1 minute ago, 49er said:

They could play at a college stadium somewhere for 2-3 years while BOA is torn down and rebuilt. If he puts a substantial amount of $ towards it I'm not entirely opposed. 

I'd build on CP&F, and then fix the grid where BofA Stadium is, connect it better with the single family/duplex residential part of 3rd ward, and then put a big entertainment district where the old stadium was.

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd build on CP&F, and then fix the grid where BofA Stadium is, connect it better with the single family/duplex residential part of 3rd ward, and then put a big entertainment district where the old stadium was.

Yep, this is most likely. Entertainment districts around stadiums are all the rage right now for a lot of reasons.

5 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

The business journal article is locked so I'll just ask for reassurance, there's like zero chance this is gonna go elsewhere than Uptown? Or is this all speculation?

my info is not speculation :-). 

Doesn't mean its a done deal, anything can happen. 

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

my info is not speculation :-). 

Doesn't mean its a done deal, anything can happen. 

Well if the city doesn't want to cough up the funds, whats the chance he'd foot the bill himself? He's worth $11 billion with more cash flowing into the pot every day, while the prospect of a new stadium excites me, "welfare for the rich" does not. Spend the money Dave, it's worthless when you're dead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, sonofaque86 said:

Death Valley in Clemson or Williams Brice in Columbia would be the largest and closest football stadiums to play at (if they rebuild). They actually fit more people than the current BOA stadium.

I personally would rather see them do this, and then make the area on the other side of the tracks an entertainment district. That would bring more people out of Uptown throughout the year rather than the alternative IMO. I know he intends to use the stadium for other events, but if it's over there then it's gonna be a dead area between concerts and games. Build the new stadium where the current one is, but make a more welcoming path around the facility, and possibly a tunnel or other pass-through on the track side. With the gateway district and the eventual redevelopment of the practice fields, this could become a sort of natural flowing pathway to the current foundry area. There's already some businesses and restaurants over there.  

28 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Well if the city doesn't want to cough up the funds, whats the chance he'd foot the bill himself? He's worth $11 billion with more cash flowing into the pot every day, while the prospect of a new stadium excites me, "welfare for the rich" does not. Spend the money Dave, it's worthless when you're dead. 

I think the deal is dead in Charlotte without city and state funding. 

I'd imagine this is a $1.6B project. 

$800M from Tepp, $500M from city, $300M from state.

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think the deal is dead in Charlotte without city and state funding. 

I'd imagine this is a $1.6B project. 

$800M from Tepp, $500M from city, $300M from state.

I have nothing against public funding to relocate utilities, spur business development, etc. But if they're gonna put any money into the stadium I would demand significant freedom for the city to hold events inside. I know they already get that with the current stadium, but I'm talking many more. I know at the end of the day this is a business transaction, but city governments are notorious for not thinking like a businessman and getting shafted in the process. The "economic benefit" of sports is debatable, and there's lots of stuff that can be found with a quick Google search to back up that statement, but I do agree there's a social benefit, so I'm not gonna chain myself to the of BofA Stadium if and when this all gets put on paper, however I will warn those in charge that the popularity of NFL and other major sports is waning, and they should certainly consider a "pastime" approach like baseball, where the game is only a part of the experience. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

If the city, county and state are participants in this venture we should become partners in the enterprise. Not occasional dates, but financial partners. A new paradigm for this financial center.

I was thinking this myself today.  Could be an innovative solution with a little creativity.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Not here?

image.thumb.png.fc9eb6716f127bf5fe0e5e22c8378f0a.png

I'm all for building the new stadium in the 277 / 77 / Morehead St triangle shown above.  What's the status of Charlotte Pipe & Foundry moving out? That area would be a really neat entertainment district.

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can't fit a stadium there, but you can fit one directly across the highway from there, which is 85% Pipe & Foundry land as well.

