Suburban Projects

GRLaker

On 3/27/2018 at 3:28 PM, GRLaker said:

Excellent. What's the word on the street on these guys? The article states they're the largest real estate investment firm in the world. Hopefully that means they're capable of putting the money needed into real improvements at Rivertown.

Younkers is closing.  It will be interesting to see how they re-purpose that much sq footage. There certainly wont be a singular anchor to replace it unless the new owner has some creativity to land an REI/Bass type store.

3 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Younkers is closing.  It will be interesting to see how they re-purpose that much sq footage. There certainly wont be a singular anchor to replace it unless the new owner has some creativity to land an REI/Bass type store.

REI would be a nice addition and something that could kickstart a Rivertown resurgence. If this company is the largest real estate investment company in the world, I'm sure they have some sway to get a big name interested. 

On 4/13/2018 at 10:49 AM, jdkacz said:

I heard that local media jumped the gun on this - the press release was worded in an unclear way. Apparently the Rivertown Younkers will stay open.

21 minutes ago, keeselbmag said:

I heard that local media jumped the gun on this - the press release was worded in an unclear way. Apparently the Rivertown Younkers will stay open.

Interesting. I did look up some more details and Bon-Ton is going through bankruptcy and is looking to be purchased out of bankruptcy this week, which could mean saving many of the stores:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/04/16/bidding-buy-bon-ton-retail-chains-out-bankruptcy-comes-monday/519595002/

The Green Well experiment in Rockford has ended, and they're going to replace it with a more "family-friendly" concept. Then they'll have "kids eat free on Tuesdays"  and then "kids eat free anytime" followed by closure, because these types of restaurants where it costs $80+ tip to feed a family of 4 or 5 are not sustainable. :) 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Green Well experiment in Rockford has ended, and they're going to replace it with a more "family-friendly" concept. Then they'll have "kids eat free on Tuesdays"  and then "kids eat free anytime" followed by closure, because these types of restaurants where it costs $80+ tip to feed a family of 4 or 5 are not sustainable. :) 

Surprised. Rockford overall seems like the ideal location for a second location. 

1 hour ago, jdkacz said:

Surprised. Rockford overall seems like the ideal location for a second location. 

I am surprised too. We ate there once and it was very much like the Cherry Street location as far as vibe and menu goes. Although the menu is what I would call "green and earthy" like Cherry Street and that may have not been the right match for Rockford.  We've gone to Reds' new location at Thousand Oaks Golf Club many times and love it, for both happy hour and dinner (but now with the kids). I have a hard time deciding what to eat because the menu all looks good. Personally I think going "family friendly" is a mistake at Green Well Rockford. You'll never compete with cheap eats at Rockford Corner Bar, Uccellos, Rogue River Tavern, etc etc.. 

In other restaurant news, Chili's on the East Beltline at Celebration Village has announced they are closing. This is right next to the new Hopcat location. Bar Louie (as far as I know) is slated to open across the Beltline at Knapp's Crossing.

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I am surprised too. We ate there once and it was very much like the Cherry Street location as far as vibe and menu goes. Although the menu is what I would call "green and earthy" like Cherry Street and that may have not been the right match for Rockford.  We've gone to Reds' new location at Thousand Oaks Golf Club many times and love it, for both happy hour and dinner (but now with the kids). I have a hard time deciding what to eat because the menu all looks good. Personally I think going "family friendly" is a mistake at Green Well Rockford. You'll never compete with cheap eats at Rockford Corner Bar, Uccellos, Rogue River Tavern, etc etc.. 

In other restaurant news, Chili's on the East Beltline at Celebration Village has announced they are closing. This is right next to the new Hopcat location. Bar Louie (as far as I know) is slated to open across the Beltline at Knapp's Crossing.

RE: Knapp's corner - That makes a few empty restaurants on that corner with Bagger Dave's and Menchie's closing recently.   I'll be curious to see if Potbelly and Freshii make it much longer.  They never seem busy when I am over there.  

