Jump to content

GRLaker

Suburban Projects

Recommended Posts

I think it's kind of gimick-y and mis-leading.   Firehouse subs donates.  .11% of purchases to their own foundation up to $1,000,000.  I'm sure they pay people that work at their foundation, what's left?

Looks like mission has donated $5,000,000 over the last five years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, tSlater said:

Don't really see how supporting first responders qualifies as "MAGA-y"

It's not the support of first resposnders, its the messaging of 'The American Way', 'Patriotic dining room' and 'stop by for our daily salute to the Stars and Stripes'. Just a first impression. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

It's not the support of first resposnders, its the messaging of 'The American Way', 'Patriotic dining room' and 'stop by for our daily salute to the Stars and Stripes'. Just a first impression. 

Agreed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

It's not the support of first resposnders, its the messaging of 'The American Way', 'Patriotic dining room' and 'stop by for our daily salute to the Stars and Stripes'. Just a first impression. 

"They're the people we respect the most." (Teachers, doctors, nurses, APPs, social workers, nonprofit workers, etc. are all a bunch of plebs) 

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

"They're the people we respect the most." (Teachers, doctors, nurses, APPs, social workers, nonprofit workers, etc. are all a bunch of plebs) 

Exaclty!

But moving on ... can someone remind me if the Woodland Mall redevelopment included a Container Store? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Exaclty!

But moving on ... can someone remind me if the Woodland Mall redevelopment included a Container Store? 

In one of the first renditions of the plans I believe there was. But we all know how that has gone with the Knapp's Corner development and the 3 Mile one. (believe it when we see it). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago-based Coopers Hawk Winery and Restaurant is coming to GR.  I've been there, it's pretty good.

https://www.grbj.com/articles/93213-winery-plans-restaurant-and-tasting-room-on-28th-street

Taking over the closed Quaker Steak to closed Paulina's location on 28th East of Art Van. I think a great steak house might make it there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering what anyone knows about the project at Wilson and Lake Michigan Drive across from Meijer? a thought I heard it one point the cornfield behind the Meijer was going to be a student housing to mine up with the Laker line. But now appears that will be across the street from Meijer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Wondering what anyone knows about the project at Wilson and Lake Michigan Drive across from Meijer? a thought I heard it one point the cornfield behind the Meijer was going to be a student housing to mine up with the Laker line. But now appears that will be across the street from Meijer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 

There is a massive mixed-use PUD approved for the land behind Meijer, but the project on the Southeast corner of LMD and Wilson is something completely different, called Westown. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/new-housing-boom-comes-to-walker

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bunch of work happening at Metro Health Village. Anyone have an updated site plan?

https://www.grbj.com/articles/93315-granger-project-soars-to-2b

"Granger Group already has built out the first two buildings, totaling about 20,000 square feet of retail, and has begun moving dirt on four more.

On the corner of Byron Center Avenue and Health Drive will be a two-story, 20,000-square-foot mixed-use building with first-floor retail and second-floor office space, as well as two units of single-story retail totaling 10,000 square feet along Health Drive, according to the site plan.

The project also will add more housing to First & Main, an assisted-living retirement community owned by Granger. First & Main is a three-story building, and the firm will add on a four-story, 65,000-square-foot, 65-unit independent living complex facing north toward Health Drive."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, GRDadof3 said:

A bunch of work happening at Metro Health Village. Anyone have an updated site plan?

https://www.grbj.com/articles/93315-granger-project-soars-to-2b

"Granger Group already has built out the first two buildings, totaling about 20,000 square feet of retail, and has begun moving dirt on four more.

On the corner of Byron Center Avenue and Health Drive will be a two-story, 20,000-square-foot mixed-use building with first-floor retail and second-floor office space, as well as two units of single-story retail totaling 10,000 square feet along Health Drive, according to the site plan.

The project also will add more housing to First & Main, an assisted-living retirement community owned by Granger. First & Main is a three-story building, and the firm will add on a four-story, 65,000-square-foot, 65-unit independent living complex facing north toward Health Drive."

 

"The overall vision is to develop Metro Health Village into a true downtown core, Granger said."

:rofl: I'm sorry, but the massive amounts of parking surrounding every building that exists thus far will keep this from ever truly being a "true downtown core." This is another suburban mockery of an actual urban environment. The unique part is that they're piggy-backing on the massive money-making ability of the healthcare industry, which I do not see as sustainable.

On the upside, I guess this development does beat the absolute pedestrian deadzones around the Medical Mile and Saint Mary's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 54equalsunity said:

"The overall vision is to develop Metro Health Village into a true downtown core, Granger said."

