Suburban Projects

GRLaker

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Also, Fruit Ridge is quite beautiful and unique. I hope they lock it in as an agricultural zone of some sort.

Joe

I know of a few farms up on the ridge that have received a heritage designation meaning that a certain percentage of the land must remain agricultural.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 4:55 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Speaking of Alpine.  Anyone have any idea why there is almost no development West of Alpine and North of 96?  I would that would be some pretty prime real estate, but it's mostly farms.   Is it still considered contaminated from pesticides used or maybe due to the fact that Walker has an income tax?  I've always been curious.

Walker has an income tax but their property taxes are pretty low compared to other cities in the area.  Kenowa Hills just sank a bunch of money into their schools as well. It's an up-n-coming area, IMO.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, MJLO said:

My guess is that the TJ's on Alpine was redundant with the Marshall's(same parent company) across the street?  

This conversation line reminds me that Greenridge Square has been on my mind lately.   It's really started to look and feel like a dinosaur over the last decade.  A total relic of late 80s/early 90s cookie cutter strips surrounded by seas of parking out front.  Back in the 90s I just thought it was normal.  Now I think it's hideous lol.  It feels so hodge podged together the way they  built whole strips hidden behind other strips.  It's only saving grace is that there's very little retail alternative on that side of town so it doesn't have any direct competition.  Though I wonder they have to be feeling some heat from all the investments happening on 28th St, and Knapps Corner. 

I know there's not even a snowballs chance in hell, but it would be bad ass if they'd bull doze it and turn it into more of a lifestyle format lining the freeway.   That Target has to be one of the last of it's kind since all the other ones have been changed to the current supercenter format.   Maybe they could even finish a connection for North Center Dr. to W. River Dr.  and create a bit of a reliever!     A guy can dream can't he?

I agree Greenridge as a whole is  a relic from the 90s that is in need of a serious facelift. I know AMC renovated the interior recently of the Star Theater but the exterior could benefit from a good powerwash and a coat of fresh paint! 

However, per the latest Walker Planning Commission Target is planning on updating the exterior of its store on Alpine (link below). I'm not sure if they'll renovate the interior. I'm originally from the Saginaw and their Target just did a renovation inside and out, with it looking similar to the renderings from the meeting minutes (link below).  

https://ciwalkermi.civicweb.net/Portal/MeetingInformation.aspx?Org=Cal&Id=705

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 54equalsunity said:

Nice to see this project moving along, even if it is rather uninspiring.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/apartment-complex-to-redevelop-former-studio-28/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

HŌM Flats at 28 West
a068262d29db65ad053f4a9f157c379c.jpgac36365cde6244be4c4e5ebd463f4da3.jpg4e4fb1cb1e9176df83caa6310bbe13a0.jpgfbe9a808c12bc175c51ff864e4c8e85a.jpg590dd2584f2e95b3b731ed239c1e1988.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good infill for a place in that corridor of the metro. Nothing Game Changing, but a solid improvement in comparison to an empty lot.  This is what The Grand Castle developer should have built.  I guarantee anyone that they would have made way more profit by taking this approach.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to a post I saw on Facebook today, apparently the Abercrombie in Rivertown Crossings will be closing in the next couple days. That's a fairly sizable and centrally located store that has been there since the beginning. It has been a while since we have seen anything relating to the future of Rivertown with the new ownership. 

On 12/24/2019 at 7:56 AM, GRLaker said:

According to a post I saw on Facebook today, apparently the Abercrombie in Rivertown Crossings will be closing in the next couple days. That's a fairly sizable and centrally located store that has been there since the beginning. It has been a while since we have seen anything relating to the future of Rivertown with the new ownership. 

I had a feeling that would happen. I thought it was interesting they converted the Abercrombie Kids store into Hollister (thus vacating its original space in the Sears wing) about a year or two ago.  The (same?) thread I saw had a comment that mentioned a manager indicating they "may" open a store at Woodland sometime in 2020. There is some undeveloped space in the new wing so it's totally plausible. Abercrombie's new store design is pretty cool and is smaller than the white/blue format that is (was) at Rivertown. 

To your point though,  I to wonder what Brookfield is planning, if anything, for Rivertown. 

On 12/24/2019 at 7:56 AM, GRLaker said:

According to a post I saw on Facebook today, apparently the Abercrombie in Rivertown Crossings will be closing in the next couple days. That's a fairly sizable and centrally located store that has been here since the beginning. It has been a while since we have seen anything relating to the future of Rivertown with the new ownership. 

