Suburban Projects

GRLaker

19 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

A bit confused by this report as to where this is going to go, or how they expect "downtown Wyoming" to be completed in 5 years, but here is the "next step" in that vision.

Reminds me of those metal pedestrian bridges that used to be over 28th street, Alpine, and S. Division. But this one is a tad bit nicer.

I thought the W. 28 was built to be the "downtown"?  ATM it's just typical suburban crap with angled parking.  It will be interesting to see what Magnus proposes, I would assume it will be ground floor retail with residential above.  If they're really serious about it, they should look at Ada.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jonesey said:

I thought the W. 28 was built to be the "downtown"?  ATM it's just typical suburban crap with angled parking.  It will be interesting to see what Magnus proposes, I would assume it will be ground floor retail with residential above.  If they're really serious about it, they should look at Ada.

Ada is designed to look like a quaint small town center.  Not sure that model would play out the same way in Rogers plaza where the neighboring demographics have household incomes around 1/3rd that of Ada.   I would think 77k person Wyoming would want something a bit more "mid-risey", to try and draw in a higher earning labor base. 

Wyoming also doesn’t have a billionaire family playing Sim City. To me, I’d think they’d have to start residential with the city giving incentives to build. City services could also be moved/reorganized to add a commercial component. I have a hard time seeing multiples developers flock to this unless they have incentives to build (monetary support, tax cuts, cheap land. Maybe all of the above?). It’ll be interesting to see what Magnus presents, but $65M won’t built a whole new city center.

Also, is it just me, or does the rendering of the bridge just look like a chain link fence walkway? The city manager acted like the archtiectural design would make it a focal point, but I looked a lot like the pedestrian walkways of the 60s - 70s that were eventually torn down  

I truly hope it goes well, but it still seems like a field of dreams situation  

Joe

• Like 2

https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/new-ada-hotel-expected-to-open-spring-2024/

"Ada Hotel, previously referred to as Ada House, is expected to open in the spring of 2024. Construction on the 37,000-square-foot project started in February of 2022. It will be located off River Street across from Legacy Park in Ada Township.

The hotel will have 36 hotel rooms, two restaurants, a lounge and a fitness center, according to a Wednesday release from CDV5 Properties and AHC Hospitality."

19 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

A bit confused by this report as to where this is going to go, or how they expect "downtown Wyoming" to be completed in 5 years, but here is the "next step" in that vision.

Reminds me of those metal pedestrian bridges that used to be over 28th street, Alpine, and S. Division. But this one is a tad bit nicer.

I thought we already talked about the “Bridge to Applebee’s” ^_^

On 12/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, WMrapids said:

So Wyoming is building a pricey pedestrian bridge over 28th Street from the Hom Flats apartments to… Applebee’s?

D37A83F1-8FE3-4CBB-BB7F-37AC523EFC26.thumb.jpeg.dc041f0a7ae522d5d5d4c67af89c0ed9.jpeg8E3EDD1D-4103-48AA-8F76-4CC4D311A472.thumb.jpeg.46a297c6e0791e961dc7f5c4ad3da43a.jpeg

There’s actually quite a bit packed in their press release, though.

https://www.wyomingmi.gov/About-Wyoming/News/ID/1259/City-of-Wyoming-to-Receive-6-Million-from-Kent-County-ARPA-Funding?fbclid=IwAR3QCpEBGlCrL2ZAz1eEwkF4x7zZJjvqv2QMbeNtTijlmkbdycS2L1txEsk&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Found it…

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Wyoming also doesn’t have a billionaire family playing Sim City. To me, I’d think they’d have to start residential with the city giving incentives to build. City services could also be moved/reorganized to add a commercial component. I have a hard time seeing multiples developers flock to this unless they have incentives to build (monetary support, tax cuts, cheap land. Maybe all of the above?). It’ll be interesting to see what Magnus presents, but $65M won’t built a whole new city center.

Also, is it just me, or does the rendering of the bridge just look like a chain link fence walkway? The city manager acted like the archtiectural design would make it a focal point, but I looked a lot like the pedestrian walkways of the 60s - 70s that were eventually torn down  

I truly hope it goes well, but it still seems like a field of dreams situation  

Joe

I always find out things like this kind of neat, when things are torn down and obsolete. But it's one of the bridges still up on Division? And I wanna say maybe one is still up on Alpine?

