Suburban Projects

GRLaker

38 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

More on the 3 hotels going in near 58th and Clyde Park (near Craig's Cruisers). Actually this article is from back in April but it just popped up in my Mlive "other articles" tab:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/04/3_suburban_hotels_projects_ann.html

Including the area's first Towne Place Suites.

-41ce8d0fd43b20a0.jpg

hotel land.JPG

I like that design a lot. It makes the usual hotel design actually more than tolerable for once.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Just realized they're building a Hampton Inn next to Costco in Grandville. How many hotels in the south Wyoming/Grandville area now? Didn't they just rennovate one nearby as well?

What? Where? I got gas there less than a week ago and didn't see anything. 

Hampton by Grandville High School.

So there's the Hampton, Hampton Inn remodel, the 2 new hotels proposed by Metro Hospital, the 2 proposed by Craig's cruisers, the new Marriott by the Chrysler dealership and the new one by the Fox Powersports. Did I miss any?IMG_5974.thumb.JPG.06e595e45025b3ce82fb9af2ced26dbd.JPG

IMG_5966.thumb.JPG.2f5958ddd15f57feab1315071d9506fe.JPG

New Duluth Trading by Rivertown.

IMG_5973.thumb.JPG.02d24b6e1241173d61c11e7ae3a5adb2.JPG

1 hour ago, WMrapids said:

So there's the Hampton, Hampton Inn remodel, the 2 new hotels proposed by Metro Hospital, the 2 proposed by Craig's cruisers, the new Marriott by the Chrysler dealership and the new one by the Fox Powersports. Did I miss any?IMG_5974.thumb.JPG.06e595e45025b3ce82fb9af2ced26dbd.JPG

Wow, right here apparently. What a strange place for a motel. Although most people book online and as long as the area doesn't look "sketch" they're OK with it. 

59700be078179_Hamptonsitegrandville.thumb.JPG.cce60d30d6667e75e47e59e5f60bb57b.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WMrapids said:

IMG_5973.thumb.JPG.02d24b6e1241173d61c11e7ae3a5adb2.JPG

What Marriott by the chrysler dealership are you referring to? I heard of one near the airport by south beltline 

On 7/19/2017 at 8:14 PM, WMrapids said:

So there's the Hampton, Hampton Inn remodel, the 2 new hotels proposed by Metro Hospital, the 2 proposed by Craig's cruisers, the new Marriott by the Chrysler dealership and the new one by the Fox Powersports. Did I miss any?

There are 3 hotels going up on that site by Craig's Cruisers, not 2. 

I hope that really kickstarts a movement toward developing a downtown Hudsonville. Short of EGR and Grandville to a smaller extent, this is something that is lacking severely in this area's suburbs. Plenty of malls and strip malls - but no Main Street style mixed use areas.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I hope that really kickstarts a movement toward developing a downtown Hudsonville. Short of EGR and Grandville to a smaller extent, this is something that is lacking severely in this area's suburbs. Plenty of malls and strip malls - but no Main Street style mixed use areas.

Hudsonville certainly has potential, and the population growth to sustain the business community. It's such an odd place though. It needs some major diversity of thought, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Rockford, Lowell, and Ada fit the bill as well. The one thing about the south side of GR (outside of Grandville) is that they didn't really have small cities that grew into the metro area (until you get to Byron Center). Kind of interesting. 

Joe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Rockford, Lowell, and Ada fit the bill as well. The one thing about the south side of GR (outside of Grandville) is that they didn't really have small cities that grew into the metro area (until you get to Byron Center). Kind of interesting. 

Joe

Are you talking about the old original Ada or the new Disney-fied Ada brought to you by the good folks at Amway?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Hudsonville certainly has potential, and the population growth to sustain the business community. It's such an odd place though. It needs some major diversity of thought, that's for sure. 

Couldn't have said it better. With the population growth, hopefully some different people and different thougts/religions/races/families/etc ... will bolster that diversity. 

5 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Couldn't have said it better. With the population growth, hopefully some different people and different thougts/religions/races/families/etc ... will bolster that diversity. 

Wait.. so you're of the opinion that the current Hudsonville resident base that were born already wearing wooden shoes, and a stick up their rear ends aren't diverse enough??

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Are you talking about the old original Ada or the new Disney-fied Ada brought to you by the good folks at Amway?

Say what you will about Ada, I gotta say I'm pretty excited to see the new development popping up there. And the new Kingma's Market building is looking really sharp, I'll try to snap a picture or two once Ada Drive is back open, which should be any day now.

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

As a new resident of Lowell, I'm hopeful that Main Street sees a bit of a revival. A few more restaurant options would certainly help, I haven't had a chance to try the new brewery but it's gotten some good reviews (other than start up service issues). There is the old movie theater on Main Street, the building on the south side of the bridge over the Flat River, and the continuing ed building on the east bank of the river that are all empty, and all three have a lot of potential with the right owner/development plan. It also appears most of the second and third floors are not used on a majority of main street buildings, which seems like a wasted opportunity for apts/condos or small business offices.

And everytime I see the gigantic blank concrete wall for King Milling, I think it would be fun if they turned that into an outdoor climbing wall.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9341113,-85.3394934,3a,75y,193.83h,94.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sObRx7ywaSZ0BZbfApT2SNw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mielsonwheels said:

Say what you will about Ada, I gotta say I'm pretty excited to see the new development popping up there. And the new Kingma's Market building is looking really sharp, I'll try to snap a picture or two once Ada Drive is back open, which should be any day now.

As a new resident of Lowell, I'm hopeful that Main Street sees a bit of a revival. A few more restaurant options would certainly help, I haven't had a chance to try the new brewery but it's gotten some good reviews (other than start up service issues). There is the old movie theater on Main Street, the building on the south side of the bridge over the Flat River, and the continuing ed building on the east bank of the river that are all empty, and all three have a lot of potential with the right owner/development plan. It also appears most of the second and third floors are not used on a majority of main street buildings, which seems like a wasted opportunity for apts/condos or small business offices.

And everytime I see the gigantic blank concrete wall for King Milling, I think it would be fun if they turned that into an outdoor climbing wall.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9341113,-85.3394934,3a,75y,193.83h,94.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sObRx7ywaSZ0BZbfApT2SNw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I can see it. Looking across the river, how can they not utilize the side of that building with a giant mural or vintage Lowell painting or something!