The Bobby Hotel, remodel of Wells Fargo Plaza, 9 stories, 144 rooms, complete

markhollin

From Nashville Post:

Nashville-based development and real estate investment company Castlerock Asset Management has released images for its boutique hotel The Bobby.

Earlier this month, the company began adaptive reuse work on downtown’s Wells Fargo Plaza building to house the hotel. The project is estimated to be completed in early 2018, according to a release issued in August.

Located at 230 Fourth Ave. N., the building’s back fronts historic Printer’s Alley. The start comes as Castlerock nears the completion of the SoBro building to house the Westin Nashville hotel.

The hotel’s nine floors will offer 144 rooms and multiple food and beverage outlets including a café and restaurant and bar accessed via Fourth, a roof-top venue and bar, meeting spaces and street-level retail.

DF Chase is serving as general contractor, with David Mexico Design Group the architect. Other companies involved include Bullock Smith and Partners, Structural Design Group, I.C. Thomasson Associates and Civil Site Design Group.

Render looking south along 4th Avenue North. First floor will include a restaurant/bar:

Screenshot 2016-09-08 15.15.57.png

Model looking at rooftop cafe/bar:

Screenshot 2016-09-08 15.16.44.png

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Considering what that building looks like at present, I consider the look a vast improvement. That block is certainly getting a new life with all this investment. Should make the area considerably more active night & day!

Agree.    Structurally, I don't know how feasible it would be, but it seems like a missed opportunity with the Bobby renovation to not activate both Printer's Alley and Banker's Alley.  It's a unique property in that it could have entrances and active retail on 3 sides.    

• Like 3

^ ^ ^ I was thinking the same thing.  But it is a parking garage that slopes down to the level of Printers Alley beneath The Bobby with limited access there, and they probably couldn't figure out a way to make street...er alley activation happen.  I do hope they do something with the area in front facing 4th Avenue to make a street cafe or something instead of a basically blank entrance area that is at least 30 feet deep.

• Like 3

Nashville's hotel market is soon to forever change because of projects like this one. Earlier this year I was speaking with a faculty member from Appalachian State University's hospitality school (Boone, NC) and he was telling me how Nashville was "the" place their students most wanted to land a job upon graduation. Pretty cool considering that CLT is a lot closer than Nashville. Up until recently we were the hotel version of a chain restaurant city. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, memphian said:

Nashville's hotel market is soon to forever change because of projects like this one. Earlier this year I was speaking with a faculty member from Appalachian State University's hospitality school (Boone, NC) and he was telling me how Nashville was "the" place their students most wanted to land a job upon graduation. Pretty cool considering that CLT is a lot closer than Nashville. Up until recently we were the hotel version of a chain restaurant city. 

Charlotte has more than nashville and is closer ...interesting. Wonder why'd they'd think that

7 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Charlotte has more than nashville and is closer ...interesting. Wonder why'd they'd think that

It was interesting to learn but it really didn't surprise me because the market is booming and there are 16 hotels either under construction or planned in downtown. So many young professionals are going to want to take advantage of that.

• 1 month later...

From today's Tennessean:

The Metro design review committee is expected to consider upgrades including to the plaza in front of the former Wells Fargo Plaza office building at 230 Fourth Ave. N. related to plans for the 144-room The Bobby boutique hotel.

The plans that architect Bullock Smith & Partners will present also include an addition to the back of the existing building to allow for more rooms plus a rooftop pool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

From today's Tennessean:

The Metro design review committee is expected to consider upgrades including to the plaza in front of the former Wells Fargo Plaza office building at 230 Fourth Ave. N. related to plans for the 144-room The Bobby boutique hotel.

The plans that architect Bullock Smith & Partners will present also include an addition to the back of the existing building to allow for more rooms plus a rooftop pool.

Hoping the design review committee also pushes for some alley-level activation on either the Printer's or Banker's Alley side (or both!).     I noticed this morning that interior demo is underway, with a chute and dumpster on the back side. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

From today's Nashville Post:

Developers of the now-underway The Bobby boutique hotel to take the space in the former Wells Fargo Plaza downtown have landed a building permit valued at $18.245 million.

Nashville-based property development and investment company Castlerock Asset Management is planning a 144-room hotel to occupy the building’s nine floors, located at 230 4th Ave. N. adjacent to Printer’s Alley. Castlerock developed Westin Nashville Hotel in SoBro.

DF Chase is serving as general contractor, with David Mexico Design Group the architect. Other companies involved include Bullock Smith and Partners, Structural Design Group, I.C. Thomasson Associates and Civil Site Design Group.

The project is estimated to be completed in early 2018.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Wasn't expecting to see a tower crane for an 9-story retrofit project, but, here's a base in place.  Guessing it is because there is some heavy lifting of larger items needed for the amenities deck and pool being added on the roof.  Will probably have a fairly stubby arm at the top of the crane.

It's probably the same issue as that with the skinny "James on Division" apartments, mashed up in there between Magazine and Overton Streets.  They had to erect a tower crane to minimize the footprint of disruption, a concern perhaps even more critical at 4th between Union and Church.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From The Tennessean:

The MDHA design review committee will consider proposed changes to the plaza planned on Fourth Avenue North for the Bobby Hotel, along with the proposed signage. The changes will make the plaza in front of the hotel more like a green space, said Ray Waters, vice president with developer Castlerock Asset Management.

A concept drawing showing the plaza planned in front

A concept drawing showing the plaza planned in front of the proposed Bobby Hotel. (Photo: David Mexico Design Group)

The Wells Fargo bank branch will remain on the first level of the nine-story building at 230 Fourth Ave. N. with the remainder of space on that floor to be converted into the Bobby Hotel's lobby, cafe and restaurant, according to a filing with MDHA.

The levels above the lobby will accommodate meeting space, a spa and fitness center and 144 hotel rooms. Overall, the project will involve a roughly 159,000-square-foot total gross area with about 40,7000 square feet of valet-served underground parking and various back of house spaces.

More details form Nashville Post:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20858510/hotel-developer-returns-to-mdha-with-design-update

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 8.58.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 8.58.50 AM.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Work being done on rooftop amenities area. Looking north along 4th Ave. North at intersection with Bankers Alley:

Bobby Hotel 1, May 12, 2017.jpg

Back addition is now topped-out. Looking west along Bankers Alley at intersection with 3rd Ave. North:

Bobby Hotel 2, May 12, 2017.jpg

Looking west from 7th floor of 21c Museum Hotel:

Bobby Hotel 3, May 12, 2017.jpg

Looking NE from 4th Ave. North near intersection with Church Street:

Bobby Hotel 4, May 12, 2017.jpg

• Like 2

With all these hotels being added to the area, Printers Alley is going to be (already is?) a hot, trendy place to go in Nashville. It will be interesting to see where all this goes and how big it gets. It will probably lose its speakeasy like charm, I'm sure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Nashville post, the Bobby Hotel rooftop will feature a 1956 Greyhound Bus bar, because the developer wants to created a "hotel that feels like the quintessential Nashville experience and mirrors the musician's life on the road."

The bus will be hoisted Saturday June 3rd at 10am

This is so unbelievably tacky.

Edited by NashvilleObserver