Is the "Building D", where Bar Louie is slated to go, being built right now?  Can't tell what all is being constructed over there...

48 minutes ago, Sparty97 said:

RE: Knapp's corner - That makes a few empty restaurants on that corner with Bagger Dave's and Menchie's closing recently.   I'll be curious to see if Potbelly and Freshii make it much longer.  They never seem busy when I am over there.  

Is the "Building D", where Bar Louie is slated to go, being built right now?  Can't tell what all is being constructed over there...

Buildings C and D are being built right now, and almost finished. D on the site plan shows Bar Louie on the left hand side of that plaza:

http://lormaxstern.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Knapps-Site-Plan-7-18-17.pdf

• Like 1

Let's talk East Grand Rapids for a minute. There was once a plan to build a condo tower next to the parking ramp in Gaslight Village. From my understanding, the real estate crash put an end to that plan. Have there been any talks of someone reviving that concept? I would think that there would be high demand for upscale housing in the most desirable suburb of Grand Rapids. There is so little land that people are tearing homes down and building new ones or moving homes to split lots in half to build a new home. Next to and behind that parking ramp, there are two large plots of land that sit untouched. It's prime land for a large scale condo development.

Edited by GRLaker

9 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Let's talk East Grand Rapids for a minute. There was once a plan to build a condo tower next to the parking ramp in Gaslight Village. From my understanding, the real estate crash put an end to that plan. Have there been any talks of someone reviving that concept? I would think that there would be high demand for upscale housing in the most desirable suburb of Grand Rapids. There is so little land that people are tearing homes down and building new ones or moving homes to split lots in half to build a new home. Next to and behind that parking ramp, there are two large plots of land that sit untouched. It's prime land for a large scale condo development.

I know of nothing officially, but there has been a lot of discussion regarding that piece of land and the two story parking garage in the updating of the master plan (there are some ideas outlined in the plan).  There are also ideas to renovate the building where Rite Aid is in Gas Light to a boutique style hotel.  The updated master plan does want to address it, but like you, I am surprised that has not been brought back, especially since it sold out quick the first go around and then collapsed with the recession.

15 minutes ago, jdkacz said:

I know of nothing officially, but there has been a lot of discussion regarding that piece of land and the two story parking garage in the updating of the master plan (there are some ideas outlined in the plan).  There are also ideas to renovate the building where Rite Aid is in Gas Light to a boutique style hotel.  The updated master plan does want to address it, but like you, I am surprised that has not been brought back, especially since it sold out quick the first go around and then collapsed with the recession.

Thank you for calling attention to the master plan. I just looked it up. It actually calls for the elimination of the parking ramp altogether and replacing it with a new street lined with mixed-use development and street-side parking. Not a bad idea...That ramp is definitely underutilized and would likely not be missed.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Thank you for calling attention to the master plan. I just looked it up. It actually calls for the elimination of the parking ramp altogether and replacing it with a new street lined with mixed-use development and street-side parking. Not a bad idea...That ramp is definitely underutilized and would likely not be missed.

The first master plan perspective is looking North/NE from the Bagley and Wealthy intersection.

The second perspective is looking birds eye from SW to Reeds Lake.   The proposed hotel would be near center/bottom of the perspective.

Was it Jade Pig who proposed that residential tower next to the parking ramp?   CWD now controls all that property.

If the ramp goes does the giant lady garden go too? :D

Document.jpg

Document (2).jpg

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

The first master plan perspective is looking North/NE from the Bagley and Wealthy intersection.

The second perspective is looking birds eye from SW to Reeds Lake.   The proposed hotel would be near center/bottom of the perspective.

Was it Jade Pig who proposed that residential tower next to the parking ramp?   CDW now controls all that property now.

If the ramp goes does the giant lady garden go too?

