Heritage Hill / Cherry Hill / Wealthy Street Updates

joeDowntown

16 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Hoping someone swoops in fast and opens a new restaurant. It is a great building and location.

Rehablitation of owners evil ways is more like it. ;)

I think I mentioned this above, but I heard (overheard is more like it :ph34r:) that it's going to be a Mediterranean restaurant. Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but they already have a location on 28th.

Joe

13 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Good News! I feel like that will be something different enough from the rest of the neighborhood to really carve out its niche.

Couldn't agree more. The dining options in that area are pretty good already and now to add another type of cuisine, total bonus. 

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

The most 'Wealthy St.' news ever on this thread. 

I can't pick up a prescription, go to the gym, or buy groceries in the East Hills.  But at least now I can get fresh Kombucha after I go to yoga  and get a $60 haircut on every other block.  

The "eyeroll" emoji available on here does not do convey the necessary sarcasm I wish to  right now. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

Eye roll all you want but there is obviously a demand for the business that have opened up. It's a lot better than having old abandoned buildings. 

Not complaining about abandoned buildings being rebirthed and repurposed at all., but I won't apologize for questioning the long term viability of some of the businesses filling these spaces.  I love the neighborhood resurgences all over this city.    The East Hills in particular has filled up with these quaint "botiquey" places, but is still largely void of everyday practicality.  At what point does the neighborhood reach the threshold for the everyday practical things to move in as well? 

A sustainable urban neighborhood should be completely walkable and the East Hills has the perfect bones for it.  If you live in the East Hills you still need to drive for groceries, prescription drugs, a place to workout (if you do more than yoga) ect.   Kombucha is great, but it just adds to the list of niche in that neighborhood.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

Not complaining about abandoned buildings being rebirthed and repurposed at all., but I won't apologize for questioning the long term viability of some of the businesses filling these spaces.  I love the neighborhood resurgences all over this city.    The East Hills in particular has filled up with these quaint "botiquey" places, but is still largely void of everyday practicality.  At what point does the neighborhood reach the threshold for the everyday practical things to move in as well? 

A sustainable urban neighborhood should be completely walkable and the East Hills has the perfect bones for it.  If you live in the East Hills you still need to drive for groceries, prescription drugs, a place to workout (if you do more than yoga) ect.   Kombucha is great, but it just adds to the list of niche in that neighborhood.  

Again, we're talking about the necessity of cars in West Michigan society. East Hills is super cool, with avocado toast, fancy lattes, and $40 haircuts. But we can still drive our cars to a Great Clips, Meijer, and McDonalds's if that's what the consumer wants. 

5 hours ago, MJLO said:

While I’d like to see these things as well, there obviously must be economics at play that don’t make it viable. 

I think it’s insane that there isn’t a Walgreens or CVS downtown, but they probably have a lot more data than I do... :) :)

Joe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MJLO said:

Sounds like a business opportunity MJLO. :) You can open your gym next to my hardware store. 

• Like 1

I get what MJLO is saying. We get unique and attractive businesses over here, and I love seeing the excitement and activity they generate. However, they are very sensitive retail outlets that wont last long if buying patterns shift even slightly. We've had lots of wonderful places close even in great economic times. When they close, you kind of have to hold your breath that they can be replaced with something just as good and trendy so that the momentum of the area doesnt slow.

And truth be told, a small and orderly rotation in and out of niche retail concepts is healthy so that the area doesnt become stale.

I do also think that some more everyday useful retail would really root the district in people's minds as more than just boutique stores and niche lifestyle outlets. However, the culture of the area isn't one where people will support those places enough just yet since you can just drive to Ace Hardware, to CVS, or to the YMCA.

Or they only will support it if they fit into the aesthetics that "trendy" businesses sport these days. Anything with a logo like this:

http://www.sleeplessmedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/hipster_logos.jpg  :lol:

But we still have tons of undeveloped space around here, so there is still time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sounds like a business opportunity MJLO. :) You can open your gym next to my hardware store. 

I know I'm all over here acting all high and mighty practical, but not presenting any solutions per usual lol.

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

While I’d like to see these things as well, there obviously must be economics at play that don’t make it viable. 

I think it’s insane that there isn’t a Walgreens or CVS downtown, but they probably have a lot more data than I do... :) :)

Joe

I'd say based on the success at Bridge Street Market there's a definite demand in a few neighborhoods.  I don't think anyone at these places are even looking into it.  It will probably take a developer in conjunction with the city to incentivize brands like that to take the perceived risk.  Per usual, experts sitting in offices outside of W. Michigan proclaiming the area isn't ready. 

• Like 1

I don’t know. I was blown away that Meijer didn’t put a pharmacy in the Bridge Street Market. And with Walgreen’s all over the city (but not downtown), you’d have to think the economics don’t work. 

Not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer. Just wondering what a brand like Walgreens (which has many urban stores) DOESN’T see in downtown Grand Rapids. And what is the magic number to get them to open downtown? There are plenty of residential developments in need of a retail partner. I don’t know how much space is available, but the Morton seems like an ideal location. Plenty of residential, office, and business travelers (I always end up at a Walgreens/CVS on business trips, but maybe I’m in the minority and am super forgetful :)) in that area. 

Joe

19 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t know. I was blown away that Meijer didn’t put a pharmacy in the Bridge Street Market. And with Walgreen’s all over the city (but not downtown), you’d have to think the economics don’t work. 

