Norfolk Gateway (It’s Complicated)

tallguy81"

I can't think of anywhere along the line that would have enough room to accommodate twin towers on both sides of the track. Maybe the MacArthur station or somewhere at City Hall? Would love to see the corner of City Hall and St. Paul, but the tracks wouldn't be able to go through those two buildings, I don't think.

(More glass on the renderings, please)

Thinking out of the box a bit ('cause I can't see anywhere in DT it could go)- after seeing the Norfolk 2025 vision (or whatever year that was), I'm thinking Miltary Circle mall redevelopment.  It's has "retail mall" components in the site plan and they are envision light rail to go from Newtown- down K'ville-between the Barry Robinson Center and St. Mary's Home-thru Mil. Circle Mall and down Mil. Circle Rd.

You have your mall, light rail component, office and new town center design for that area's redevelopment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

Looking at the diagram it seems that the towers would both be on the same side of the light rail station. I have to admit that I am a bit skeptical about this as all I can find about this concept so far are what has already been posted here. I wonder when this design was produced, and if there is any real prospect for this project being built.

I hope that this turns out to be a valid proposal, and that we hear news about it soon.

I misread the drawing. That makes much more sense. Hopefully something comes out soon.

Years ago there was a project that would have included two 33 story towers for the McDonald's/ bus station area. It included retail and apartments in a town center like design.  That project obviously fell through but these renderings MAY be related to that.

11 hours ago, BFG said:

I can't think of anywhere along the line that would have enough room to accommodate twin towers on both sides of the track. Maybe the MacArthur station or somewhere at City Hall? Would love to see the corner of City Hall and St. Paul, but the tracks wouldn't be able to go through those two buildings, I don't think.

(More glass on the renderings, please)

Eventually the old courts and city hall building are to be demolished and main street reconnected across St. Paul's. There would be more than enough room for two towers after that.

• Like 1

Well, I'll tell you this. They are a legit architect, and the timeline for when these renderings popped up does not really line up with the project I mentioned earlier.  This seems to be a VERY preliminary sketch/conceptual idea that may or may not make it off the boards. It says "Projected concept for city of Norfolk developed for private developer" which is a very tortured way of saying public/private partnership.  There would definitely be some city money involved with this,  I'm not sure the current council has the stomach for it with the Hilton yet to come on line and Cordish dragging their feet. I don't see any of the local players having pockets deep enough to go this one alone. I think this may be real, but my guess would be we don't hear anything about it for a couple years if at all.

Edit: This concept first appeared on 4/20/16. It'll be interesting to see what happens.  This has the potential to be major. 

12 minutes ago, lil-bear said:

WOW, but there is no mention as to where this would be considered.

All just speculation so far. If those renderings are anywhere close to scale we're talking about bare minimum 40-story/500 ft plus buildings. I was hesitant to give this a thread with so little info to go by, but I didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle of all the other off-topic stuff.

7 minutes ago, mpretori said:

wait, where is this going?

I think downtown but metalman thinks military hwy. I think it's going in the area where they're clearing all that land by City Hall. There's a light rail stop right there.

We're not going to to be able to confirm location though until something is submitted to design review.

2 minutes ago, vdogg said:

I think downtown but metalman thinks military hwy. I think it's going in the area where they're clearing all that land by City Hall. There's a light rail stop right there.

We're not going to to be able to confirm location though until something is submitted to design review.

This address? 

Norfolk City Hall, 810 Union St, Norfolk, VA 23510

None of the current light rail stations have the available space to house this project. I took the measurements given in the image and put it by each station and it does not work. There is supposed to be an update next week on the preferred route of the Tide to the Naval Base. If this route is known to insiders then this may be a trial run for some project.

Seems to me to be a project for the city. Drawing says "Projected concept for the city of Norfolk, VA". Sounds like the city is the client. I would think if it were just in the city it would say "Projected concept for _______________ in Norfolk, VA". Perhaps this is a two tower complex to replace existing City Hall, Courts, etc?

Not an ideal spot IMO, but what about the riverfront area beside Harbor Park. Might not be as close to the LRT line and might not be a direct stop, but I think there's enough land there. Either that or the corner of City Hall and St. Paul's.

Couldn't a new stop be created, esp. if two towers requires the space?

Also...I'm guessing Gateway refers to the bank...aren't they planning a tower at Town Center as well?

Edited by BFG

15 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Seems to me to be a project for the city. Drawing says "Projected concept for the city of Norfolk, VA". Sounds like the city is the client. I would think if it were just in the city it would say "Projected concept for _______________ in Norfolk, VA". Perhaps this is a two tower complex to replace existing City Hall, Courts, etc?

There is a ton of land being cleared as vdogg said too. Extremely weird to find virtually nothing to why the marriage commissioner was torn down. 

41 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

"Projected concept for city of Norfolk developed for private developer"  This is being pitched to the city by a private developer.