1 hour ago, King of the Queen City said:

They’ve been moving in this direction (except for PSL owners) for the last few years anyway.  At first they printed out seat locators when you scanned your mobile ticket, but that was probably impractical and a waste of paper since you already had the exact same information on your phone. For now we still have Panthers Gameday magazines to keep as a souvenir, but I expect that the Panthers app will replace those too at some point. Like you, I like to have something to remember the game by, but taking pictures at the game and taking screenshots of my digital tickets will likely have to do going forward. At least moving away from physical tickets will help keep people from being sold fake tickets, but I wish we could get rid of the digital fees.

Soccer does a great job of producing scarves for specific games. Something like that would be cool for NFL games. Maybe its a ball cap or something even cheaper for each individual game that can be collected.

• Like 1

So if I have digital tickets on my phone, for example, how do I sell one on the street the day of game? For example my guest is unable to attend and he returns ticket to my phone/account? I have bought tix on street day of game numerous time (and sold). Or is eliminating that option the point? Feature/bug

Edited by tarhoosier

You can still take a screenshot of the digital ticket and text it to someone. There is even an option to still print off the digital ticket or email the digital ticket to someone else (at least on Stubhub), which is basically just the square bar code. It just makes scalping more awkward now since you will have to essentially text the buyer a screenshot of the ticket... in which the seller could still scam by selling multiple screenshots. Hornets made this move awhile back ago, think it's more of an eco conscious thing than scammer avoidance (although it deters it).

I don't recommend buying scalped tickets over $50 anyways unless you know the scalper. There are "professional" scalpers out in Charlotte they you can rely on though lol. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

My understanding is that as of this past season the Panthers only accept mobile tickets or tickets officially printed by the team. Paper printouts are no longer valid.

7 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

So if I have digital tickets on my phone, for example, how do I sell one on the street the day of game? For example my guest is unable to attend and he returns ticket to my phone/account? I have bought tix on street day of game numerous time (and sold). Or is eliminating that option the point? Feature/bug

You can transfer tickets via e-mail using Ticketmaster or you can list it for resell on the app rather than standing on the street.

16 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Print off tickets are the easiest to fake, it's a joke. Anyone can print multiple copies of the same ticket and sell them, technically not even fake just over selling.   

The point of electronic tickets is that you CANT PRINT a ticket.

This allows them to be able to utilize official ways of sale and resale, effectively taking the street scalper out of business. There is tech in place to make sure screen shots can't be used either. The stadium entrance probably needs some immediate improvement to be able to do that and make the entrance wait experience much easier.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not facility related but Mr Tepper and the Panthers are going after the NFL Draft which has become quite an event in the last few years from a subscriber article this morning.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/02/21/nfl-draft-to-be-charlottes-next-prize-in-major.html

""A Panthers spokesman declined comment on the team’s interest in hosting the draft. The NFL has awarded drafts for 2019, in Nashville, and 2020, in Las Vegas, meaning the earliest it could be held in Charlotte would be in 2021.  The source who spoke to CBJ said Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles and Marcus Jones, the city manager, have signaled their support during informal discussions. Lyles is out of the country for several days and could not be reached.  Laura White, a spokesperson at the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, the tourism agency that worked closely on successful bids for the NBA All-Star Game and the 2020 Republican National Convention, told CBJ, “We pursue these events in close partnership with a lead (entity)""

Evidently in Dallas at Cowboys Frisco TX location it attracted 200,000 fans.  

My bet that it will come to Charlotte in 2021 or maybe a year or two later.  It has never been here. 

Agreed, I can see it coming to town once the new practice facility is created along with whatever "entertainment district" to generate buzz for the area and have a location for the festivities. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

The point of electronic tickets is that you CANT PRINT a ticket.

This allows them to be able to utilize official ways of sale and resale, effectively taking the street scalper out of business. There is tech in place to make sure screen shots can't be used either. The stadium entrance probably needs some immediate improvement to be able to do that and make the entrance wait experience much easier.

I agree with almost everything you said, though in my experience screenshots do work because I have sent them to friends who do not have the Ticketmaster app and they got in the game with no problem. You just have to make sure your screen is bright.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HopHead said:

Hosting the NFL draft would be a great coupe for Charlotte. Glad that Tepper is continuing to push for bigger and better with this franchise. 2021 in Charlotte will be nice too with so many other projects completed by then. 

Yeah the draft fills a lot of hotel rooms for the weekend.   I was supposed to run the Nashville marathon, which is the same weekend as the draft, and hotel prices are completely retarded.  Cheapest Marriott property is a $234/nt Fairfield Inn at the airport.   Probably just going to bail on the whole weekend.  Terrible timing for out of town guests. 

17 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

I agree with almost everything you said, though in my experience screenshots do work because I have sent them to friends who do not have the Ticketmaster app and they got in the game with no problem. You just have to make sure your screen is bright.

