It doesn't make much sense to move the stadium when there are possible improvements that could be made to make it suitable. It's such a new stadium, even if it's economically viable in the long run, it just seems excessive to build a brand new one. The stadium location is really cool being in uptown and it's become an iconic part of uptown.

And as far as the whole Carolina Panthers vs Charlotte Panthers thing, they'll never change it from Carolina unless something drastic happens. South Carolinians view the Panthers as their team just as much as a North Carolinian or Charlottean so it would be dumb from a market perspective to limit it much more by calling them the "Charlotte Panthers" instead.

• Like 2

We're one of only a few regionally named teams so I don't find it to be that much of a stretch. Hell, this was 'Skins territory before the Panthers. That never stopped people from here from backing a team for a city that was over a state away. 

My point from earlier being that if we, the people of Charlotte, are going to be putting up the most money for this team then we should get something out of it. Why not a name? Now, do I think this will happen? No. But it's not dumb or limiting for a team to be named after a city and a region still cheer for the team. Just my 2 cents. Cheers

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
Adjusted wording

No reason to build the team and owners an entirely new stadium since new stadiums bring zero benefit to an area. If the team is so valuable then I'm sure they will find the money to finance the construction of a new stadium.

Or let them move to a new city. I hear St. Louis has a thriving business community that can support an NFL team... 

Or let them move to the suburbs and let some adjacent county pick up the tab. Ask PG County how the stadium there contributes to the local tax base. Or ask Cobb County next year how baseball is improving the quality of life for those who work and live nearby.

55 minutes ago, dcharlotte said:

No reason to build the team and owners an entirely new stadium since new stadiums bring zero benefit to an area. If the team is so valuable then I'm sure they will find the money to finance the construction of a new stadium.

Or let them move to a new city. I hear St. Louis has a thriving business community that can support an NFL team... 

Or let them move to the suburbs and let some adjacent county pick up the tab. Ask PG County how the stadium there contributes to the local tax base. Or ask Cobb County next year how baseball is improving the quality of life for those who work and live nearby.

You are correct that the team doesn't need a new stadium now, but at some point they will.  The more forward thinking the city and state are now, the easier it will be to get a deal done in the future (which I think is really the point of this thread).  

I think you may be overlooking the unique atmosphere the stadium creates uptown and the sense of pride that people have in the stadium being part of booming Uptown area. I live near Uptown and run near the stadium often.  All the time I see people (presumably out-of-towners) taking pictures of the stadium, statues, and skyline looking back from the stadium.  Having the stadium Uptown adds to the community's identity.  The tailgating scene is getting bigger and bigger each year, and it is a much more unique atmosphere tailgating around the Uptown parks and city streets then it would be in a bunch of over-sized parking lots in the suburbs.

The knights game-day experience Uptown is a perfect example of how people enjoy this.  Nobody cared about the Knights when they were in Fort Mill and now they lead the league in attendance.  More than attendance alone, it is just a great experience watching a game in the Uptown atmosphere, such as seeing fireworks reflecting off of all the growing buildings after a Knights game.  All these studies and reports neglect to consider that having pro teams such as the Panthers creates an environment and sense of community that people want to be part of.

I moved to Charlotte specifically because I wanted to live in a city with pro sports teams, and I don't think I am alone in appreciating the sense of community that it creates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

We're one of the only regionally named teams

I'm not sure what "one of the only" means, but there are 6 non-city teams in the NFL (Arizona, New England, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Minnesota), plus NYG and NYJ both of which have HQ and play in New Jersey, and Washington which nitpicking probably isn't a "city" and they have HQ in Virginia and play in Maryland.

I don't really have a point.....just that 6 might be more than people realize.

4 minutes ago, grodney said:

I'm not sure what "one of the only" means, but there are 6 non-city teams in the NFL (Arizona, New England, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Minnesota), plus NYG and NYJ both of which have HQ and play in New Jersey, and Washington which nitpicking probably isn't a "city" and they have HQ in Virginia and play in Maryland.

I don't really have a point.....just that 6 might be more than people realize.

Do the Jets and Giants really play out of the same stadium? I don't think I've ever known that

3 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Do the Jets and Giants really play out of the same stadium? I don't think I've ever known that

For a long time.  Even before the new stadium MetLife was built recently, the Jets and Giants both played at Giants Stadium.   

15 hours ago, Nick2 said:

It doesn't make much sense to move the stadium when there are possible improvements that could be made to make it suitable. It's such a new stadium, even if it's economically viable in the long run, it just seems excessive to build a brand new one. The stadium location is really cool being in uptown and it's become an iconic part of uptown.

