Pinewell Station

tallguy81"

I found more projects 4 Norfolk one which looks to be a high rise 4 Ocean View if I'm not mistaken.  One project is a six-story building downtown.  The ocean view high rise is 15 stories and over 484000 sqft. with 140 units.  A boutique hotel looks to be planned for Virginia beach.  6 floors called Lesner Inn.  The high rise looks like it will be called 719 Ocean View.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, tallguy81" said:

I found more projects 4 Norfolk one which looks to be a high rise 4 Ocean View if I'm not mistaken.  One project is a six-story building downtown.  The ocean view high rise is 15 stories and over 484000 sqft. with 140 units.  A boutique hotel looks to be planned for Virginia beach.  6 floors called Lesner Inn.  The high rise looks like it will be called 719 Ocean View.

can you post addresses or links to these? 

Hopefully this leads to more mid/high-rise development in that area. That stretch of OV is turning out really nice; there's a new 7-11 at the corner of OV and Chesapeake Blvd. that is really impressive...at least by 7-11 standards! :lol:

They better slim that sucker down and add 15 more floors. Look at the size of that footprint :lol:. That could easily be a taller/slimmer building with a plaza or park. It would be a great amenity for OV with unparalleled views and will look quite nice from the freeway.

This project was downsized alot because of the navy's new flight path safety guidelines ( new restrictions on what can be built in crash zones, which apparently is half of Norfolk) . The height was also reduced because the owners of Royal Mace Apartments complained that their views of their tenants would be blocked. The new renderings are very suburban/ safe and squished to one side of the property. The owner of Royal Mace Apartments doesn't even live here, she came all the way from Texas to speak on it. Just seems like its getting really hard to get anything built in Norfolk with the vocal minority raising concerns.

This is a really old early rendering, that I'm pretty sure got downsized to appartments

This development is now Pinewell Station. It was approved in February 25,2016 by the city planning commission. I've herd nothing about it since then. It could be possible that they revised for something entirely different (15 story tower) after showing their financiers that they could get approval. Its anyone's guess  

http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2054?fileID=5092 

pinewell.PNG

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really do love looking up and seeing the planes but sometimes I really feel that the navy and just the military in general slows down growth. I understand the safety issue but stuff like this doesn’t seem like a big deal but it is. That building would have transformed OV just because of its size. Norfolk really needs to Enhance OV and not just some waterfront community. The beach is miles long and the whole thing doesn’t have to be that way. Do people forget Norfolk is a CITY and not a suburb. If you ask me the whole beachfront community idea is for VB and the Oceanfront should be in Norfolk lol 

4 hours ago, Young75 said:

Norfolk really needs to Enhance OV and not just some waterfront community.

Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the small boardwalk at Ocean View Beach Park can be expanded in both directions. Going west, it could continue to the pier. To the east, at least to Community Beach Park. It's not a huge stretch, but it would make it a nice walkable boardwalk.

7 hours ago, Young75 said:

I really do love looking up and seeing the planes but sometimes I really feel that the navy and just the military in general slows down growth. I understand the safety issue but stuff like this doesn’t seem like a big deal but it is. That building would have transformed OV just because of its size. Norfolk really needs to Enhance OV and not just some waterfront community. The beach is miles long and the whole thing doesn’t have to be that way. Do people forget Norfolk is a CITY and not a suburb. If you ask me the whole beachfront community idea is for VB and the Oceanfront should be in Norfolk lol 

I've said this before, but I've gone to Miami the past two Memorial Day weekends. OV has the perfect layout to where you could build up more apartments and hotels, and it could compliment what's in VB.  This suburban style development doesn't make sense in a beachfront community. 

I'd much rather see a bunch of 8-10 story buildings along Ocean View Ave., instead of the stretched out 4-story ones they keep building in Norfolk.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, BFG said:

I've said this before, but I've gone to Miami the past two Memorial Day weekends. OV has the perfect layout to where you could build up more apartments and hotels, and it could compliment what's in VB.  This suburban style development doesn't make sense in a beachfront community. 

I'd much rather see a bunch of 8-10 story buildings along Ocean View Ave., instead of the stretched out 4-story ones they keep building in Norfolk.

Thank you. I’m glad you pointed out the fact they can compliment each other. This area is really attractive when marketed right. I agree Norfolk needs to maximize density. I think raising these building heights may bring up property value a lot if  those 8-10 stories can get up over the tree line. Maybe have some mini penthouses with panoramic views. We just need more creativity. I wonder what’s being planned with the park? That’s another thing we need....more desirable public spaces. 

On 1/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, zeppelin14 said:

Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the small boardwalk at Ocean View Beach Park can be expanded in both directions. Going west, it could continue to the pier. To the east, at least to Community Beach Park. It's not a huge stretch, but it would make it a nice walkable boardwalk.

I say do it... Add some type of art or monuments that’s compliments the area to that park. I’m big fan of the “theme” village type plans if that makes sense? Even in the small projects like the sign at Riverview Village on Granby... it makes a difference. OV needs something like that that you can see from 64. We neeed things that are recognizable and iconic. It doesn’t even have to expensive just creative! 

Am I the only one that wants to tear down that shopping center on the beach and put some type of mixed used vibrant delevopments there??? That area is in the flight path tho so I’m not sure how high you could go in that particular spot.

The old bait and switch.

Gone is the hotel, restaurant, business meeting space and 11 floors of very good looking architecture. The first "wave" type design would have given Ocean View a perfect building to work from going forward.  

Now we are left with the same type of condo's that were built at the corner of Independence Blvd and Princess Anne Rd. in Va. Beach. Just need a giant 3 story cider block and climate controlled self storage unit to go along with it. 

Archived