Norfolk Gateway (It’s Complicated)

tallguy81"

I would like to see other views of this new design before making a decision...but it does look much better in that picture.  Attached garages off to the side takes away from the whole look of the building in my opinion. I'm assuming it's not all parking since it states there is a mixed use component. Why not blend them all together and give us a 30+ story tower as the "Gateway" into DT Norfolk. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Did the design change again, or is that a new angle? Also, is this now a twin tower setup, which might explain the hotel addition. Either way, I love it. 

EDIT: I see the connecting part of the building. I still love it. 

Edited by BFG

14 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Um...did we all already know that this project also contains a restaurant & a HOTEL with 150 keys??

http://hewv.com/projects/norfolk-gateway-office-tower/

ARCHITECTURE
Civic + Commercial, Administration + Offices

Norfolk, Virginia

May 2018 – Dec. 2020

20 stories

360,000-SF LEED Certified Class-A office tower

150 hotel rooms

fitness space, elevated restaurant, terraced outdoor amenity and break areas

Waterside connectivity and views

IMG_2121.PNG

IMG_2122.PNG

IF this is accurate, then that is no longer a 20-story tower. Previously it was 260,000 square feet and 20 stories. Now it is 360,000 square feet. Estimating 25,000 square feet per floor, I'd say we've gained 4 floors. That would make this a 24-story building.

• Like 1

The date hasn't been updated, but this is obviously the newest rendering. I STRONGLY suspect 20-stories is not an accurate figure. At bare minimum, we're at the 22-story figure that Jared Chalk gave a few months ago.

Edit: The news release says 20,000 sq ft floor plate, so we should actually gain 5 floors.

Unless the hotel is part of the shorter portion that wraps the parking garage, which would make sense actually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sani_Va said:

Is this a very tall 20 stories? In one of the pictures it looks quite a bit taller than Domionion Tower! 

That's only because of the perspective. The building is a lot closer in that rendering, which is why it looks taller. We'll *probably* get 300 ft out of this, which is about on par with the ICON tower. That'll still make it 40 ft shorter than Dominion. Speaking of Dominion, the new Dominion Energy building in Richmond is only 20 stories but 400 ft tall. I wish someone would design one of those for us, lol.

5 hours ago, vdogg said:

IF this is accurate, then that is no longer a 20-story tower. Previously it was 260,000 square feet and 20 stories. Now it is 360,000 square feet. Estimating 25,000 square feet per floor, I'd say we've gained 4 floors. That would make this a 24-story building.

5 hours ago, vdogg said:

The date hasn't been updated, but this is obviously the newest rendering. I STRONGLY suspect 20-stories is not an accurate figure. At bare minimum, we're at the 22-story figure that Jared Chalk gave a few months ago.

Edit: The news release says 20,000 sq ft floor plate, so we should actually gain 5 floors.

Unless the hotel is part of the shorter portion that wraps the parking garage, which would make sense actually.

I agree, and yet the listing still indicates 20...and I count 20. Interesting.

I wish they would stack this thing on top of the garage and aim for 30+! Now that would be a stellar way for Mr. HL to end a storied and exceptionally long career! 

BTW, very recently HL and his wife gave the Chrysler a Renoir oil.

2 hours ago, lammius said:

What do they mean by "Waterside connectivity?"

I think they mean sidewalk access and proximity lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vdogg said:

That's only because of the perspective. The building is a lot closer in that rendering, which is why it looks taller. We'll *probably* get 300 ft out of this, which is about on par with the ICON tower. That'll still make it 40 ft shorter than Dominion. Speaking of Dominion, the new Dominion Energy building in Richmond is only 20 stories but 400 ft tall. I wish someone would design one of those for us, lol.

The pedestrian bridge makes me think the two are just about directly across from each other. I may just be wanting this to be the "Big One" we've all been yearning for so bad. :dontknow:

Screenshot_20190710-192441.jpg

21 minutes ago, Sani_Va said:

The pedestrian bridge makes me think the two are just about directly across from each other. I may just be wanting this to be the "Big One" we've all been yearning for so bad. :dontknow:

Screenshot_20190710-192441.jpg

The pedestrian bridge that’s circled in the foreground has been torn down. The one behind it is still standing.

• Thanks 1

Between this and the CHKD tower, I feel like Norfolk may have turned a corner architecture wise. No more bland EIFS paneled monstrosities. Modern architecture using modern material and building something worthy of a major city, finally. Even the EVMS tower has a modern design. My only problem is River Tower, I really wish we had kept the original design on that.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Been a while since we’ve heard anything on this and I’m getting concerned. I’m really hoping we can get this off the ground before the economy falters again. There’s already signs of a slowdown and if things progress too far it’ll be a long time before we get this tower.  :(

5 hours ago, vdogg said:

Been a while since we’ve heard anything on this and I’m getting concerned. I’m really hoping we can get this off the ground before the economy falters again. There’s already signs of a slowdown and if things progress too far it’ll be a long time before we get this tower.  :(

There aren't really many signs of a slowdown, I think that's just what the media wants us to believe.  The US economy is pretty stable and solid.