It's closed.  Because it was raining out Sunday morning, I did my daly walking inside at Rivertown.  The windows were all papered over and a maintenance guy was painting over the Abercrombie name.

Edited by walker

• 4 weeks later...

Would be a great spot for some dense(r) development, especially on the Laker Line

It's always kinda humorous to me that people buy a house in a development and then get all upset when a similar development is proposed right near them.  If I bought a house on or near a golf course I would almost expect that at some point it would be developed or re-purposed.  The neighbors around Highlands got pretty lucky that Blanford bought the property.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:58 AM, demhem said:

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/walker/lincoln-country-club-development/69-92508e21-6071-4e38-a472-6a3fd8e05320

"New Development Proposed for Lincoln Country Club"

Anyone have any insight on this? Sounds like a mixed-use development is in the works. 

scuttlebutt is that this a senior-focused apartment / independent living complex that is being proposed.  

18 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Sunday paper has the Public Notice for the rezone to PUD, multi family, senior , assisted living and single family,  public park, public dog park  trails etc.

Is that City of Walker? I looked on their website and can't find anything for this project. 

It's in Walker. My wife insists on getting the print newspaper. I do a quick read looking for the public  notices for the local gov'ts. That's where I saw it. The full application and staff reports should be on the website a week from Friday  IIRC. 

I saw a preliminary layout some time ago. To me it made sense, single family next to existing single family , buffering to the senior / assisted living buffering to the multi family, with park / green space.

Fox17 had a few more details with some renderings....

"The plan shows developers proposing a group of single-family homes in the northern region of the land, 200 single-story apartment units towards the middle and a mixed-use facility, which could end up being an assisted living facility, in the area along Lake Michigan Drive."

Gotta say, not really a big fan of the single story apartments.  Density would be better.  I suppose if the apartments are meant for older folks it kinda makes sense

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/kent/preliminary-proposal-going-around-for-development-at-lincoln-country-club

download1.thumb.jpg.85d18efc1dac9bac0e324ed92ed2e9bf.jpgdownload3.thumb.jpg.9632e19832c08c1493659b3b3ea2fbe9.jpgdownload4.thumb.jpg.8813db0250248448be23b1b1b3c240d7.jpgdownload22.thumb.jpg.d8f7cf39fcc598ac164e508b9791eab1.jpg

https://nypost.com/2019/04/21/walmart-of-liquor-fighting-for-store-in-westchester-county/

I'm not sure how I feel about Total Wine as a company. He seemed to be quite aggressive in their litigation and selling prices lower than anybody else can possibly sell them. Cant you find the article right now but, I believe they went so far as to set up a shell company of the sister of the owners to bypass New York's regulations preventing multiple stores opening, which is a way that they protect the local liquor stores and bodegas.

It seems like it's a fine fit for Cascade though. Not great for left turns and either directions but I guess the competition would be rishi's International Beverage and I think Cooper's Hawk now? Costco even.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, grandrollerz said:

https://nypost.com/2019/04/21/walmart-of-liquor-fighting-for-store-in-westchester-county/

I'm not sure how I feel about Total Wine as a company. He seemed to be quite aggressive in their litigation and selling prices lower than anybody else can possibly sell them. Cant you find the article right now but, I believe they went so far as to set up a shell company of the sister of the owners to bypass New York's regulations preventing multiple stores opening, which is a way that they protect the local liquor stores and bodegas.

It seems like it's a fine fit for Cascade though. Not great for left turns and either directions but I guess the competition would be rishi's International Beverage and I think Cooper's Hawk now? Costco even.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

Cooper's Hawk is primarily just a restaurant. I can't see very many people stopping there to buy wine and beer. 

I guess on DrinkGR they're saying Rishi isn't happy about this store opening, which I've heard great things about Rishi's but it's not close to my house so I haven't ventured into it. Time to support local. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:58 AM, demhem said:

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/walker/lincoln-country-club-development/69-92508e21-6071-4e38-a472-6a3fd8e05320

"New Development Proposed for Lincoln Country Club"

Anyone have any insight on this? Sounds like a mixed-use development is in the works. 

Looks like the developer cancelled their plans.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/kent/developer-backs-out-of-lincoln-country-club-project