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I always find out things like this kind of neat, when things are torn down and obsolete. But it's one of the bridges still up on Division? And I wanna say maybe one is still up on Alpine?

There's one on Division at Godwin Heights Middle school, but that one kind of makes sense with the parking and building being on opposite sides.  IIRC, there was one on Alpine, maybe by the old Lear plant or Meijer?  There are still a ton in Detroit, but maintinance has been an issue, there was even one (Corktown I think?) that somebody actually fell through.  MDOT is adding more (way better looking ones) with the 94 reconstruction and also making the road bridges multimodal.    Detroit has a lot more depressed highways than GR, so we get the tunnels.

17 minutes ago, Jonesey said:

There's one on Division at Godwin Heights Middle school, but that one kind of makes sense with the parking and building being on opposite sides.  IIRC, there was one on Alpine, maybe by the old Lear plant or Meijer?  There are still a ton in Detroit, but maintinance has been an issue, there was even one (Corktown I think?) that somebody actually fell through.  MDOT is adding more (way better looking ones) with the 94 reconstruction and also making the road bridges multimodal.    Detroit has a lot more depressed highways than GR, so we get the tunnels.

there's also one at Bay View in Petoskey across 31.  Almost had to carry my wife across that one.  She froze...

Belong at Applebees? What does that mean? You must not have been to Wyoming in a while…. If you think Wyoming is going in the right direction, then I have a bridge to nowhere to sell you (oh wait thats what they are doing). 
The new apartments look like a prison block and are in a sea of parking lots. Is it better than it ways? Yes. Right direction? No. No one will use that bridge. How many pedestrians do you ever see walking down 28th street? 
We dont need bridges, we need better planning.

I work at a retail store on 28th near 131. I see maybe 50 people a day walking down the street. Rough estimate, I’ve never actually counted, but it’s a steadier than I think many would expect. I would guess there’s even more foot traffic closer to the High School, where this is building proposed. 

On 5/1/2023 at 9:58 AM, gvsusean said:

No one will use that bridge. How many pedestrians do you ever see walking down 28th street? 
We dont need bridges, we need better planning.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

In a world of malls dying off, you have to admire how Woodland just keeps pushing back and staying on top.

But man I wish this was going to be in the N. Monroe area instead! Looks like a lot of fun.

Yeah I always thought higher end bowling alley would do great outside of central downtown.  Wangers and The Clique are great, but pretty dive-y.  I haven't tried the one at Amway, but that seems a little more like a novelty.  This looks like Revel and Roll and with that many activities may be more well suited for the burbs. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2023 at 11:02 AM, thebeerqueer said:

It’s great that Woodland is getting some love despite the recent occurrences.

This Wall Street Journal article is pretty depressing describing other malls:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/local-malls-stuck-in-death-spiral-plunge-in-value-a7998b7d#:~:text=Large mall anchors like Macy's,the industry%2C” Tibone said.

The first thing that came to mind, despite the obvious Rogers Plaza, is Rivertown. Wow has that mall fallen; half of the parking garage is fenced off, framing is visible at the main entrance, the escalators aren’t working, carousel is closed and it was unusually warm (trying not to pay for cooling?)

16 hours ago, WMrapids said:

It’s great that Woodland is getting some love despite the recent occurrences.

This Wall Street Journal article is pretty depressing describing other malls:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/local-malls-stuck-in-death-spiral-plunge-in-value-a7998b7d#:~:text=Large mall anchors like Macy's,the industry%2C” Tibone said.

The first thing that came to mind, despite the obvious Rogers Plaza, is Rivertown. Wow has that mall fallen; half of the parking garage is fenced off, framing is visible at the main entrance, the escalators aren’t working, carousel is closed and it was unusually warm (trying not to pay for cooling?)

We were just at RT yesterday and we couldn't believe how hot the food court was. Areas of the parking lot look like they haven't been touched in years and is becoming overgrown. It just felt weird. 

I could imagine a not so distant future when rivertown gets females (similar to center pointe). At the same time, I can imagine woodland getting stronger. people’s buying behaviors have changed a lot in the last 15-20 years, but we still are a cold weather state so an enclosed mall still makes sense in our area (but 1 good one, one neglected one? Probably not).

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...