2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If a light rail extension gets built to this site, I'll eat my oldest and dirtiest shoe, no salt. This is all conjecture. I'm not saying the facility won't go in Fort Mill, it will, but I'm not buying this story yet.

It would only happen if York County and/or SC ponies up the funds to do it and pay for the service. It's not impossible, but I agree that it's highly unlikely to happen.

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they relocate the stadium to SC either. Maybe they’ll receive some type of incentives to built a useful, up to date stadium since BOAS only receives new flooring every 3 years. 

The whole representation of both NC and SC is beyond annoying, though. Pick a state. 

I wholeheartedly disagree, as does the entire state of South Carolina. But hey, I do like the sound of the "South Carolina Panthers" !!

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Isn't this proposal a mere shift from their current practice facilities in Spartanburg?  Not sure where the team's HQs are located at now.

Wofford's facilities are just used as a training camp in the summer.  The HQ operations has been at BofA Stadium since it opened... seems like moving to Ft Mill would be inconvenient for that purpose...

• Like 3

On 12/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, King of the Queen City said:

I agree that it brings revenue, but is it worth building a new stadium for just one game?  Technically we could bid for a Super Bowl with our current stadium if we really want it that bad.  If a new stadium is built outside of Uptown it would hurt the city more than it would help it.  The only reason we have not hosted more events is because Jerry Richardson didn’t want to.  I expect to see more concerts and other events hosted at our current stadium under new ownership.

You aren't building a dome for just one game. You are building it to go from the current ~12 ticketed events per year to something close to the 60 that Atlanta hosts in MBS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Dallas Cowboys practice facility is half way to Oklahoma from Dallas okay not that far but in the far far north Dallas suburb in Frisco.  The Panthers training facility now is much more out of date than our stadium is for most of the teams have built state of art training facilities.   When Mr Tepper bought the team he hinted very strongly this would happen.   No one is saying the Panthers are going to play games in SC.  As for light rail unless Mr Tepper funds the Tepper extension it wont ever happen.  SC does not have enough money to build roads much less light rail.  That is wishful thinking on the reporter from the Post and Courier.  

"SC does not have enough money to build roads much less light rail."

...but, but, but..."SC has lower taxes and is more business friendly"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MACyr said:

"SC does not have enough money to build roads much less light rail."

...but, but, but..."SC has lower taxes and is more business friendly"

Ok I was not bashing SC for crying out loud I own a condo there.   What I was saying is that SC has many more transportation priorities than such a line such as this unless York County can do it alone.   Charleston has talked about light rail as it is the most dense city in the state.  

We can debate taxes and cost of doing business elsewhere.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Would've been nice if they had considered moving this to either the Eastland Site or River District.   SC could stay involved in the team  by Tepper renewing their Summer Camp Practice Contract at Wofford College.

The facility will be too nice NOT to use it for summer camp as well. Other teams who have invested heavily in practice facilities have stopped traveling away to training camp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I understand - Just seems like SC always gets outsized benefits from being so close to CLT but never bears any of the costs of the Metro area. Like - Future Stadium Funding and/or Transit Funding.  I love SC but dang I wish we could have a more shared regional approach to things.  Would make Charlotte Metro much stronger.

So SC going to bat to get the Panthers in the first place wasn't enough? It seems like if all of this is true, York County and SC would have to find the funding for all of it. The question needs to be why does the City of Charlotte have to pay for those things?

I do not think that this facility will be a huge economic generator and more that the current practice fields are. I'd rather it be out in the middle of nowhere than in town taking up real estate that could be used for something more productive. The practice fields would make a nice park...

• Like 1

I know at least two panthers players (practice team) who live in an apartment in Uptown for the specific purpose of not owning a car and still being able to afford it at their salary (which is only paid out during the season). There's gonna have to be some kind of shuttle or something.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I know at least two panthers players (practice team) who live in an apartment in Uptown for the specific purpose of not owning a car and still being able to afford it at their salary (which is only paid out during the season). There's gonna have to be some kind of shuttle or something.

What are they paid ? Like 30K a season ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dale said:

What are they paid ? Like 30K a season ?

around 130k if they stay on for a full season, seems easy to live to me. They'd be including some player housing most likely in a new practice facility, not that anyone would want to live in Fort Mill on purpose.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

around 130k if they stay on for a full season, seems easy to live to me. They'd be including some player housing most likely in a new practice facility, not that anyone would want to live in Fort Mill on purpose.

I used to work for CPI and can attest that the players got plenty of perks beyond their salaries.

This is purely a move on Tepper's part for the incentives involved.  First, as a favor to help anchor the Lincoln Harris project at the former Knight's Stadium site.  I am sure the Harris' are giving nice kick-backs/monetary incentives to help build up their 'master plan' for that large site.  Second, have we heard anything on what tax breaks/incentives Fort Mill/SC are giving for this move across the border?  From a purely business perspective, this makes too much sense not to move.

Also, this is very similar to Denver's setup - stadium downtown Denver; their practice facilities are a major development in Englewood, CO some 17 miles from the stadium and consists of indoor practice field,  3 outdoor fields, conditioning center, team HQ, and administrative buildings all situated on 13.5 acres.

• Like 1

Well far be it from me to woe-is-me some well-off NFL players  :rolleyes:

And geez, can you imagine being a player that chose to live on-site at a Fort Mill facility? It's like living in a dormitory down the highway from, in a different state than, the college campus you attend.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

39 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

But in this case, "full season" means from OTAs in Spring to the last game in the winter, so ~9 months.  Many PS players are undrafted free agents or high round (4th - 7th) draft picks.  They usually get a signing bonus , and those have a wide range $0.00 to 7 figures.  I would venture that most are in the $80k range (unless you were a busted 4th round pick).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Wonder what the guys in Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, NE, etc all do with their practice facilities way out of downtown? Think those owner pay for shuttles?

• Like 1