2 hours ago, rockhilljames said:

*the fact that I'm 30 min from downtown Charlotte and 20 min from the airport*

*Some exceptions may apply* Spot on about Rock Thrill except this. The Riverwalk is awesome though and you've got to float the Catawba in the summer

don't forget about the knowledge park area....newly renovated lowenstein building, the garage, sports arena.....more student housing, hotels, and independent senior living still to come

never thought much of rock hill as a kid, but i couldn't imagine being anywhere else

i'm not too keen on the whole tax incentive, but it's still pretty damn cool to get the practice facilities

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 5:13 PM, kickazzz2000 said:

Who cares how far they are from the center city?  If you weren't going to build something massive and upscale in Uptown, Southpark, or Ballantyne, would you rather build in Gastonia or Cornelius?  Rock Hill or Waxhaw? Alpharetta or Stockbridge?

If you've been to both places, and think you're going to be able to put something similar to Concrete Cowboy, Zaytinya, Tupelo Honey, Sushi Marquee,  and a full service, 4.5 star Omni Hotel in Rock Hill vs Frisco.....

All I'm saying is get ready for a Texas Roadhouse, a Brewery, and maybe a Dave and Busters type of thing.  

At least I've heard of those...just sayin...

On 6/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, rockhilljames said:

By the way, it always cracks me up that most people in Charlotte view Rock Hill as some hick town. I'm not directing this at anyone in Particular, but I keep running into that assumption. To be fair, it is not some cultural Mecca, but there are a lot of great things going on here. The fantastic Riverwalk development, a thriving downtown, a growing brewery scene, fantastic park system, and a lot more. Roll that into lower taxes and the fact that I'm 30 min from downtown Charlotte and 20 min from the airport and you can see why I like it so much.

visit-our-one-of-a-kind.jpg

450920526403933_mls_14.jpg

lacrosse_at_manchester_meadows_rock_hill

The%20Anderson-151-iloveimg-resized%20(1

tillman-hall-winthrop.jpg

The_Anderson-1591.jpg.994x549_q85_crop-c

bmxwebslider.jpg

I am only speaking for myself here and don't claim to have ever had a conversation about this with anyone else. I never had any negative feelings about Rock Hill until SC started trying to poach NC companies. Now, I view anything good that happens in Rock Hill as only a byproduct of its proximity to Charlotte. Basically....a leach on Charlotte. I'm sure that's an unfair view of the city because I'm sure something, somewhere in the city, at some time has happened that is positive and is wholly due to something Rock Hill has done to create it. However, the Panthers' Practice Facility is not one of those things. Tepper saw an opportunity to get money from SC and Rock Hill just happened to be close (to Charlotte). As for the other things listed above...I'd have to be convinced that if Rock Hill's location was say where Orangeburg is, those things would have still happened.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

My first thoughts: it looks very temporary, it looks used, hope it didnt cost too much...but most importantly, I'm glad we have one...long overdue. 

I agree. It seems more like an event tent for a wedding or something.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

If they can do a retractable dome that can host major national and international events year-round, that should be an easy sell, especially if it's largely paid for with a hotel tax and not a sales tax.

I wonder where they'd try to build it, there aren't many large empty spaces uptown anymore... tearing down the stadium and building on the same site would take too long.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

If they can do a retractable dome that can host major national and international events year-round, that should be an easy sell, especially if it's largely paid for with a hotel tax and not a sales tax.

I wonder where they'd try to build it, there aren't many large empty spaces uptown anymore... tearing down the stadium and building on the same site would take too long.

I know you just made your return a little bit ago but right before that the state approve incentives for Charlotte Pipe & Foundry to move off their acres fronting West Morehead St

https://www.thesnaponline.com/2019/05/09/new-bill-could-bring-jobs-to-stanly/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I know you just made your return a little bit ago but right before that the state approve incentives for Charlotte Pipe & Foundry to move off their acres fronting West Morehead St

https://www.thesnaponline.com/2019/05/09/new-bill-could-bring-jobs-to-stanly/

Well, there you go. Interesting that it would mean the stadium would be outside the loop... might be the first step in getting people past the psychological barrier of 277 closing off uptown.

8 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Well, there you go. Interesting that it would mean the stadium would be outside the loop... might be the first step in getting people past the psychological barrier of 277 closing off uptown.

still inside the loop. 

Just now, Madison Parkitect said:

Not here?

image.thumb.png.fc9eb6716f127bf5fe0e5e22c8378f0a.png

Can't fit a stadium there, but you can fit one directly across the highway from there, which is 85% Pipe & Foundry land as well.

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can't fit a stadium there, but you can fit one directly across the highway from there, which is 85% Pipe & Foundry land as well.

Oh, okay. So like the triangle between 77 / 277 / Morehead? I was looking at the map this morning and thought that would be the perfect place for it.

Just now, Madison Parkitect said:

Oh, okay. So like the triangle between 77 / 277 / Morehead? I was looking at the map this morning and thought that would be the perfect place for it.

Yep. You'd likely have to give Clarkson the Mint Street treatment and curve it though.