Jump to content

Suburban Projects


GRLaker

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

The new apartment complex on the East Beltline, Springs of Knapps Crossing, added a connector trail from the Beltline to Dunnigan Avenue to the East, so I biked it. :) They had to do quite a bit of site work to get this project to fit onto that parcel. (for those just interested in large scale construction sites).

The stormwater retention (detention?) area in the back is massive. 

59f5cc064cdc7_SpringsofKnappbermstrail3.thumb.jpg.7d126d3ece61dd8ee5891b30cdf3487f.jpg59f5cbfe51ead_SpringsofKnappbermstrail2.thumb.jpg.7a40bb502a967fa8c75237af11839436.jpg59f5cbf6472c3_SpringsofKnappbermstrail.thumb.jpg.37b0333c3e0c41bb7d4430cc0ac5871a.jpg59f5cbec03b30_SpringsofKnappspectrumview.thumb.jpg.860f2dd9284959d616dc54e0129f9346.jpg59f5cbe349bfe_SpringsofKnappretentionpond2.thumb.jpg.23cba2f01b448c24613337377bceffc9.jpg59f5cbd8e5f09_SpringsofKnappretentionpond.thumb.jpg.e2a727deb815e3cef8ea187cdaa8cb27.jpg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

Trying to find the best place for this. 

Wealthy Park Baptist Church is for sale. 18 acres. Could be redeveloped I to a subdivision. 

http://naiwwm.catylist.com/listing/G4scioE6dhU/2233-Michigan-St-NE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503

outside the “city” but a good sized parcel. 

It won't become a subdivision at $77,000 an acre, unless it's very high density townhomes or something similar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastownLeo said:

Trying to find the best place for this. 

Wealthy Park Baptist Church is for sale. 18 acres. Could be redeveloped I to a subdivision. 

http://naiwwm.catylist.com/listing/G4scioE6dhU/2233-Michigan-St-NE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503

outside the “city” but a good sized parcel. 

I suppose you could have put it in the Wealthy Street thread.  Before they relocated to the Michigan Street location they were called the Wealthy Street Baptist Church and they were in a building that is familiar to anyone that's traveled on Wealthy:

5a30a65e145e5_Wealthy_Street_Baptist_Church_Grand_Rapids_(83893).thumb.jpg.9a055a45cb9936a9a80ada78e5006ff0.jpg

I wonder where they are considering relocating to this time?  Back to this location maybe? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Trying to find the best place for this. 

Wealthy Park Baptist Church is for sale. 18 acres. Could be redeveloped I to a subdivision. 

http://naiwwm.catylist.com/listing/G4scioE6dhU/2233-Michigan-St-NE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503

outside the “city” but a good sized parcel. 

It is well within city boundaries, even shares a zip code with downtown. I think it would be a great spot for infill, but it would definitely get push back from the Michigan Oaks neighborhood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, walker said:

I suppose you could have put it in the Wealthy Street thread.  Before they relocated to the Michigan Street location they were called the Wealthy Street Baptist Church and they were in a building that is familiar to anyone that's traveled on Wealthy:

5a30a65e145e5_Wealthy_Street_Baptist_Church_Grand_Rapids_(83893).thumb.jpg.9a055a45cb9936a9a80ada78e5006ff0.jpg

I wonder where they are considering relocating to this time?  Back to this location maybe? :)

I think that church was thinking about selling a few years ago too, but decided to hold off? As I said, that was a couple of years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think that church was thinking about selling a few years ago too, but decided to hold off? As I said, that was a couple of years ago. 

Word on the street (and literally everyone I know from local developers to neighboring businesses to a nearby church) is that Bazzani is working with the church at Wealthy and Eastern to develop the parking lot portion of the property, and maybe even the church building itself, and allow the church to use the sanctuary, etc. I haven't seen drawings or anything but I have heard the abstract of the plans numerous times now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Word on the street (and literally everyone I know from local developers to neighboring businesses to a nearby church) is that Bazzani is working with the church at Wealthy and Eastern to develop the parking lot portion of the property, and maybe even the church building itself, and allow the church to use the sanctuary, etc. I haven't seen drawings or anything but I have heard the abstract of the plans numerous times now. 

That lot is absolutely massive, at lease .25 of the block. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

That lot is absolutely massive, at lease .25 of the block. 

