44 minutes ago, csweet said:

Agreed, move HQ and practice to Fort Mill, renovate stadium in Uptown. With the space from the practice fields, a new high rise/ stadium district could possibly emerge. 

Keep keep it out of Fort Mill!

Build in Rock hill and let development fill in between the two cities over time.  

15 hours ago, kermit said:

NC can't really offer incentives for a business that is here already (that isn't offering to significantly expand its employment).

Thant would seriously open the floodgates.

Well, I mean, it is business retention. The most important thing is where the games are played and that is in North Carolina. We wouldn’t want the stadium to move south.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2019 at 3:42 PM, csweet said:

Agreed, move HQ and practice to Fort Mill, renovate stadium in Uptown. With the space from the practice fields, a new high rise/ stadium district could possibly emerge. 

Really is a win-win-win.  We've seen some nice stadium renovations (and there are already a lot of great things about the current one) would be worth it.  Not sure if a canopy makes sense as it would block the sweet views of buildings.

So they're looking at a tier two county (state designation of a county's wealth) in the area to move it to and the state is giving incentives to keep the foundry in NC.

The tier two counties surrounding CLT are Stanley, Gaston, and Rowan.

They'd have to relocate at least 400 employees to one of those counties with less than 63,000 population to get the incentives. So Stanley is the only option remaining unless they're completely leaving the Charlotte area. As @KJHburg mentioned before, they definitely seem to be eyeing Stanley county for relocation.

That site is 55 freaking acres right beside uptown!

Observer article:

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article229126339.html

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hedge Fund Titan David Tepper Is Planning to Return Investors’ Money 

Appaloosa LP will turn into a family office managing his personal wealth

By 
Juliet Chung
Updated May 23, 2019 9:13 a.m. ET

https://www.wsj.com/articles/david-tepper-is-planning-to-return-investors-money-11558616903?mod=mhp

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

As best as I can tell, this was produced as a purely speculative/marketing video, but it seemed neat anyway as a "what if" exercise. https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6532688948743979008

image.thumb.png.3e7445589ddd819b8919dc5144146d70.png

While there were some good ideas this site wouldn’t fit their program from what I can tell.  I didn’t see any seats inside the practice field.  Didn’t he want like 10,000?  The pipe foundry site on the other-hand...

Mr Tepper is going after the NFL Draft but dates are filling up according to this article.  Even if their training facility is in Rock Hill I am sure this will be in uptown Charlotte or we would not even get it.

From a subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/03/panthers-exec-on-nfl-draft-bid-slots-are-starting.html

""Last month, at the NFL owners’ meetings, Cleveland was picked for the 2021 draft while Kansas City landed the event in 2023. Las Vegas has the 2020 Draft. That leaves 2022, 2024 and 2025 as the Panthers’ soonest available drafts. ABC, ESPN and NFL Network provided prime-time coverage of the draft, generating combined viewership of 11.1 million viewers for the first round on April 25, according to sister publication SportsBusiness Daily. By comparison, the NBA All-Star Game hosted in Charlotte in February was watched by 6.8 million people on cable networks TBS and TNT.""

One thing I learned from the Nashville UP the NFL wanted the city to cut down some trees for a stage and I said they would not go here in a Tree City USA unless they are dead. 

• Like 3

Regarding the draft: there were rumors going around months ago that the Panthers were going after the 2022 draft...which is the one date they didn’t fill. My guess is they have some obligation to fill and this is theirs.  Like maybe buying a certain site next to a certain stadium that could certainly fit 100k people, huge stage, etc for a weekend? 

• Like 3

another plus for Charlotte and uptown for the NFL draft is that we would not ruin any bachelorette parties like they did in Nashvegas

https://www.cbs17.com/video/nfl-draft-ruining-bachelorette-parties-in-nashville_20190427084306/1958613609

another reason we should have it in Charlotte no angry brides and bridesmaids. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

This makes an excellent example of how far Charlotte has come in twenty-five years. In 1992 enough contiguous land was available for a football stadium and practice fields in the downtown area and within the inner circle of interstates at a cost of***1$****.  Nuisances were there, to be sure. Still, that opportunity was available in THIS city. Compare to the cost of the LU site today. Big Difference.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Fwiw, the Star is 24 miles and 35 mins from downtown Dallas.

Panthers new HQ is 24 miles and 32 mins from Uptown Charlotte.

Who cares how far they are from the center city?  If you weren't going to build something massive and upscale in Uptown, Southpark, or Ballantyne, would you rather build in Gastonia or Cornelius?  Rock Hill or Waxhaw? Alpharetta or Stockbridge?

If you've been to both places, and think you're going to be able to put something similar to Concrete Cowboy, Zaytinya, Tupelo Honey, Sushi Marquee,  and a full service, 4.5 star Omni Hotel in Rock Hill vs Frisco.....

All I'm saying is get ready for a Texas Roadhouse, a Brewery, and maybe a Dave and Busters type of thing.  

• Like 4