Sure it can, if you build over the railroad tracks like they did in Atlanta. Summit and Clarkson can be shifted. That I-77/277 interchange is also going to get reconfigured as part of the I-77 south project, and I would expect a project like this could have the kind of influence needed to accommodate its space needs. This is without a doubt the best option for a new stadium - it means they can keep playing in the current one so they don't have to relocate to Columbia or Clemson for 2-3 years, it means an industrial wasteland can get repurposed, and it means the current stadium site can be converted back to the regular street grid and sold off for more apartments like everything else on Stonewall which can in turn to fund both the infrastructure costs and some contribution towards the stadium itself if they want. How is this not a slam dunk (pun intended)?

1 hour ago, King of the Queen City said:

Looks to me like the Pipe & Foundry site would have great access to the future silver line. Cedar would be the Stadium Station.

F5232C12-DFB7-4E64-BCDD-5B319060079F.thumb.jpeg.af9e11b73ff6b6f0dae9c3de2d80671f.jpeg

The stop is on Morehead, and the site we're talking about is a bit south of there. You could still walk to it from there and have space for a "village" for anyone who wants to live right next to an NFL stadium.

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

The stop is on Morehead, and the site we're talking about is a bit south of there. You could still walk to it from there and have space for a "village" for anyone who wants to live right next to an NFL stadium.

The Morehead station will be west of I-77 and would not make sense for the Stadium.  The part of the Pipe & Foundry site being discussed is east of I-77, inside of 277. The Cedar station would be near the intersection of Cedar and Morehead streets, inbetween the current stadium site and the potential future stadium site.

3A86318B-A9BA-46EA-9C63-CDAFE23C2CAB.jpeg.fd1a4fa121c1baca7f07541c7074107a.jpeg

2F02943E-C922-4B7E-9597-AB1522C8767A.thumb.jpeg.5fcc756c0c7a71bfef5e38e89e59576b.jpeg

10B9C11A-5533-420C-9A7F-B74144EB36DB.thumb.jpeg.ebcbf39183167596eee06f63b15b8190.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

The Morehead station will be west of I-77 and would not make sense for the Stadium.  The part of the Pipe & Foundry site being discussed is east of I-77, inside of 277. The Cedar station would be near the intersection of Cedar and Morehead streets, inbetween the current stadium site and the potential future stadium site.

3A86318B-A9BA-46EA-9C63-CDAFE23C2CAB.jpeg.fd1a4fa121c1baca7f07541c7074107a.jpeg

1) I'm suggesting that I-277 can be moved to create more space to the south. NFL stadiums are largely a waste of space, so moving it out of uptown proper would be a good thing if the numbers make sense. Given all of the proposed projects that will affect this area, there is no reason to not think outside of the box until there are real numbers and cost estimates to work with. Please note that I am not suggesting that the Panthers should move away from the city. Just put the stadium in a place that is less obtrusive.

2) The final station location hasn't be set, just the approximate area and general alignment. That's why the circle is so large and the line is so wide. All of it can change just like all of the other things I've mentioned.

As an outsider non-resident I ask this question......Is there real need to replace the stadium? Seems like it's not that old. Is the owner threatening to leave if the City/County don't help with construction costs? Why doesn't he borrow the money and pay it back (like everyone else) or just pay for it in cash?

Edited by carolinaboy
More questions
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

As an outsider non-resident I ask this question......Is there real need to replace the stadium? Seems like it's not that old. Is the owner threatening to leave if the City/County don't help with construction costs? Why doesn't he borrow the money and pay it back (like everyone else) or just pay for it in cash?

(like everyone else)

Like everyone else who builds a stadium anywhere in the country he's looking to get city/state investment on a building that will benefit the city's tax rolls. 

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

(like everyone else)

Like everyone else who builds a stadium anywhere in the country he's looking to get city/state investment on a building that will benefit the city's tax rolls. 

My question is, if the Panthers are truly a regional team, then where does SC show some skin the in the game to help pay for a new stadium? Should there be a special regional hotel/tourism tax to help pay for it instead of everything being on the north side of the border? I assuming that would require some form of cooperative taxing body representing both states, but it's a question worth asking. (Please excuse if someone else has already asked)

Edited by Zeitgeist_4131
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

(like everyone else)

He is trying to get investment from the city/state just like other owners do, I'll give him that. However, stadiums do not generate significant revenues for the cities they occupy and cities end up subsidizing multi-billion dollar franchises. 

• Thanks 1