markhollin

Drury Plaza Hotel, 21 stories, 390 rooms, NW corner of KVB & 3rd Ave. South - UC

I find that yelp is still a decent resource as long as there are enough ratings for a particular place to create a large enough sample size to render the effect of the crazy ratings negligible at best.  But yeah, I agree that on yelp there are far too many people who have no sense of moderation and either rate some random Taco Bell five stars "CUZ TB IS AWESUM" or some local mom n pop place one star because there was one too many ice cubes in their iced tea.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

The problem with Yelp et al. is that to find utility in the site you have to operate under the assumption that the people around you are reasonable, well-moderated individuals who generally research a topic before speaking on it and that for me is just a bridge too far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always used Yelp for one thing and one thing only: to scroll through real pictures of food people were served. It's not perfect - you can't always tell how good food is by looking  at it - but it was close enough to be useful. The problem I find now is that most restaurants stuff the page as soon as they open with a bunch of staged pictures of their food. It's annoying to scroll through, and some of them are smart enough to make it look spontaneous.