From what I keep hearing it is likely a parking garage with a liner along Wealthy w/ a mixed-use component. With as many people as I know that have told me about it I'm actually shocked that there aren't more concrete and public details out there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2017 at 11:34 AM, GVSUChris said:

From what I keep hearing it is likely a parking garage with a liner along Wealthy w/ a mixed-use component. With as many people as I know that have told me about it I'm actually shocked that there aren't more concrete and public details out there. 

Yes that was an idea I had. That parking lot is huge and the church is hardly used. Theyd make a fortune selling it and moving into a more modern user friendly space. The utilities and upkeep have to be huge.

But the last time I spoke to the pastor was a couple of years ago. Off the record. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I am super excited for this project. Grand Rapids has needed this for years, and if you've ever had the chance to go to Ultimate Soccer in Pontiac, it's an amazing facility! And MSA has gobbled up 90% of the available indoor soccer facilities in the last year or two, pushing a lot of clubs out in favor of their own (youth) soccer teams.

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drove by the hotels under construction around the Cascade Meijer. The property north of the Holiday Inn Express & Suites is going to be a.... Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Seriously, you can see it on Google Street View. Holiday Inn is known to sell its properties and relocate to a new building nearby, but usually that's when the old hotel is 40-50 years old. This is bizarre. To the east of Holiday Inn Express (butting up to Meijer) will be a TownePlace Suites by Marriott.

So besides these two, we have the following hotels under construction or proposed:

  • SpringHill Suites by Marriott next to Zeigler Chrysler in Grandville (opening this month)
  • Hampton Inn on Wilson in front of Grandville High School
  • proposed Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, and TownePlace Suites by Marriott on Clyde Park south of Craig's Cruisers
  • proposed Home2 Suites by Hilton and Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Metro Health Village
  • proposed Holiday Inn Express and unknown Marriott brand at Broadmoor & Patterson

...and of course, that's ignoring the Embassy Suites on Monroe or the 3+ hotels coming downtown. Anything else? Anything in Grand Rapids Township or Walker?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, getemngo said:

Drove by the hotels under construction around the Cascade Meijer. The property north of the Holiday Inn Express & Suites is going to be a.... Holiday Inn Express & Suites. Seriously, you can see it on Google Street View. Holiday Inn is known to sell its properties and relocate to a new building nearby, but usually that's when the old hotel is 40-50 years old. This is bizarre. To the east of Holiday Inn Express (butting up to Meijer) will be a TownePlace Suites by Marriott.

So besides these two, we have the following hotels under construction or proposed:

  • SpringHill Suites by Marriott next to Zeigler Chrysler in Grandville (opening this month)
  • Hampton Inn on Wilson in front of Grandville High School
  • proposed Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, and TownePlace Suites by Marriott on Clyde Park south of Craig's Cruisers
  • proposed Home2 Suites by Hilton and Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Metro Health Village
  • proposed Holiday Inn Express and unknown Marriott brand at Broadmoor & Patterson

...and of course, that's ignoring the Embassy Suites on Monroe or the 3+ hotels coming downtown. Anything else? Anything in Grand Rapids Township or Walker?

Nothing in GR Township or anywhere in Walker that I'm aware of, which is surprising. There may be a hotel as part of Walkerview? I wouldn't be surprised anyway. 

I'm also surprised that there's not a new hotel near Tanger Outlets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The corner parcel in downtown Grandville has a project planned for it, at Wilson and Chicago Drive, Northwest corner. Mixed use, mentions restaurants (plural)? 

The sign there says, "Like us on Facebook".  It doesn't seem to exist on FB though.  Nice start guys... 

I did read they plan on adding 6 parking spaces there which will be tight unless it's ground level parking.  It's very tight with the railroad right-of-way there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The corner parcel in downtown Grandville has a project planned for it, at Wilson and Chicago Drive, Northwest corner. Mixed use, mentions restaurants (plural)? 

As long as they make it a strip mall like the buildings to the north and east, or paint the brick or add cheap siding then hang big awnings on it like the buildings to the west and south it should be fine by the architecturally discerning people of Grandville.  Although the additional traffic congestion at that busy intersection might be a concern.  Just don't make it look like a damn castle... ugh! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

Maybe Grandville can adopt the  medieval castle theme like Frankenmuth has  the Bavarian theme..................:rolleyes:

:rofl: Make hay while the sun shines!!!

Actually the rendering on the sign shows a nondescript two-story boxy mixed-use building with a clock tower on the corner.  Built "almost" to Chicago Drive but with a plaza out in front?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.