The Joseph Hotel, 21 stories, 232 ft., 297 rooms, 380-space garage, $140 million

markhollin

Columbus. OH-based Pizzuti Companies is close to having their 21-story, 297-room, $140 million 5-star hotel confirmed for the SW corner of 4th Avenue South and KVB (immediately to the east of the Tri-Brand Marriott already under construction).  This has been the parking lot for the Nashville Symphony employees for over a decade. Their hope is that MDHA will approve their proposal and designs Sept. 6th. Joel Pizzuti hopes to break ground in the first quarter of 2017.

The hotel will be part of the Luxury Collection brand with Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.   Wischermann Partners of Minnesota has signed-on to manage the facility.

Of the 380 spaces in the garage pedestal on top of which the hotel will be built, 180 will be reserved for the Nashville Symphony to use.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/09/02/first-look-key-vote-looms-for-4140m-luxury-sobro.html

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/09/02/sobro-luxury-hotel-tweaked-boost-street-activity/89786236/

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/11/30/20-story-boutique-hotel-planned-nashville-symphony-site/76575564/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/12/exclusive-what-itll-take-for-this-100m-luxury.html

The Joseph render 1, Nov. 2015.JPG

The Joseph render 2, Sept. 2016.png

The Joseph, render 3, Sept. 2016.png

The Joseph, render 4, Sept. 2016.png

The Joseph, render 5, Sept. 2016.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

wish they did something more with the designs. nashville gets the most lackluster designs ever. happy to see this going through tho

At least it's not a complete box (just 90% box). :rofl:  It's like someone took a boxcutter and split that one corner open. :P

I'm guessing this will be about 250'?  Will be tall enough to have a presence.

21 hours ago, titanhog said:

In the article, they spoke of "5 stars"...but I wasn't sure if they were saying it will actually be a 5 star hotel...or just 5 star-level quality.

This actually brings up something that is a weird little bone of contention for me.  I'm not sure why it bothers me, but it does.  Anyway, lately it seems like it is increasingly popular for hotels to simply call themselves "five star" or if it's in Dubai, "seven star" haha...but it's not really up to them.  The five star system has been and is used by Mobil (now Forbes) Travel guides to rate restaurant and hotel properties by a very strict set of guidelines, and actual five star properties are very rare.  I believe The Hermitage Hotel is the only property (both hotels and restaurants) in the state of TN that can actually boast an authentic five star rating.  I'm not saying it's the be all and end all of rating hotels or anything, but most of the time those star claims are just random baseless claims by the hotel ownership.

Here is the list of actual four and five star properties for this year in the US: http://www.forbestravelguide.com/about/awardwinners

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

This actually brings up something that is a weird little bone of contention for me.  I'm not sure why it bothers me, but it does.  Anyway, lately it seems like it is increasingly popular for hotels to simply call themselves "five star" or if it's in Dubai, "seven star" haha...but it's not really up to them.  The five star system has been and is used by Mobil (now Forbes) Travel guides to rate restaurant and hotel properties by a very strict set of guidelines, and actual five star properties are very rare.  I believe The Hermitage Hotel is the only property (both hotels and restaurants) in the state of TN that can actually boast an authentic five star rating.  I'm not saying it's the be all and end all of rating hotels or anything, but most of the time those star claims are just random baseless claims by the hotel ownership.

Isn't there another hotel coming online that's supposed to be a 5 star?  Maybe JWM?  Or am I just thinking about the new hotel that will go into the development on 1st Ave next to the pedestrian bridge?

Edited by titanhog

Thats what im saying though...the star rating is determined by a specific organization after examining it.  A hotel just making the random claim that they are "5 star" or any star, really means nothing, since the term "five star hotel" refers to being awarded a five star rating from the Mobil (forbes) travel guide.  Again, I'm not saying it really matters that much or that it's a big deal, but just be skeptical of any claims of the sort made by the hotel itself.  It'd be like if I claimed to be a grammy winner just because I took piano lessons.

Edited by BnaBreaker

Interesting article in the NBJ about the massive stormwater tunnel running 40-45 ft below SoBro, and the challenges of developing sites above it.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/09/08/land-in-sobro-costs-a-fortune-the-giant-tunnel.html

Developers are not permitted to blast near the pipe and must carefully excavate around it.      Pizzuti's Joseph Hotel is one project affected by the presence of the pipe. 

"The pipe runs underneath the site next to Pizzuti's property, on Korean Veterans Boulevard, where a 21-story hotel is under construction. There, the developers will build a sort of protective hut over the pipe, about 50 feet wide — a step Pizzuti also will have to take. Lindsey described it as a "no-fly buffer zone," aimed at disbursing the weight of the building to keep as much of the building's weight from being directly above the pipe."

Two different points of view.  Pizzuti would prefer to go deeper and put parking underground and cites the added expense and delay of having to excavate around the pipe and build parking above grade.   Jay Patel, developing the tri-branded Marriott, takes the opposite view. 

"In fact, Patel said he wanted more levels of the building's parking garage to be above-ground.   Our lowest rooms will be on the seventh floor: Less noise from the street, and more views. If the tunnel wasn't there, we weren't going underground anyway. The cost of going higher is negligible versus blasting to go underground," Patel said. "I don't understand why more developers in this city just don't even bother trying to go underground."

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks smeags..hard for me to visualize those streets. So where then is the Olmsted? Someone had posted recently that google maps had been updated, but mine is still so old that it doesn't even show mcc. Is there a way to update the version I'm using?

Olmsted is on the SW corner of 5th and Peabody. The new Hilton Tru and Homewood Suites will be on the SE corner.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

So that entire block will be taken up by The Joseph, Tri-Brand, Holiday Inn and Margaritaville?  NICE!

Not M'ville, but the other three. Just shy of 1000 rooms in the single block bounded by KVB, 4th Ave. South, Peabody and 5th Ave. South. 

Edited by MLBrumby