Drury Plaza Hotel, 22 stories, 390 rooms, NW corner of KVB & 3rd Ave. South

markhollin

I find that yelp is still a decent resource as long as there are enough ratings for a particular place to create a large enough sample size to render the effect of the crazy ratings negligible at best.  But yeah, I agree that on yelp there are far too many people who have no sense of moderation and either rate some random Taco Bell five stars "CUZ TB IS AWESUM" or some local mom n pop place one star because there was one too many ice cubes in their iced tea.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

I always used Yelp for one thing and one thing only: to scroll through real pictures of food people were served. It's not perfect - you can't always tell how good food is by looking  at it - but it was close enough to be useful. The problem I find now is that most restaurants stuff the page as soon as they open with a bunch of staged pictures of their food. It's annoying to scroll through, and some of them are smart enough to make it look spontaneous. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 10:41 AM, nashvylle said:

thank you for the photos @Bark At The Sun and @Sean blackdog... we were soon going to have to rename this thread to "Yelp" lol, jk. 

Drury18.jpeg It's amazing how much better this hotel looks than the Hyatt Place. 

The best thing that I hope will happen as it relates to the Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn is that taller buildings will be built around them to hide them and or make them unnoticeable.  Those designs never should have been approved for SoBro.  They fit more into an office park, a town center complex or a bedroom community/city like Murfreesboro.  Not the CBD of a growing city.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

The best thing that I hope will happen as it relates to the Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn is that taller buildings will be built around them to hide them and or make them unnoticeable.  Those designs never should have been approved for SoBro.  They fit more into an office park, a town center complex or a bedroom community/city like Murfreesboro.  Not the CBD of a growing city.

There was nothing there years ago. You ought to be glad someone took a chance. You think people have foreknowledge of what was going to happen? Even then developers will build what is financially feasible.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

The Hampton Inn was a pioneer in this part of town when it was developed- Pre Music City Center. It was definitely a risk. Hyatt Place, and IMO Margaritaville Hotel, are poor design. 

I give Hyatt Place a pass since the bar for design in that area wasn't very high when that hotel when up. But as for the Margaritaville Hotel -- they saw how that neighborhood was booming and had a chance to do something impressive, but they didn't even match the Hyatt Place in terms of exterior design. Massive letdown.

Back on topic: The Drury blends in fine but is hardly inspiring in its design, which seems about typical for the Drury properties that I've seen around the Midwest.

• Like 1

You're always going to have crappy designed hotels. They're all over ATL and other booming cities. And they've been built for a long time. The hotel building next door to the u/c Grand Hyatt (I believe) was built as a "nice" Sheraton. It was considered a top place for a conference back in the 1970s. I think it's now a Holiday Inn, still crappy and unnoticeable, but actually looks better than it ever has.  I see the same thing in updated 'dress' with both the Hampton (with parking lot), then the Hyatt Place (with parking garage). Sort of the evolution of crappy design. I'm sure their owners consider them to be cash cows.