Suburban Projects

GRLaker

20 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Office park project at Byron Center and 64th is underway. 

https://www.grbj.com/articles/92742--acre-development-underway-in-byron-center

"2 high end restaurants?" Do high end restaurants locate near freeway interchanges? :)

I have to say, I like this guy’s style. Sounds like it’s more of a legacy project. I don’t know what his definition of “high-end” is, but sounds like he’s not going to skimp. 

Joe

It will be interesting to see what company this is, if it comes to fruition.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/02/efforts-underway-to-bring-global-corporation-670-jobs-to-grand-rapids-area.html

CASCADE TOWNSHIP, MI — Two West Michigan development firms, Rockford Construction and The Hinman Company, say they are in negotiations to build a new headquarters for a “global corporation” in Cascade Township that would bring an estimated 670 jobs to the area.

965655286_5480glenwoodhills.thumb.JPG.ac5863942b46ee7711a18c5163d254fc.JPG

• Like 1

I definitely think the area needs a big corporate relo.  Though it's tough to say how big of a company comes with 670 jobs at its headquarters .  It will be interesting to see what comes of this.  I'm glad they are being tight lipped.  I think local media jumping the gun has cause a couple deals to fall through.

It appears that this corporate relo is not a done deal, but wonder if any consideration was ever given to downtown?  The proposed Studio Park office building would have been a nice spot. :thumbsup:   I know that a lot of money crunchers love the vast open space, and free parking of suburban office parks, but come on.   This is what downtown GR has been waiting for!

Edited by mpchicago

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

I definitely think the area needs a big corporate relo.  Though it's tough to say how big of a company comes with 670 jobs at its headquarters .  It will be interesting to see what comes of this.  I'm glad they are being tight lipped.  I think local media jumping the gun has cause a couple deals to fall through.

Yeah, 670 for a corporate HQ's doesn't seem very large, for a company that is "Top 10 in their industry."  I wonder if it is a local company expanding or a new company to the region? Maybe it's Consumers Energy, who is obviously working very closely with Rockford already. 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah, 670 for a corporate HQ's doesn't seem very large, for a company that is "Top 10 in their industry."  I wonder if it is a local company expanding or a new company to the region? Maybe it's Consumers Energy, who is obviously working very closely with Rockford already. 

Haha Consumers had crossed my mind too.  It could also possibly explain some of the delays in the West side campus.   Although Consumers had $6.5billion in revenue in 2017 making it Fortune 500, which is pretty sizable.  The biggest refrain being that their downtown Jackson HQ is fairly new and nice, not to mention the political hell they would endure out of Jackson(and possibly the state) for leaving it.  Though at 670 employees you could be talking a relocation of just the corporate brain trust, not support services.  I think it would be a long shot for Consumers.  Electric Utilities are regulated at the state level, all of their business is already in Michigan.  It’s not like they can threaten to leave the state to get tax incentives or anything.  

If ever there were decent sized companies within the state in need of relocation it would be Kellogg, and Whirlpool.  Both are big progressive companies, and both struggle like hell to attract talent from outside of the region.  Kellogg moved a corporate service center to GR in 2014 for that reason.  The location in question is about 2 miles from the other Kellogg center.  One could speculate that they are planning on shifting more talent to the area too?  Again I doubt it.

Likely a mid sized company we’ve not heard of, or heard very little of.  Or much less interesting, a local company (like say Spectrum) consolidating  all of it’s administrative functions(this would make me sad).  

• Like 1

It’s curious that the “estimated” number of jobs, 670, is exactly the same number of spaces proposed in the plans submitted to the township for the one-story parking garage.  Seeing how not much is being released about this “global corporation,” could it be that the reporter is just extrapolating the number of jobs from the number of parking spaces? 

GRDadof3, Google maps puts 5526 Glenwood Hills Parkway a little to the north of your map just past the LMCU headquarters building. Looks like that could be about seven acres.  Google can be wrong though so not sure which one is right. 

Edited by walker
for typo

10 hours ago, walker said:

It’s curious that the “estimated” number of jobs, 670, is exactly the same number of spaces proposed in the plans submitted to the township for the one-story parking garage.  Seeing how not much is being released about this “global corporation,” could it be that the reporter is just extrapolating the number of jobs from the number of parking spaces? 

