Jump to content

Suburban Projects


GRLaker

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Phoenix theaters just announced plans to lease the old Celebration Cinema Woodland space. They’re doing extensive renovations and turning it back into a first run theater. 

Joe

Man I'd be nervous to invest capital in new cinema space right now.   Though that's why these decisions are made by smarter people than I. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I almost forgot that we're getting a Whole Foods. :) Drove by yesterday and all the framing is done. Store looks pretty sizable.

I also went by East Beltline and 4 Mile for the first time in a while and dang, that Grove by Watermark apartment project seemed to go from 0 to 60 in a short period of time. It looks completely finished and built out already. 

https://www.thompsonthrift.com/properties/the-grove-by-watermark

They're also expanding that (ugly) townhouse project at 5 Mile and EBL and they're starting on that townhouse project near Kuyper College that Orion is doing. The East Beltline is definitely going to get uglier with traffic in the next few years. No plans to go to 6 lanes? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

  • 2 weeks later...

I thought this was interesting. Amazing that the Grand Rapids Press is now basically a footnote in History. My brother worked there in the Nineties, was given a pledge that he had a job for life (he left before newspapers came crumbling down), and remembers vividly that they weren't concerned about the Internet. It was just a fad. I sure hope at some point people find a way to make money in local journalism. We definitely still need it.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/09/former-mlive-printing-plant-sold-to-industrial-contracting-company.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My brother e-mailed me asking me if I knew what was up with Green Ridge Square Mall.  Not sure why he thought I might know.  Not even sure why he cares.  Alpine Ave. real estate is one of many topics I have no particular knowledge  about.  But maybe someone here knows.  Here's what triggered his inquiry:

WOODTV: owner-announces-plans-to-sell-green-ridge-square-mall

press release: Retail-Value-Inc.-Announces-Contract-to-Sell-Green-Ridge-Square

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in Guitar Center a few weeks ago and they were redoing the facade and concrete in front. They had just opened for the day lucky for me, had to wait for concrete to dry enough to walk on.  I asked if they were taking the opportunity to upgrade with all the construction going on. The guy said no, that Whole Foods was making it happen and paying for it. The old look of the stores there were not up to Whole Foods standards. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

I was in Guitar Center a few weeks ago and they were redoing the facade and concrete in front. They had just opened for the day lucky for me, had to wait for concrete to dry enough to walk on.  I asked if they were taking the opportunity to upgrade with all the construction going on. The guy said no, that Whole Foods was making it happen and paying for it. The old look of the stores there were not up to Whole Foods standards. 

I know a guy who owns the building on the end of that strip mall. They were thinking of selling before WF's announced. Now they're looking at holding on for a little while. That whole corner is going to be worth a lot more I would think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, walker said:

My brother e-mailed me asking me if I knew what was up with Green Ridge Square Mall.  Not sure why he thought I might know.  Not even sure why he cares.  Alpine Ave. real estate is one of many topics I have no particular knowledge  about.  But maybe someone here knows.  Here's what triggered his inquiry:

WOODTV: owner-announces-plans-to-sell-green-ridge-square-mall

press release: Retail-Value-Inc.-Announces-Contract-to-Sell-Green-Ridge-Square

So to answer my own question, WOODTV reveals the new owner(s):

WOODTV: 23-3m-deal-complete-meet-the-new-owners-of-green-ridge-square-mall

They don't say if they intend to do anything with it though besides continuing to collect rent.

Edited by walker
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 9/29/2021 at 5:58 PM, joeDowntown said:

Amazing that the Grand Rapids Press is now basically a footnote in History. My brother worked there in the Nineties, was given a pledge that he had a job for life (he left before newspapers came crumbling down), and remembers vividly that they weren't concerned about the Internet.

Yep, I have a close friend who worked at the Press and gave a Power Point presentation on classifieds, the Internet, e-bay, craigslists, etc... pitching that the press should actively maneuver to retain this business.  Management told him that exactly: it's a fad.  He was gob-smacked by their level of disinterest.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:56 AM, MJLO said:

Man I'd be nervous to invest capital in new cinema space right now

Venues are a solid investment.  Theaters aren't just for movies; corporations, churches, etc... rent them too.  Also its a great location.  It is interesting the trend to smaller (few screens) and more quality and amenties vs the we-have-the-most-screen competitions of the 70s/80s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, walker said:

No details yet but the same developer that is developing the English Hills golf course will be be submitting a proposal to develop the Pines  Golf course in Wyoming for housing:

WOODTV: owners-to-sell-the-pines-golf-course-in-wyoming-to-developer  

Surprising but not surprising. With Maple Hill and Kaufman so close, it was hefty competition. I feel like Ironwood will be the next golf course to go, but it's not served by water and sewer (and it's pretty far from water and sewer) so development opportunities will be limited. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Surprising but not surprising. With Maple Hill and Kaufman so close, it was hefty competition. I feel like Ironwood will be the next golf course to go, but it's not served by water and sewer (and it's pretty far from water and sewer) so development opportunities will be limited. 

Gracewil has to be a site to watch for residential development too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 12:37 PM, cstonesparty said:

Gracewil has to be a site to watch for residential development too

I drove by there the other day and was thinking the same.

Isn't that Alpine township though?  They seem to be very anti-development.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like Spectrum Health is proposing to build an orthopedic surgery center at their Integrated Care campus at 3 Mile and East Beltline. Can't find any images of it or see which parcel it's on. $17 Million price tag so not huge.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had 5 orthopedic spine surgeries in the past 6 years. I had my choice of  Butterworth,  Blodgett ,  or Metro M. I picked Blodgett since it was a guaranteed private room:) I still say Spectrum does not have a  long tern plan. Which ever  practice / program  want's a new building / the latest and greatest, gets one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.