Suburban Projects

GRLaker

On 3/15/2017 at 8:18 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Easier said than done. :) I have to go through and find all the woodland posts in here.

Sorry...didn't know it was that tough.  I thought anything was easy and possible with you! ;)

Should we just start a new thread?  Whatever, I don't really care that much.  

Edited by mgreven

2 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Sorry...didn't know it was that tough.  I thought anything was easy and possible with you! ;)

Should we just start a new thread?  Whatever, I don't really care that much.  

Haha, thanks. I split off a bunch of them into a new thread. I'll see if there are any stragglers. 

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, wyoming_mi said:

The 9 acre site is excess land just sold by the Knights of Columbus council on Clyde Park. 

I was in this area the other day and was surprised at how old the Meijer store is. Like a remnant from the eighties. The rest of the area is hopping, including an extensive renovation of the Hampton Inn and the new Chick-fil-a in the Meijer parking lot. They need to renovate that dinosaur. :)

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I was in this area the other day and was surprised at how old the Meijer store is. Like a remnant from the eighties. The rest of the area is hopping, including an extensive renovation of the Hampton Inn and the new Chick-fil-a in the Meijer parking lot. They need to renovate that dinosaur. :)

Joe

That whole corridor is going through a mini boom. With the MVP motorsports, hotel and "biggest gas station in the metro area" at Clyde Park and 44th, it certainly looks a lot better than it has. 

I actually noticed a similar boomlet in the Portage/Gary Indiana area along I-94 a few weeks ago. A lot of these motel clusters going up. (Right by the giant Bass Pro Shops and a few miles in that vicinity)

10 hours ago, getemngo said:

Seems a little strange to put a Holiday Inn Express less than two miles away from the Holiday Inn Express in Cutlerville.

Plus they're planning to build two by Metro Health (by the Hyatt). That's like 10 hotels/motels all less than 2 miles away from each other.IMG_4708.thumb.PNG.5b5b07c0e1b04c4cf00e736f2c760645.PNG

On 4/21/2017 at 8:11 AM, joeDowntown said:

Joe

No!  It's retro.  Keep the retro.

Yea odd to see the "same old brands" so close but that's what developers here like to do, there's little variety when it comes to franchise brands in this area, although improving as of late. At least one is a new brand to the area but there's plenty of missing names such as cambria, la Quinta, aloft and home2 to name a few equivalents. The same thing in restaraunts, retail, and gas stations. It's like the ideal development would be a holiday inn express with a McDonald and a mobile station on it because those are the most common brands....boring 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

That area needs a shot in the arm. I hope it goes through.

Joe

Wyoming as a whole needs it. The only development that happens there is near Grandville. Grandville has the new Cabelas, Target, surrounding stores, mall and castle.

It would be nice to see this and something else develop where the GM stamping plant used to be. That lot is almost as big as the whole 28 West area (minus Rogers Plaza).

Edited by WMrapids

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Well this sounds promising, for the old Klingman's store on 28th st in wyoming:

https://mibiz.com/item/24772-hinman-co-proposes-redevelopment-of-klingman’s-furniture-site-in-wyoming

So, a “national client” with "multiple Grand Rapids-area offices" and "approximately 450 employees" to relocate?  Any guesses on who that could be? 

3 hours ago, wingbert said:

So, a “national client” with "multiple Grand Rapids-area offices" and "approximately 450 employees" to relocate?  Any guesses on who that could be? 

Goodwill Industries? They're not that far away from that location now.  It could be a whole host of companies. 

On 5/3/2017 at 11:17 AM, wingbert said:

It's Advantage Sales & Marketing. Planning to consolidate their downtown Grand Rapids and Cascade offices. 

https://mibiz.com/item/24780-advantage-solutions-plans-office-consolidation,-relocation-to-klingman’s-site-in-wyoming

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GRBorn said:

It's Advantage Sales & Marketing. Planning to consolidate their downtown Grand Rapids and Cascade offices. 

https://mibiz.com/item/24780-advantage-solutions-plans-office-consolidation,-relocation-to-klingman’s-site-in-wyoming

Grand Rapids loss is Wyoming gain, and you can' beat the parking at the Rogers site. Frankly Wyoming needs some love, I say good for them.

The article states: 

The company made headlines in 2014 when it cited the increasing cost of parking in Grand Rapids’ core business district as the reason it planned to move about 300 employees out of its downtown location to the Centennial Park office, according to reports at the time.

That move came after Orion Construction Co. Inc. built the new mixed-use Arena Place development on a surface parking lot near Advantage Sales & Marketing downtown office.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Grand Rapids loss is Wyoming gain, and you can' beat the parking at the Rogers site. Frankly Wyoming needs some love, I say good for them.

The article states: 

The company made headlines in 2014 when it cited the increasing cost of parking in Grand Rapids’ core business district as the reason it planned to move about 300 employees out of its downtown location to the Centennial Park office, according to reports at the time.

That move came after Orion Construction Co. Inc. built the new mixed-use Arena Place development on a surface parking lot near Advantage Sales & Marketing downtown office.

Exactly. 

On 5/5/2017 at 11:20 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Exactly. 

I don't understand why they would leave downtown?  Couldn't they just ride buses and bikes until self-driving cars become common?  Companies like this have to understand that their silly need to "operate their business" right now is not as important as the city's long-term "vision".

• Like 1