GRDadof3, Google maps puts 5526 Glenwood Hills Parkway a little to the north of your map just past the LMCU headquarters building. Looks like that could be about seven acres.  Google can be wrong though so not sure which one is right. 

It’s the open space west of the LMCU buildings, across the street from the pond/lake (and along 196). BCBS used to be where one of LMCUs buildings are located (they have 3 buildings in the office park). If I’m not mistaken, Rockford construction moved into the building for a while when they moved BCBS downtown. 

Joe

16 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

My sources told me that this is Amazon's HQ2.

Or a hydrogen power plant.

Or a hydrogen-powered Amazon plant.

With a hydrogen-powered hyperloop to the airport called the Faust Line!

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

If it's top 10, maybe it's just a smaller industry as opposed to something local?

Edited by tSlater

11 hours ago, walker said:

You're right, I had it mixed up. I saw 5480 glenwood hills in the article toward the bottom and thought that was the property they were talking about. 5526 is the one on the end of the cul-de-sac, and one that Hinman talked about developing some time ago.

1930684514_5526glenwoodhills.thumb.JPG.a9f18fe18ccf19c7c29338af04b5af1b.JPG

Oh yes, 11/12 years ago. 

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/inthenews/glwdhil0816.aspx

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/43899-rockford-construction-and-hinman-teaming-up-on-25-million-development/?tab=comments#comment-912241

Cascade Twp has pictures and a narrative from Hinman/Rockford.  Apparently the zoning only allows for a 3 story building and 50' total. According to Cascade Twp, the developers have to explain the "benefits and rationale" of going to 4 stories and 58'. ....

:)

It's also curious that they're putting the 1 story parking deck on the highway side. Seems like that side would get the most visibility. 

531889916_GlenwoodHillsBldg.thumb.JPG.1e217ba0d3f25ade5f22be35c7833c94.JPG

1216094274_GlenwoodHillsSitePlan.thumb.JPG.78512778e02cf2d80348a86622faa3dd.JPG

1611563831_GlenwoodHillsLetter.thumb.JPG.12aeeb9d27b110edacb85d8d08cec9c6.JPG

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

It's also curious that they're putting the 1 story parking deck on the highway side. Seems like that side would get the most visibility. 

I was just thinking 'what great visibility from the highway', why would anyone position the parking deck towards the highway? Maybe off to the side, make it less prominent. 

17 hours ago, mpchicago said:

It appears that this corporate relo is not a done deal, but wonder if any consideration was ever given to downtown?  The proposed Studio Park office building would have been a nice spot. :thumbsup:   I know that a lot of money crunchers love the vast open space, and free parking of suburban office parks, but come on.   This is what downtown GR has been waiting for!

While that would be nice...I'm sure taxes are a big reason for the relocation. Cascade can offer a deal far superior to anything Grand Rapids can offer when it comes to that. Plus...Yeah...Parking.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Considering the parking deck is one story, separate from the building with a bridge connecting it, and butting up against the highway that is raised above it, I don't think it will impede visibility of the building at all. 

Visitibility from the freeway is only an aesthetics thing for a structure like that anyway.   A corporate office is not relying on the foot traffic or impulse stops that freeway visibility would provide.

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Cascade Twp has pictures and a narrative from Hinman/Rockford.  Apparently the zoning only allows for a 3 story building and 50' total. According to Cascade Twp, the developers have to explain the "benefits and rationale" of going to 4 stories and 58'. ....

:)

Quotes from the letter to Cascade Twp:

"During 2018 we engaged with a global corporation interested in building their new headquarters on our site."   "This company is a professional firm, rate top ten in it's industry worldwide."  "They will bring an estimated 670 employees to this site"

The language in the letter only talks about bringing the headquarters to the "site"  there is no inference at all that this company is new to the region.  There are plenty of growing firms in the area that are in need of upgraded facilities.   

What am I missing here?  It appears to me that MLive is falsely pursuing the narrative that a new company is looking to relocate to the area.  I see nothing to suggest as much.  The only thing that might point me to think it could be a firm new to the area is the secrecy surrounding them.  I don't know why a local firm would necessarily need that level of secrecy.

3 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Quotes from the letter to Cascade Twp:

"During 2018 we engaged with a global corporation interested in building their new headquarters on our site."   "This company is a professional firm, rate top ten in it's industry worldwide."  "They will bring an estimated 670 employees to this site"

The language in the letter only talks about bringing the headquarters to the "site"  there is no inference at all that this company is new to the region.  There are plenty of growing firms in the area that are in need of upgraded facilities.   