Not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer. Just wondering what a brand like Walgreens (which has many urban stores) DOESN’T see in downtown Grand Rapids. And what is the magic number to get them to open downtown? There are plenty of residential developments in need of a retail partner. I don’t know how much space is available, but the Morton seems like an ideal location. Plenty of residential, office, and business travelers (I always end up at a Walgreens/CVS on business trips, but maybe I’m in the minority and am super forgetful :)) in that area. 

Joe

My guess would be that historically there has probably been a large Medicaid population in the central region. Medicaid doesn't cover prescription drugs last I knew, leaving the financial burden on the patient. The influx of working professionals into Grand Rapids is recent within the last decade. However, I would think they would realize that transition is taking place and accommodate for that. For whatever reason, businesses seem to be very slow to realize Grand Rapids' growth and potential - as if it's something they think can't last.

21 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I don’t know how much space is available, but the Morton seems like an ideal location. Plenty of residential, office, and business travelers (I always end up at a Walgreens/CVS on business trips, but maybe I’m in the minority and am super forgetful :)) in that area. 

If memory serves, there was once some discussions about Rockford being eager to get Walgreens into Morton.  Obviously, they didn't.  They've gotten nothing in there.

My guess would be that historically there has probably been a large Medicaid population in the central region. Medicaid doesn't cover prescription drugs last I knew, leaving the financial burden on the patient. The influx of working professionals into Grand Rapids is recent within the last decade. However, I would think they would realize that transition is taking place and accommodate for that. For whatever reason, businesses seem to be very slow to realize Grand Rapids' growth and potential - as if it's something they think can't last.
As uncus showed, Medicaid is very much involved with covering prescription costs. For those who have "traditional" Medicaid (the poorest of the poor, the disabled, immigrants, etc.) prescription costs are covered completely. For persons with a Healthy Michigan plan (the Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act for which Medicaid contracts with insurance carriers like Blue Cross and Priority Health to administer plan benefits) prescription costs are either covered completely or subject to small co-pays that are not more than a few dollars per script.

Now, as to whether the percentage of Medicaid recipients would influence Walgreens decision to put in a downtown location: I don't think so, even if we consider whether Walgreens would prefer commercially insured or Medicaid patients. Consulting the reference here:
https://www.mlive.com/expo/erry-2018/04/08f422a3824447/see_number_of_medicaid_recipie.html?appSession=8M6267IZVT76F7W0TZV285R778F016I3SUZWW6DS6VKKE00EB2YH510R8F1M0G0FJE518V71188L4PVTAL5011YUTZ7CMZ7ZM6177JJ37FX2UF4CKM843040VC6SW736&appSession=42SP1UNZX35F0K4768JO8H9IW7TKR74484G1I31C64ABEWFHL4548D2B00608U0U595770CHZQXBZ663161GLJ1O17Q0GEMS30CDG17PRRZF68PT4929POA4I6B2X3CB

we can see that while Kent County does rank #4 in the state, only 17% of the population is receiving traditional or expanded Medicaid. I can say also say from personal experience that while I do see a lot of Medicaid patients at my pharmacy on Alpine, I see a lot more commercially-insured patients. So, even if Walgreens were refraining from downtown because it turns out that Medicaid pays next to nothing to the pharmacy for filling the script (which is not necessarily true), there are plenty of commercially-insured patients out there whose business they might attract.

I think the real reason that we haven't seen a Walgreens/CVS downtown (as I have pointed out in the Michigan St thread, for further reading) is because the traffic simply isn't there to support a store. Pharmacies in urban locations like downtown GR are put in because there is sufficient foot traffic to keep the store running (and I say foot traffic because it'd be hard to find a good downtown location for a drive thru setup). Any patients that might be using a downtown pharmacy are already funneled to the Wege pharmacy behind Saint Mary's or the Meijer pharmacy in Butterworth. I would love to see a Walgreens/CVS downtown, but until the market demands it I don't think we'll get one.

Who knows. I could be wrong. =)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In the case of a downtown pharmacy like CVS, any ideas on how the breakdown of residents vs. visitors impacts the decision?  IE:  All the new hotels coming on line plus the potential Devos place hotel could result in a subset of people who may need to pick up various items that they either forgot or need that are part of the typical pharmacy inventory.

• 1 month later...

b5828e98c16f0686f46ec01424e4607b200 Madison,  corner of Madison and Cherry.....Former Church. The new owners are proposing a 22 unit apartment conversion for the Church.

They are planning on parking on the ground level of newer school side for 8 or 9 cars.  Out front, they are planning on a new parking lot, and parking in the back of the Church.  

The new owners have a LLC called Madison Lofts.

Edited by Morris
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, Morris said:

b5828e98c16f0686f46ec01424e4607b200 Madison,  corner of Madison and Cherry.....Former Church. The new owners are proposing a 22 unit apartment conversion for the Church.

They are planning on parking on the ground level of newer school side for 8 or 9 cars.  Out front, they are planning on a new parking lot, and parking in the back of the Church.  

The new owners have a LLC called Madison Lofts.

All things considered, it's probably the least parking-intensive use for the site.  Although, I think they still might be a little shy on parking.  At one point, there was some talk of putting parking in the basement of the building, but I'm not sure how feasible that ever was. 

Just thank your lucky stars it isn't proposed to be a 50 unit LIHTC project or a bunch of micro-units.  I'm not that area could have handled either without having severe problems either parking or crime.  The Section 8 project across the street for some reason has always had a significant crime problem. 

I suspect they're going to need variances up the wazoo for this project, and it will be interesting to see if the neighborhood ends up supporting it.  Tentatively, I think they probably should, since most of the alternatives are far worse.