Norfolk Gateway (It’s Complicated)

tallguy81"

It looks a little bit awkward in the video being by itself basically on that block, which isn't a bad thing. The lower portion definitely looks like a parking garage, but the black wall part on the eastern side makes me wonder if there is some serious future plans to this whole area. I am willing to bet this tower is planned to be the shorter of the towers that would be built on this site. Which could potentially mean Norfolk might get a new tallest in the future. Obviously that is just my speculation watching the video, not any insider info or anything.

• Like 1

I agree, looking at the reverse angle from I264, only part of city hall shown is the tower.

Is it possible that they are going to save the tower, but demolish the two story portion that fronts Union St. and change the main entrance to the tower to at the new round-about Main St extension?

Perhaps the office building that the city bought will temporarily house those departments? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doubt they will add extra stories. Usually it's the opposite. But hopefully this will start other projects in this immediate area. I would like to see the Plume Street flat parking lot built upon. I think relocating the Norfolk Juvenile Family Court to a new building would be ideal, then demolishing the existing eye sore building to build something new (and hopefully taller).

2 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Doubt they will add extra stories. Usually it's the opposite. But hopefully this will start other projects in this immediate area. I would like to see the Plume Street flat parking lot built upon. I think relocating the Norfolk Juvenile Family Court to a new building would be ideal, then demolishing the existing eye sore building to build something new (and hopefully taller).

I may be wrong but isn't the juvenile court moving into the new courts building once phase 2 is complete and the school is taking over their current space? But I do agree that building does need to be replaced.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would be shocked if this tower came to fruition with the departure of Norfolk southern from the NS tower. It's going to take a long time to fill that hole unfortunately. :(

Our best bet would be if Gadams, or maybe even Cordish, would take over that tower and convert it to a art ends.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:22 PM, vdogg said:

I would be shocked if this tower came to fruition with the departure of Norfolk southern from the NS tower. It's going to take a long time to fill that hole unfortunately. :(

Our best bet would be if Gadams, or maybe even Cordish, would take over that tower and convert it to a art ends.

That all depends, who was planning on moving into the Gateway Tower? There is a possibility that the Gateway Tower still gets built while NS Tower sits empty waiting for a new tenant or collection of tenants. Also who owns the NS Tower? There is a possibility that the NS Tower would see some renovating and leased off to smaller businesses from around the region looking to concolidate. 

I do not want the NS tower to be turned into residential at all and I don't think it will be. Perhaps ADP could occupy it and move (completely) their HQ here. The Gateway tower seems to have been a personal project of a local business so I don't see NS being vacant or available cancelling Gateway. Still though, one never knows. I think when Gaddams turned the office building into Icon it actually helped the need for something like Gateway.

21 hours ago, 23320 said:

NS owns their building. 

In that case, I would imagine they would either open the building up for leasing or sell it off to another owner. I don't think it would have a huge effect on office space in downtown to prevent the Gateway from being built, but I could see it being what stalls any new office buildings from being proposed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I attended my Freemason Civic League meeting last night w/special guests  ...a councilwoman, Andria McCllelan, and a senior staffer in the city manager's office.

Sooo...Gateway Tower is a "go!" Harvey Lindsay has landed an out of town business as an anchor tenant. Name tba within 60 days, The building has been tweaked to  bring it closer to the street.  Reported to us as 22 stories.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1