Suburban Projects

GRLaker

20 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Made it out to Woodland today, the new wing makes the mall feel so much bigger. Super pleased with how fluid it feels with the rest of the mall, minus a few obvious minute details it doesn’t feel any different than the rest of the mall. What really struck me is how much open area there is where the play area used to be, I’m super curious to see what they end up doing with that space. 

Also, Black Rock did not disappoint, super cool vibe in there, a lot different then a traditional mall chain restaurant.

I was out there too the other day. Von Maur is not bad, certainly doesn't feel like a TJ Maxx like Macy's is starting to feel like. I did notice that Macy's redid the masonry on the outside of their building. Obviously sensing some competitive pressure. 

22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I was out there too the other day. Von Maur is not bad, certainly doesn't feel like a TJ Maxx like Macy's is starting to feel like. I did notice that Macy's redid the masonry on the outside of their building. Obviously sensing some competitive pressure. 

The outside of Macy’s is wayyy nicer than the jc penny 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Oops. Guess they realized there are a lot of breakfast places of a similar ilk out there? ;)

https://mibiz.com/sections/small-business/anna-s-house-voluntarily-dismisses-lawsuit-against-meritage-hospitality

Joe

I imagine what happened is that over at Anna's house someone read this forum and took the free legal advice that was handed out over here, particularly GRDadof3's comments.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ProtoSapien said:

While that lawsuit may have be difficult to win, the Meritage general counsel's comment, “We didn’t try to copy them in any way, shape or form” seems a little facetious to me.  It doesn't take an expert in trade dress to see the similarities between the two.

I was driving up the Beltline from 28th to Knapp yesterday.  Passed Anna's then Morning Belle a bit later.  I wished I would have taken pictures,  I really was struck by how similar the schemes were. 

On 4/24/2018 at 3:16 PM, Sparty97 said:

Saw that Bon Chon is closed.  Bummed i never got to try it.  That strip mall must be too far north of Knapps crossing to have the kind of traffic needed.  Biggby, a salad place and another thing all closed in that strip i think.  BonChon looks like it could have done better downtown GR for the lunch crowd.

6 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

Saw that Bon Chon is closed.  Bummed i never got to try it.  That strip mall must be too far north of Knapps crossing to have the kind of traffic needed.  Biggby, a salad place and another thing all closed in that strip i think.  BonChon looks like it could have done better downtown GR for the lunch crowd.

Biggby and the salad place were in the other strip mall up the hill. But Jaku Sushi is doing really well there and is pretty much always crowded. 

15 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

When I drove by last weekend it said "Closed temporarily." Has that changed? 

44 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I was out on Alpine yesterday and noticed the TJ Maxx in Green Ridge Square is no longer there. Moving? There was some construction going on in the far SE corner of the theater parking lot. 

When they built and opened the new TJ Maxx on East Beltline, they pitched it as that they were "moving" to a new location from their Alpine store to East Beltline. They even did promotional advertising along the lines of "come see where we moved to" kinds of things. I usually think of those moves as down the street/to a different shopping center, not across town haha. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

Exactly! 

My guess is that the TJ's on Alpine was redundant with the Marshall's(same parent company) across the street?  

This conversation line reminds me that Greenridge Square has been on my mind lately.   It's really started to look and feel like a dinosaur over the last decade.  A total relic of late 80s/early 90s cookie cutter strips surrounded by seas of parking out front.  Back in the 90s I just thought it was normal.  Now I think it's hideous lol.  It feels so hodge podged together the way they  built whole strips hidden behind other strips.  It's only saving grace is that there's very little retail alternative on that side of town so it doesn't have any direct competition.  Though I wonder they have to be feeling some heat from all the investments happening on 28th St, and Knapps Corner. 

I know there's not even a snowballs chance in hell, but it would be bad ass if they'd bull doze it and turn it into more of a lifestyle format lining the freeway.   That Target has to be one of the last of it's kind since all the other ones have been changed to the current supercenter format.   Maybe they could even finish a connection for North Center Dr. to W. River Dr.  and create a bit of a reliever!     A guy can dream can't he?

• Like 1

Speaking of Alpine.  Anyone have any idea why there is almost no development West of Alpine and North of 96?  I would that would be some pretty prime real estate, but it's mostly farms.   Is it still considered contaminated from pesticides used or maybe due to the fact that Walker has an income tax?  I've always been curious.

Time for you to take a ride. There's Walker View , Northridge Dr. from Bristol to Walker (the supposed Cabella's site) filling up nicely. Northridge west of Walker has a big development by Visser Bros past the Ridgeview Stamping facility with only the orchard property to the west to stop connecting to Fruit Ridge. And that connection is being worked on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

Time for you to take a ride. There's Walker View , Northridge Dr. from Bristol to Walker (the supposed Cabella's site) filling up nicely. Northridge west of Walker has a big development by Visser Bros past the Ridgeview Stamping facility with only the orchard property to the west to stop connecting to Fruit Ridge. And that connection is being worked on.

ehh you're probably right, I was just looking at the google maps, which I'm sure is at least a few years old.  I guess I was referring more to the area North of 4 Mile and West of Cordes.....  It's always just kind of interesting to me that one can be on the insanity of Alpine one moment and then driving through orchards the next

Untitled.thumb.png.2958b47c231db0b12d5252ac54d4e8f2.png

3 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Speaking of Alpine.  Anyone have any idea why there is almost no development West of Alpine and North of 96?  I would that would be some pretty prime real estate, but it's mostly farms.   Is it still considered contaminated from pesticides used or maybe due to the fact that Walker has an income tax?  I've always been curious.

From what I understand, Alpine Twp. took a very hard line when it came to commercial development years back, and has some tight laws that confines all of the the retail very close to Alpine, and only a short distance into the Twp. That is why when you go past Menards virtually all of the big box/strip development just stops, or when you go a short distance west of Alpine, you are in the country!

Honestly cant blame them. Alpine is just a worse version of 28th street, and if they didn't control this, All of it would end up looking like Kentwood.

• Like 2