And as far as the whole Carolina Panthers vs Charlotte Panthers thing, they'll never change it from Carolina unless something drastic happens. South Carolinians view the Panthers as their team just as much as a North Carolinian or Charlottean so it would be dumb from a market perspective to limit it much more by calling them the "Charlotte Panthers" instead.

Carolina Panthers makes great sense with the reach the Panthers have across the region.  On the other hand, the Carolina Hurricanes has to be the dumbest name ever.  It's not like anybody outside of Raleigh cares at all, and even they don't really care.  

2 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

Carolina Panthers makes great sense with the reach the Panthers have across the region.  On the other hand, the Carolina Hurricanes has to be the dumbest name ever.  It's not like anybody outside of Raleigh cares at all, and even they don't really care.  

Nobody cares about the Canes cause they built PNC Arena in the wrong place.  The Canes financed the majority of the arena with their own funds and in order to obtain state financing, built it next to NC State's football stadium so Wolfpack basketball team would have a new home.  But unfortunately it sits in the middle of a parking lot with little to no businesses within walking distance.  

They could have probably obtained state financing anyway if they had agreed to build it downtown as a revitalization project.     

There is nothing worse than a coliseum sitting in the middle of a parking lot.  If local governments want to finance new arenas with tax dollars, at least build them downtown where foot traffic can generate some sort of $$$ for local business!!!

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Nobody cares about the Canes cause they built PNC Arena in the wrong place.  The Canes financed the majority of the arena with their own funds and in order to obtain state financing, built it next to NC State's football stadium so Wolfpack basketball team would have a new home.  But unfortunately it sits in the middle of a parking lot with little to no businesses withing walking distance.  

They could have probably obtained state financing anyway if they had agreed to build it downtown as a revitalization project.     

There is nothing worse than a coliseum sitting in the middle of a parking lot.  If local governments want to new ones with tax dollars, at least build them where foot traffic can generate some sort of $$$ for local business!!!

Probably, and downtown is really no farther away from the campus than PNC is. Might even be closer.

19 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

bunch of development nerds talking sports.  haha.  this thread would garner a big chuckle on some sports boards.

Hey now, I could hold my own on Basketball and Football on those boards. Hockey... nope.

9 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Correct.

@SgtCampsalot You edited the quote. Cobb county Braves' stadium hasn't opened yet. So they wouldn't be able to see the results yet. 

This is NOT a comparable issue. 

As a city of Atlanta resident, I would gladly spend $400mil towards a baseball stadium. However this stadium had much more politically swirling than just building or giving money to a new stadium. The Falcons AND Hawks announced a new stadium financed by the city weeks or months before. Atlanta also proposed co developing thousands of lots around turner field with the Braves. 

1st thing: The Braves weren't leaving the city, so putting $400 towards a stadium didn't help keep a team in town. Building a stadium in CLT would help assure the team doesn't move, which is EXTREMELY important from a city image perspective at the very least.

2nd thing: The Battery is a multi Billion dollar development surrounding the new stadium in a formerly derelict suburban strip mall. Long term Cobb will be able recoup major tax revenues from these properties in addition to a major Comcast office building and millions of sq. ft. of office space in the Cumberland Mall/ Vinings/ Windy Hill area. A new stadium in Charlotte in an underutilized part of town (Graham st. possibly) could be worth $200mil in hotel/motel tax, spent by visitors (same deal the Falcons received with the state).

3rd point: Tim Lee wasn't elected bc he tried to pull wool over the eyes of the electorate. I believe Cobb would have passed the stadium in a referendum, but who knows.

Don't edit quotes to try to get your point across and reply with a single word response.

10 hours ago, dcharlotte said:

A little more back on topic, Nevada just unanimously committed "recommended" $750MM in public monies in an attempt to lure an NFL team, namely the Raiders.  We can wax poetic about the pros and cons of subsidizing an NFL stadium, but at the end of the day, I can't find in my research any example of a regional economy collapsing because of such support.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17555854/committee-recommends-750-million-public-money-las-vegas-stadium-raiders

Edited by alb1no panther

12 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

We're one of the only regionally named teams so I don't find it to be that much of a stretch. Hell, this was 'Skins territory before the Panthers. That never stopped people from here from backing a team for a city that was over a state away. 

I believe there are 4 others: Arizona Cardinals,  Minnesota Vikings,  New England Patriots,  Tennessee Titans.

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Hey now, I could hold my own on Basketball and Football on those boards. Hockey... nope.

Hockey is the best game.  Skate fast, punch people, body check the crap out of people.  If you have hidden aggression, hockey is your friend.  Embrace the game.  Love the game.  Trust the ice.  Feel the edge of your skate on the ice.  RIP Gordie Howe.

This post has been brought to you by your resident Canadian poster.

• Like 4