Document.jpg

Document (2).jpg

This would be an awesome addition based on that rendering! Hopefully it moves forward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRLaker said:

This would be an awesome addition based on that rendering! Hopefully it moves forward.

It's just a master plan, it's not an actual development proposal. The parking ramp does get used a lot, at least the bottom portion. It's always at least 3/4's full. No idea on the upper deck as I don't go up there.

But it does look like they have a plan for parking in the dark gray area. 

I would love to see something happen with all of this area. That whole back area behind the parking ramp seems like such an untapped potential, surrounded by parks, schools and retail. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It's just a master plan, it's not an actual development proposal. The parking ramp does get used a lot, at least the bottom portion. It's always at least 3/4's full. No idea on the upper deck as I don't go up there.

But it does look like they have a plan for parking in the dark gray area. 

I would love to see something happen with all of this area. That whole back area behind the parking ramp seems like such an untapped potential, surrounded by parks, schools and retail. 

Quite right. I should have said that I hope a developer takes up this idea and moves forward with a project. It is a largely untapped area that is relatively unsightly when compared to the rest of the city of EGR. It is begging to be developed. I'm just glad that EGR has a general idea of what they would like to do with it rather than let it continue to sit as-is.

There's a fight by some residents that live in the immediate area of the Blodgett hospital parking ramp project.  However, with the recent development in Gas Light with multi-unit condos and there really is not any single family housing that would be affected by this development, my thoughts are it would be more well received. I could be wrong, but this master plan process has been ongoing for a quite a while. I could be off base, but I think most residents want more development in the "core" of the city.

5 minutes ago, wyoming_mi said:

Land clearing has begun on the 3-hotel project going in next to the Knights of Columbus hall and Craig's Cruisers on Clyde Park.  

There's also a new hotel on 28th ST by Patterson behind the Steak and Shake and to the west of Jake's Fireworks and Home Depot.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:51 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Interesting. I did look up some more details and Bon-Ton is going through bankruptcy and is looking to be purchased out of bankruptcy this week, which could mean saving many of the stores:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/04/16/bidding-buy-bon-ton-retail-chains-out-bankruptcy-comes-monday/519595002/

Looks like there was no buyer and so ALL Bon-Ton stores are shuttering. Pretty big deal when you look at Carsons, Younkers, and "Boston Stores" and realize how many there are! Originally it was to be 40 stores but now it is the entire company. Also - I read a fascinating article about co-tenancy clauses in malls and apparently there are many malls that have national tenants that have a clause that if a Bon-Ton anchor were to go out they would be allowed to terminate their own lease without penalty...so there's a lot of mall management companies even more anxious than they already were!

Edited by GVSUChris

Maybe it's weird of me, but I worry about Rivertown. I see three large anchor stores that either are shutting down (Younkers) or are on the verge of it (Sears and JC Penney). We could very well see a Rivertown Crossings with three empty anchor stores within the next 1-2 years. Rivertown was the largest and nicest mall in the area not that long ago. Now it's on the verge of starting to be a ghost town. Brookfield has a lot of work to do here to prevent this from happening. 

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Maybe it's weird of me, but I worry about Rivertown. I see three large anchor stores that either are shutting down (Younkers) or are on the verge of it (Sears and JC Penney). We could very well see a Rivertown Crossings with three empty anchor stores within the next 1-2 years. Rivertown was the largest and nicest mall in the area not that long ago. Now it's on the verge of starting to be a ghost town. Brookfield has a lot of work to do here to prevent this from happening. 

I have been thinking the same thing.  I was there a few weeks ago, first time in a long time and the end of the mall where Macy's and Old Navy are was completely dead.  There was a drastic difference between that end and the other end where Yonkers/ Dicks is.   Years ago when I worked at Pottery Barn, when it was still there, it was kinda the same way though.  That end of the Mall has always seemed less busy.  I wouldn't be surprised to see major troubles at Rivertown in the next 3-5 years.