:rofl: I'm sorry, but the massive amounts of parking surrounding every building that exists thus far will keep this from ever truly being a "true downtown core." This is another suburban mockery of an actual urban environment. The unique part is that they're piggy-backing on the massive money-making ability of the healthcare industry, which I do not see as sustainable.

On the upside, I guess this development does beat the absolute pedestrian deadzones around the Medical Mile and Saint Mary's.

I mean...What else does Wyoming have going for it? 28 West is essentially dead in the water. 28th St in Wyoming remains a dead zone of cheap stores that no suburban dweller would want to go to. There is no true downtown like 28 West was trying to create. This would at least give Wyoming some kind of retail/dining/commercial center that suburbanites would want to go to (even if it is on the southern border of the city). Also, Metro Health does parking right for the most part. There's green space, fountains, trees, ponds, brick cross walks, parallel parking along the drives, etc. It's set up for this kind of thing. I'm just glad Metro opened it up to non-health related companies so it could actually grow. Their health-only focus really held the development of the area back. There's only so much you can do to fill in that much space with just healthcare related entities. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, elcelc said:

28 West is far from dead.  Phase 1 (6 apartment buildings) will be in to the city very shortly for permits.

Have you seen plans for those? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 8:30 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Have you seen plans for those? 

You should see my desk!  I'm not sure what the city has available for public consumption currently.  But design phase is very far along.  More substantial plans will be available soon at the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seriously hope it is like some thing they are doing in Ada. Buildings that look like they belong in an urban area, and are actually fronting the street, and not some Ramblewood nonsense, with parking lots, huge set backs, and those hideous "parking canopies".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I seriously hope it is like some thing they are doing in Ada. Buildings that look like they belong in an urban area, and are actually fronting the street, and not some Ramblewood nonsense, with parking lots, huge set backs, and those hideous "parking canopies".

Yes but something more representive of a city of 75k people, meaning taller and denser but doubt anything over 4 or 6 stories will will happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Yes but something more representive of a city of 75k people, meaning taller and denser but doubt anything over 4 or 6 stories will will happen

4 to 6 stories in that area would make a huge difference over what's been there for the last 70 years lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reporting from Forest Hills area, the Crahen/Leonard Curve is fully underway. It will make Leonard Street connect with Crahen Avenue so there is no T-stop for Crahen traffic. Leonard traffic coming from the park and the dead end will have to stop at the new curve (kind of like they did at Kraft and Burton by the Mary Free Bed YMCA). I can't tell you how many people have asked me if Meijer Gardens is finally doing something with that property, and I tell them they should be members here. :)

Also in Crahen Avenue news, the office development is underway at Crahen and Fulton. And First Companies has started construction on yet another office building on East Paris near Burton (North of). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Reporting from Forest Hills area, the Crahen/Leonard Curve is fully underway. It will make Leonard Street connect with Crahen Avenue so there is no T-stop for Crahen traffic. Leonard traffic coming from the park and the dead end will have to stop at the new curve (kind of like they did at Kraft and Burton by the Mary Free Bed YMCA). I can't tell you how many people have asked me if Meijer Gardens is finally doing something with that property, and I tell them they should be members here. :)

Also in Crahen Avenue news, the office development is underway at Crahen and Fulton. And First Companies has started construction on yet another office building on East Paris near Burton (North of). 

 

I saw the curve and think it’ll be a big improvement. One thing I noticed on the golf course itself is they ARE pushing dirt around. Probably 200 yards off Crahen they’ve sculpted a pretty nice hill. Doesn’t look like they just dumped dirt, but did it with purpose.

i don’t think they’re doing any real work on that property in the near future but maybe they had extra dirt from construction and it fits the master plan down the road?

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I saw the curve and think it’ll be a big improvement. One thing I noticed on the golf course itself is they ARE pushing dirt around. Probably 200 yards off Crahen they’ve sculpted a pretty nice hill. Doesn’t look like they just dumped dirt, but did it with purpose.

i don’t think they’re doing any real work on that property in the near future but maybe they had extra dirt from construction and it fits the master plan down the road?

Joe

I've wondered the same thing but I can't believe they'd take on their current expansion and a new one too. Which reminds me, I think the new rooftop garden at the Gardens is now open, with a new Calder sculpture on loan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of a surprise but not really.  Twisted Rooster on the Beltline is closing and the owners are trying a new format:

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/money/business/twisted-rooster-closed-will-reopen-as-brunch-restaurant-later-this-summer/69-d213cdd0-6511-42d1-82fa-bb78d02e2ba7

The North East Beltline is a meat grinder for restaurants.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.