Suburban Projects

GRLaker

On 7/24/2022 at 8:59 AM, Khorasaurus1 said:

This is what Walker's Master Plan shows for the area west of Meijer. 

spacer.png

I've been listening to the zoning/city commission work session with JAG & Cherette on this project, which occurred in August.  Really interesting.  The mixed use aspect along M45 is lost on the developers, and TOD as a concept is a nonstarter for them too.  Seems like that SilverLine stop at Ferndale is a gift to a developer, but these folks don't get it.  Gonna be a long slog for the Walker team having to negotiate this through... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Fencing is up and dirt is moving at the E. Beltline/3 Mile Spectrum location.  Does anyone have a rendering or any more details?

They’re floating around here somewhere. Imagine a building that looks nothing like the other building stuck to the side of the existing building. It’s about that nice and cohesive. 

Joe

• Haha 1

Official groundbreaking for the new Spectrum Health Building in the Beltline. Pretty interesting mix of surgical suites, rehab and injury prevention (with a basketball/ training facility and outdoor training/rehab area).

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/09/spectrum-health-breaks-ground-on-orthopedic-health-performance-center.html?outputType=amp

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Official groundbreaking for the new Spectrum Health Building in the Beltline. Pretty interesting mix of surgical suites, rehab and injury prevention (with a basketball/ training facility and outdoor training/rehab area).

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/09/spectrum-health-breaks-ground-on-orthopedic-health-performance-center.html?outputType=amp

This project seemed to have a bunch of different versions, but it looks like this is the one. 117,000 square feet is pretty sizable.  At least this version looks somewhat like the existing one. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always wondered why that area isn't more developed, especially with all of the development south and west of the area.  The property south of here near the river is contaminated correct?

I would think development would continue to spread south from LMD down Wilson.  Maybe this will be one of the first major developments in the area.  Wilson can be somewhat of a nightmare during peak hours and bumper to bumper during peak times.  The area is really going to need another route over the river in the future.

29 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

...along with extending Fulton St all way out from the east

in one of these threads, we've had some conversation about the old gypsum mines, and I found an old map I posted there... Fulton would cross those mines, and the sinkholes that exist in that area.  I suspect a thoroughfare of the kind you're suggesting would be problematic.  

19 hours ago, Jonesey said:

I would think development would continue to spread south from LMD down Wilson.  Maybe this will be one of the first major developments in the area.  Wilson can be somewhat of a nightmare during peak hours and bumper to bumper during peak times.  The area is really going to need another route over the river in the future.

I live in the Shawmut Hills area and we go through LMD/Wilson and down Wilson frequently.  It's quickly becoming a major traffic headache, and lots of people on this side of town are finding ways to avoid both.  MDOT and GVMC need to take a real close look at long range plans for this area.  

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 11:44 AM, GR8scott said:

That area is strange and eerily underdeveloped until very recently. I wonder why there are not more throughfares, Kenowa seems like the perfect road to run all the way north to Ironwood as a reliever for Wilson along with extending Fulton St all way out from the east

Kenowa does make the most sense.  They could then build a bridge and it would go right past the water treatment plant.  I did see in the Walker planning agenda that the longterm plan is to extend Ferndale all the way to O'Brien, maybe tie it into that somehow?

On 12/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, cstonesparty said:

in one of these threads, we've had some conversation about the old gypsum mines, and I found an old map I posted there... Fulton would cross those mines, and the sinkholes that exist in that area.  I suspect a thoroughfare of the kind you're suggesting would be problematic.  

I live in the Shawmut Hills area and we go through LMD/Wilson and down Wilson frequently.  It's quickly becoming a major traffic headache, and lots of people on this side of town are finding ways to avoid both.  MDOT and GVMC need to take a real close look at long range plans for this area.  

Wilson needs to be greatly expanded, almost a divided highway.  It's the only road bridge across the river between wealthy and LMD.  I don't think it's even on MDOT's radar, maybe GVMC

For whatever reason, the entire west side seems to be poorly planned, especially with major, continuous north/south roads.

So Wyoming is building a pricey pedestrian bridge over 28th Street from the Hom Flats apartments to… Applebee’s?

D37A83F1-8FE3-4CBB-BB7F-37AC523EFC26.thumb.jpeg.dc041f0a7ae522d5d5d4c67af89c0ed9.jpeg8E3EDD1D-4103-48AA-8F76-4CC4D311A472.thumb.jpeg.46a297c6e0791e961dc7f5c4ad3da43a.jpeg

There’s actually quite a bit packed in their press release, though.

https://www.wyomingmi.gov/About-Wyoming/News/ID/1259/City-of-Wyoming-to-Receive-6-Million-from-Kent-County-ARPA-Funding?fbclid=IwAR3QCpEBGlCrL2ZAz1eEwkF4x7zZJjvqv2QMbeNtTijlmkbdycS2L1txEsk&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by WMrapids
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting project in the Planning Commission Agenda for January:

Victory Development is looking to build ~250 apartments in a 5 story building on the parcel in front of Celebration Cinema. 

Located near the corner of East Beltline and Knapp the proposed Celebration Apartments will complete the vision established in the approved Celebration Village PRD (Ord. 99-36, approved 1999). The proposed Celebration Apartments is a five-story mixed-use building consisting of ground floor commercial (retail or office) lease space, up to 250 apartments (234 shown in the provided architectural plans), and various communal spaces for residents and visitors. The building establishes a contextually appropriate street presence with commercial uses facing the pedestrian oriented section of Celebration Drive, at the heart of the Celebration Village PRD. The corner of Main Street and Celebration Drive will be activated by the main lobby for the apartments above. Main Street will be fronted with garden-level residential units along a welcoming streetscape. The interior of this ground-floor liner building will be an 85 space covered parking area for residents and guests. The upper four floors of the building will host a mix of studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom apartment which wrap a central courtyard/greenspace, providing natural lighting and views for all residential units.

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 12.08.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 12.09.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 12.12.18 PM.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is BARELY outside of the city limits so it fits here, but the Ken's Market on Plainfield announced it is expanding:

From their social media:

Ken’s is excited to announce the future greenhouse/store expansion at our Plainfield location. This includes 8000 sq ft of inside retail area (Former thrift store in back) and new 12,000 sq ft greenhouse in the garden center.
Please excuse our parking lot change during construction, we will re-stripe and adjust parking when job is complete. Project is scheduled to be complete for the upcoming spring 2023 season.

another post indicated that the Plainfield location has become their busiest. There aren't alot of options up that way besides Kingma's and Meijer so this should be great for the area. Also glad to hear they will be improving that parking lot because it has gotten pretty bad.

kens.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I noticed a new project going in at 36th and just east of Jefferson on this vacant lot 

This makes me quite sad, actually, because this will remove some of the last runway remnants from the old airport.

Screenshot_2023-01-11-12-29-24-46_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

What part of that property still had runway remnants on it?