I think NC knows that there will be a BIG ask for stadium money, so are smart to sit out the conversation, but if they're in it Eastland should be the site.

Domed stadiums are really overrated.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Dare I say domed for a Super Bowl and NCAA Final 4 or it is the sunshine at the beach affecting me.  The Pipe and foundry site.  a stadium for all! Soccer, NFL concerts and basketball games I can dream too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLT> said:

I think NC knows that there will be a BIG ask for stadium money, so are smart to sit out the conversation, but if they're in it Eastland should be the site.

Domed stadiums are really overrated.

The Georgia Dome was trash but the new Mercedes Dome is supposed to be really nice in the ATL.  NRG in Houston very nice just there in March.   But if you do build a new stadium and that is a big IF why wouldnt you put a cover on it of some kind even retractable or just plain covered?    We could have a big banner inside First in Flight and First in Astroturf! 

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

As long as it stays in region I'm happy too.  I have long heard interested in Stanly county. 

That's interesting that you mention that. Badin, NC is a small town in eastern Stanley on the shores of badin lake (obviously) and has a huge site that ALCOA used to own and operate an aluminum smelting facility which employed thousands in its heyday.

I've heard rumors that there are interested buyers looking into the plant recently and of course local governments have been aggressively trying to recruit someone to return to the site.

I'd be ecstatic if they moved to badin. The area could really use the win and that huge swath of land becoming available in uptown would be fantastic. Little Badin is basically just an isolated pocket of rust belt in the beautiful yadkin river valley right here in our backyards.

And this site would be perfect for them. There is a rail spur adjacent and the footprint of the site is way larger than their uptown location so they'd have room to grow. There are 4 hydroelectric dams nearby for power that they literally built for this plant. 

Do you have anymore information about this?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

That's interesting that you mention that. Badin, NC is a small town in eastern Stanley on the shores of badin lake (obviously) and has a huge site that ALCOA used to own and operate an aluminum smelting facility which employed thousands in its heyday.

I've heard rumors that there are interested buyers looking into the plant recently and of course local governments have been aggressively trying to recruit someone to return to the site.

I'd be ecstatic if they moved to badin. The area could really use the win and that huge swath of land becoming available in uptown would be fantastic. Little Badin is basically just an isolated pocket of rust belt in the beautiful yadkin river valley right here in our backyards.

And this site would be perfect for them. There is a rail spur adjacent and the footprint of the site is way larger than their uptown location so they'd have room to grow. There are 4 hydroelectric dams nearby for power that they literally built for this plant. 

Do you have anymore information about this?

I heard they had some land in Locust which is closer to Charlotte and Cabarrus County.  I do think  this plant will end up in NC somewhere and then they will sell their land and who knows what happens but such a large contiguous piece of land is very hard to find that close to uptown.   But the first step to any new stadium if it ever comes to that is a large piece  of land and one maybe coming available. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I heard they had some land in Locust which is closer to Charlotte and Cabarrus County.  I do think  this plant will end up in NC somewhere and then they will sell their land and who knows what happens but such a large contiguous piece of land is very hard to find that close to uptown.   But the first step to any new stadium if it ever comes to that is a large piece  of land and one maybe coming available. 

That certainly would make a lot more sense for them to move to locust. Badin isn't even really part of the Charlotte area because it's so far away and isolated.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I do usually don't  post the same story twice but I will for this one as it might affect any future Panthers stadium plans

Charlotte Pipe and Foundry is looking to move either to SC or another regional county in NC   This is the mother of all great stadium and redevelopment sites! this could be YUGE! 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/04/11/nc-legislators-are-working-on-154m-incentive.html?

Is their factory/parcel on the south side of 277 really feasible for a new stadium? Not sure the size of their land, but seems like it would be a tight fit.  

21 minutes ago, Urbs42 said:

Is their factory/parcel on the south side of 277 really feasible for a new stadium? Not sure the size of their land, but seems like it would be a tight fit.  

They own the section north of the 277 as well I believe.  Stadium on north side, parking /development on south side. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

I'm in the unpopular "keep the current stadium" camp. Instead of building a new stadium let's build a entertainment area similar to the ole cowboys, but right beside the current stadium. While a new parking deck is not smiled upon, let the Panthers build one, collect like other stadiums do, and surround it with bars and whatnot. Shift some of the parking to their own facilities. But if not I'll keep doing the Mint St. Stroll/ Tailgate. 

actually I am in that camp too. I would rather improve upon the current stadium.   In terms of this property of Pipe and Foundry they would probably move their training facility to the new site as well why have it in uptown Charlotte if their new plant is 25 miles away?    They made a shrewd investment when Beazer sold that land that was planned for 100s of townhomes back in 2007/2008 can't remember the exact date.  A wonderful entertainment district with mid and high rise apartments, offices retail etc could be developed there.  

There would have to be a great bit of soil remediation on the existing plant site but as they did in Atlanta with Atlantic Station built on a steel mill site this is doable as well. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

How about using the practice facility site for MLB? I know its not big enough as is, but just bulldoze the crappy multifamily on the other side of Cedar and use the Mint st bump-out curve technique to run Cedar around the new ballpark. The new ballpark would be next to Gateway station and close to the Silver line and will have OK pedestrian access to the core of uptown via the new MLK connector under the tracks. The city's contribution to the ballpark could be from building a massive parking deck in the gravel lot at 77 / Morehead and McNinch and allow the MLB team to collect game day revenue from it (other days it could be a park and ride for uptown connected by streetcar).

I dunno, turning the land into an entertainment district always seemed kinda weird to me.

You can’t compare city populations to other states. SC has had the most restrictive annexation laws on the country for over 100 years.....SC metro areas are large. If you talk about only city limits then Atlanta would be the second largest and probably third largest after Raleigh passed it. You really think Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta or Miami or DC???  

Edited by sonofaque86

1 hour ago, sonofaque86 said:

You can’t compare city populations to other states. SC has had the most restrictive annexation laws on the country for over 100 years.....SC metro areas are large. If you talk about only city limits then Atlanta would be the second largest and probably third largest after Raleigh passed it. You really think Charlotte is bigger than Atlanta or Miami or DC???  

The city technically is, but not the metro. Charlotte has however surpassed Tepper’s hometown of Pittsburgh’s metro recently.

Charlotte: 2,474,314 (859,035 city)

Pittsburgh: 2,362,453 (306,803 city)

Even if you don’t factor in cities at all, the state of North Carolina has twice the population of the state of South Carolina.

Nothing against South Carolina, but 2/3 of the Panthers’ fan base is in North Carolina. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1