The NFL is deploying Ticketmaster's new "Presence" system.  The ticket will have a moving animation that is unique to the ticket and the system can pick up that movement in addition to a bar code. It will also use the near field communication like with Apple Pay that only the app would deploy. If you have a screenshot, your ticket won't have the animation, it won't send the NFC signal, and it won't scan. If you go to customer service for help, they'll ask you to show proof of a ticket in the app, not via a screenshot. If you don't have it, no luck. 

ticketmaster-presence-phone-tapping-enclosure1.jpg?w=420

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Not facility related but Mr Tepper and the Panthers are going after the NFL Draft which has become quite an event in the last few years from a subscriber article this morning.

My bet that it will come to Charlotte in 2021 or maybe a year or two later.  It has never been here. 

This is the logical next step for sure. I saw a documentary a while back talking about how when ESPN first asked to broadcast the event, the NFL didn’t think anybody would watch it. They were wrong, and it turned into a major event to satisfy the appetites of football fans in the offseason anxious to see who their team’s newest stars will be. It was held at Radio City Music Hall for a long time, but after successful drafts in Chicago and Dallas, and with upcoming drafts in Nashville and Vegas it looks like they are trying to move it around more now.  They also recently moved the first round to Thursday night. Apparently the new LA Stadium will also have a theater for events like the draft, so we may have to compete with them for 2021/2022, but with LA hosting Super Bowl LVI in 2022, maybe the NFL will let us have the draft.

11 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The NFL is deploying Ticketmaster's new "Presence" system.  The ticket will have a moving animation that is unique to the ticket and the system can pick up that movement in addition to a bar code. It will also use the near field communication like with Apple Pay that only the app would deploy. If you have a screenshot, your ticket won't have the animation, it won't send the NFC signal, and it won't scan. If you go to customer service for help, they'll ask you to show proof of a ticket in the app, not via a screenshot. If you don't have it, no luck. 

ticketmaster-presence-phone-tapping-enclosure1.jpg?w=420

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware of the change in mobile ticketing.  I have always had the app, but sending screenshots was easy for friends who hadn’t downloaded it. Obviously an animation will not work in a screenshot, so I guess they will have to get the app when they implement  “Presence.”

13 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware of the change in mobile ticketing.  I have always had the app, but sending screenshots was easy for friends who hadn’t downloaded it. Obviously an animation will not work in a screenshot, so I guess they will have to get the app when they implement  “Presence.”

Yep, at stadiums that have deployed the technology, fraud dropped to zero. There is really no way around sharing tickets once this is deployed without hacking the system. The big advantage to the NFL will be they will know who every single person is in the stadium. If a ticket is transferred, they will know the name, demographics, and more about that person that received the transferred ticket and remove it from the senders ticket wallet.

They can also install smart-tone scanners around a venue. As you move around the stadium, your unique smart-tone will constantly be hitting the smart-tone scanners located around the stadium. If during your last 10 visits to BofA Stadium you tended to walk to certain areas, they could tailor a digital billboard advertisement to you as you walk by. Imagine the billboard changing to "2 Hot Dogs for $12" right when you walk by, because they know you tend to buy hot dogs. The stadium management could see exactly how many people are still seated, what the demographics are of the people seated during half-time, and change the advertising to try to get more people to get out of their seats to spend money. Perhaps 45% of the people seated still are women between 30 and 45. They could change the digital signage to promote stores that would get that cohort out of their seats to shop. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, mad_park said:

What if someone has an old phone w/o NFC?

I'm all for using technology to weed out fraud and make it easier to buy/sell tickets. But the15%-20% cut on each side of the transaction that they typically take is absurd.

guess I gotta teach my dad to use his smart phone now.

24 minutes ago, mad_park said:

I'm all for using technology to weed out fraud and make it easier to buy/sell tickets. But the15%-20% cut on each side of the transaction that they typically take is absurd.

Most teams have accommodated people without NFC by having them go to Will Call, match identification to the name on the ticket, and then be granted entry at a gate only for people with Will Call. The Minnesota Vikings advise arriving very early if you are in this situation as they have to match you. You can't turn around and sell that ticket you collected at Will Call because they don't let you turn around, you have to enter.  

Season ticket holders can get their tickets on an RFID card. However, all of your tickets are on that RFID card, so you won't be able to hand it to a stranger since they could disappear with all your tickets. I believe in theory you could hand your RFID card off to somebody you trust (just like you could give somebody the log in to your Ticketmaster account). However, people would usually only do this with very close friends and family. 

Edited by CLT2014

47 minutes ago, mad_park said:

There are ticketmaster booths that require ID and credit card used in purchase.

Stub hub gets around it by just having the seller transfer the tickets in the ticketmaster profile.