markhollin

Drury Plaza Hotel, 21 stories, 390 rooms, NW corner of KVB & 3rd Ave. South - UC

60 posts in this topic

I noticed the naming in the images is Drury Plaza so this is the top end of their brand portfolio. This will be a nice addition to the downtown offerings.

1 person likes this

We will probably know more after the MDHA meeting this morning. A lot depends how the meeting goes and the developers will be more willing to talk.

BTW, the rendering is similar to what we saw at one of the forum meets several months  ago. It was more of a massing rendering, but still somewhat similar and about the same height.

2 people like this

Multiple wins!  Activates another corner. Requires the demolition of a flat, nondescript building at that prominent corner.  It also blocks the view of that p.o.$. Hyatt from that corner (The Hyatt is just an eyesore whose exterior finish/color even screams "C-H-E-A-P!").  And the design is not unattractive. Looks to be nearly as tall as the 25-story Omni. 

Edited by MLBrumby
3 people like this

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Multiple wins!  Activates another corner. Requires the demolition of a flat, nondescript building at that prominent corner.  It also blocks the view of that p.o.$. Hyatt from that corner (The Hyatt is just an eyesore whose exterior finish/color even screams "C-H-E-A-P!").  And the design is not unattractive. Looks to be nearly as tall as the 25-story Omni. 

This is probably what I am the most excited about.

Losing the Willie Nelson mural though......always kinda liked it.

MDHA does not want to lose the Willie Nelson mural, eh? :shades:

1 person likes this

I like the design, it fits that area well. Hopefully it gets approved next go-round.

I like it, it'll be a good addition to the area. Any new hotels are welcome. I just did a Hotwire search for this weekend and anything downtown or on West End that is 3 star or higher is $250+. There is money to be made in the hotel business. 

On a side note, I have to get the image of mid range Interstate exit hotel in the Midwest out of my head when thinking of the Drury brand. We always stayed at one while visiting family outside of St. Louis when I was a kid and that has stuck. They need to revamp their logo or something.

On 8/16/2016 at 0:08 PM, MLBrumby said:

MDHA Deferred = "Doesn't fit MDHA guidelines for design", "Go back to the architect,  make it shorter and ugly....completely displeasing to the eyes. Only then will we pass next month with this recommendation met"  

4 people like this

From today's Nashville Post regarding MDHA deferring on approval for the Drury Plaza Hotel:

"The deferral on the Drury Inn project vote comes only three weeks after the committee deferred voting on its site plan and design.

"At the time, the committee said more details are needed related to the building’s garage and Third Avenue elevation. Today, the committee said Nashville-based developer Ragland Corp. and architect Gresham Smith and Partners need to work with the planning department staff on various details.

"The hotel building would offer an address of 315 Third Ave. S. Ragland Corp. owns the property, having acquired the one-acre site in 2004 for $1.175 million."

What details could they possibly want???? I'm confused by the deferrals on this project.

1 person likes this

Crazy. I really hope this doesn't fall into limbo for a long while now.

Headline at the Post this morning says this was approved by MDHA yesterday.  Behind the paywall.

3 people like this

Nothing really to report other than it is now approved. Hopefully they will not drag this one out and it gets started soon.

Sorry for being MIA guys. Been in NOLA vacationing.

3 people like this

Is there an updated rendering? Wasn't that what part of the deferred vote was about?

Nothing was released as far as I know. I am sure there were some subtle changes, but I expect the building to be pretty much the same.

2 people like this

Looks like it will be about the height of the Encore overall.  Solid infill. Excited to see if they release an updated rendering, I'm sure if they do it wont' be much of a change.

2 people like this