Drury Plaza Hotel, 22 stories, 390 rooms, NW corner of KVB & 3rd Ave. South

markhollin

40 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Back on topic: The Drury blends in fine but is hardly inspiring in its design, which seems about typical for the Drury properties that I've seen around the Midwest.

Then there’s the Drury Plaza Hotel in Cleveland (Of course, a historic renovation is a totally different animal)

32393423-D6F3-411B-91C8-459E7E996D4E.jpeg

03CFBF3A-5529-476A-9D2B-1B28BC51AE3B.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, Ingram said:

There was nothing there years ago. You ought to be glad someone took a chance. You think people have foreknowledge of what was going to happen? Even then developers will build what is financially feasible.

I am glad they took a chance.  Not having them there is not my position nor am I criticizing them for being there.  They are both great alternatives to the pricier hotels being built.  Just as the Drury will be.  I simply don't like their design.  I didn't when they were built because a vision of SoBro had been discussed by the city.  And, while the vision of SoBro has evolved since the early days of its development, it was still part of the downtown core.  The vision was always to mesh it into the fabric of downtown, while establishing a unique extension of downtown.  It was not to establish a side of downtown town that would look like Brentwood.  My problem is placing what they designed primarily as a suburban model in the CBD .  That's all.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 10:18 AM, Ingram said:

I don't see anything wrong with either Hyatt Place or The Margaritaville. I'll bet conventioneers and other visitors are going to love staying at a themed hotel like the Margaritaville.

I agree.

None of us on this board are the target demographic for the Margaritaville hotel.  Just take a walk down Broadway and you'll see who they're targeting and I promise you... none of them give two-shakes as to the exterior of that building.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I'm sorry to ask this dumb question.... When did the crane get taken down here??? I looked on the previous page of the thread and it was still there in most of the photos. I thought they were going to have to helicopter this one out??

At one time, a poster here had said it would be taken out by helicopter. But, as @Sean blackdog noted, this was taken down via mobile crane