What am I missing here?  It appears to me that MLive is falsely pursuing the narrative that a new company is looking to relocate to the area.  I see nothing to suggest as much.  The only thing that might point me to think it could be a firm new to the area is the secrecy surrounding them.  I don't know why a local firm would necessarily need that level of secrecy.

Could be LMCU. I seemed to remember hearing they were looking at a new HQ a few years ago. 

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Could be LMCU. I seemed to remember hearing they were looking at a new HQ a few years ago. 

LMCU is not a global firm though, neither is Spectrum for that matter.  Unless they are using the term global to fluff up their presentation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mpchicago said:

It appears that this corporate relo is not a done deal, but wonder if any consideration was ever given to downtown?  

Seeing how the developer is Hinman Company, I wonder if the mystery global corporation was once a prime candidate for the downtown forty-two story building but the numbers didn’t work and the decision makers at the corp. weren't nearly as enamored with downtown Grand Rapids with its extra expenses as us locals.

I’m always curious about the decision making that takes place to decide the new location for a factory or a corporate headquarters.  Sometimes it’s obvious like a nearby large customer or raw materials or perceived availability of cheap labor or specialized skills.  The perception we tend to have is that a mega-corp takes a very analytical approach to deciding a new location.  I’ve worked for a couple of good size corporations whose site committees made impressive presentations on the sites they chose that were mostly BS but whose real reasons for choosing them were pretty mushy.  One company picked for a factory an obscure southern city with not much infrastructure that just happened to be where the division’s new president grew up.  Another was to use an existing building as a warehouse close to where most of the committee members lived even though it made no logistical sense since almost all the manufacturing and customers were far away.

One would think that whoever is making the decision on this one is not concerned about attracting millennials who only want to work in a hip downtown building and they don’t perceive any marketing value in a signature building (or they are very old and think a nondescript suburban style office building just off the freeway is still hip.)           

Edited by walker
for typo as usual
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, walker said:

Seeing how the developer is Hinman Company, I wonder if the mystery global corporation was once a prime candidate for the downtown forty-two story building but the numbers didn’t work and the decision makers at the corp. weren't nearly as enamored with downtown Grand Rapids with its extra expenses as us locals.

I’m always curious about the decision making that takes place to decide the new location for a factory or a corporate headquarters.  Sometimes it’s obvious like a nearby large customer or raw materials or perceived availability of cheap labor or specialized skills.  The perception we tend to have is that a mega-corp takes a very analytical approach to deciding a new location.  I’ve worked for a couple of good size corporations whose site committees made impressive presentations on the sites they chose that were mostly BS but whose real reasons for choosing them were pretty mushy.  One company picked for a factory an obscure southern city with not much infrastructure that just happened to be where the division’s new president grew up.  Another was to use an existing building as a warehouse close to where most of the committee members lived even though it made no logistical sense since almost all the manufacturing and customers were far away.

One would think that whoever is making the decision on this one is not concerned about attracting millennials who only want to work in a hip downtown building and they don’t perceive any marketing value in a signature building (or they are very old and think a nondescript suburban style office building just off the freeway is still hip.)           

The  10 Ionia project was always touted as an apartment/hotel project, and I think they mentioned at one point that the footprint/floorplate was not conducive for office use.   I have a feeling that this company is either already headquartered or has a presence in GR.   I also wonder if Franklin Partners knew about this or had this company on their radar when they were trying to woo someone to their defunct Studio Park project.

1 hour ago, walker said:

I don't think 10 Ionia was ever planned to have office space, as mpchicago said. Plus where would you carve out 670 parking spaces nearby? Or even 300.

I am surprised that it's a rather bland office building for a HQ, but the narrative says the company will be leasing the building, which is unusual.

They say "professional firm" and not "tech company" or "global manufacturer's HQ." So that leaves insurance? Mortgage? Financial services? 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't think 10 Ionia was ever planned to have office space, as mpchicago said. Plus where would you carve out 670 parking spaces nearby? Or even 300.

I am surprised that it's a rather bland office building for a HQ, but the narrative says the company will be leasing the building, which is unusual.

They say "professional firm" and not "tech company" or "global manufacturer's HQ." So that leaves insurance? Mortgage? Financial services? 

It is a rather bland 1999 office building rendering.