that side of the river as it is closest to downtown.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...