I think a wage tax for players who play in the stadium to raise $ is an ingenious idea. Philly takes a wage tax for all people who are paid off working in the city, Bryce Harper pays about 12m over the life of the contract to the city. NFL contracts usually pay taxes per game, so it wouldn't just hit the panthers players, but every player who plays in the stadium. I'm sure you could recoup a few hundred mil over the course of a 30 year stadium.

City of Philly takes in about $2m a month from sports contracts. If Charlotte passed a sports contract wage tax, it could contribute about $1.2m/month with an MLS team or 432m over 30 years at current wages (which will def go up).

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Arena was a great investment. 260m from the city and county for a NBA team, All Star game, 2 ACC tournaments (and more on the way), 4 NCAA tournaments, 7+ CIAA tournaments, RNC, DNC and hundreds of additional concerts. Hell yes.

Yes but I was was referring to the bundling of projects mention in  a previous post which was attempt by the city in 2001 for a new arena, Knights ballpark, and a variety of arts/cultural projects which failed and led to the original Hornets leaving town.

2 hours ago, eastsider said:

Yes but I was was referring to the bundling of projects mention in  a previous post which was attempt by the city in 2001 for a new arena, Knights ballpark, and a variety of arts/cultural projects which failed and led to the original Hornets leaving town.

The Rays did this with Tampa. Wooed them with fancy renderings then when they were forced to explain their statistics and financing, they couldn't pony up.  

It's easy to spend other people's money! 

18 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

You can poo poo that original package all you want, the Knights park and Arena were home runs and slam dunks. 

I don't have kids so spending money for others people's kids in school spending and education doesn't directly impact me, but I know its best for the place I live and for society in general. Same can be said for these projects even if you never step foot in the stadiums or care about sports at all. 

It is every Charlotte citizen's civic duty to give their hard earned money to a billionaire in blind trust. Got it! Those kids, veterans, or homeless sure don't need it!

• Confused 2

It is every Charlotte citizen's civic duty to give their hard earned money to a billionaire in blind trust. Got it! Those kids, veterans, or homeless sure don't need it!

I mean if they are renting cars and staying in our hotels, or using whatever creative taxation they come up with. None would take away from funding for these groups. That would be politically unsavory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean if they are renting cars and staying in our hotels, or using whatever creative taxation they come up with. None would take away from funding for these groups. That would be politically unsavory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be onto something. I just hope they don't have garbage like the Rays did and back up their stats and repay back the money they borrow. 

Unfortunately a referendum to bond out future hotel tax for a new stadium is going to reduce the probability of the public passing a transit tax bond issue a year or two later. The source of the revenue is going to get overlooked for a significant proportion of voters.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I knew once Tepper decided to move the HQ to SC he would use this to get the city and public to fund a stadium. You watch...if the city and state does not cough up the money...he will threaten to go to SC...WATCH. I want more light rail...screw the Panthers

I just don't see that happening. I really think moving the stadium outside of the city would be an extremely stupid move on his part and ostracize a lot of the younger fan base that either walks or takes the light rail to games.

• Like 1

Tepper without an MLS team, 50/50 he gets the public money for a new retractable roof stadium in uptown. Tepper with the Panthers plus an MLS franchise, 99.999999% chance he gets the public money.  Question is how much. It would be insane to have it anywhere but uptown. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I knew once Tepper decided to move the HQ to SC he would use this to get the city and public to fund a stadium. You watch...if the city and state does not cough up the money...he will threaten to go to SC...WATCH. I want more light rail...screw the Panthers

It's easy to spend other people's money! This will fail like the Ray's extortion attempt.

I think it's clear the city was already aware this day was approaching even before Tepper purchased the team.  Even as they were agreeing to give Richardson money for his upgrades, there were conversations about needs in the future to replace the BOA Stadium.  One of the reasons the city didn't want to fund a portion of the Marcus Smith's MLS stadium pitch is because they wanted to save future tax revenue for an NFL stadium.  The issue isn't WILL the city/county/state contribute,  but HOW MUCH will they contribute.  I don't think it will go to referendum either. They learned that lesson when the Hornets left.  Tepper has backed himself into a 'Charlotte or bust' corner with his comments about making Charlotte the Epicenter of Entertainment in the Carolina's.  He can't make those kind of statements, and then move the team elsewhere within the region.  

On a related note, has anyone else noticed while most of the articles refer to a New Retractable Roof stadium, I've seen a couple that simply references the additional of a retractable roof to the stadium.  I went back to look, but couldn't find the articles, but I know I read that.  Could just be the wording of the particular writer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think part of the article hits the nail on the head on justification of using public money to help fund sports stadiums under the idea of "economic development". Investments such as the new facility in Minnesota are used to help bring economic expansion to an otherwise underdeveloped part of the city. By helping to pay for a new stadium they've created new destination zones that wouldn't otherwise be developed. This is not the case in Charlotte, where the space around the stadium (including the Pipe & Foundry land once it sells) would absolutely get developed on its own without the need for the city to help spark new investment. I don't think the additional tourism dollars brought in by the Panthers/MLS/other events can justify the amount of money the city is going to end up paying for stadium renovations like the other stadium expansions can be by justifying the additional business growth, but that is my opinion. 

Someone posted this on facebook in reference to this....

Terry L Kemp II 

I stopped at, "... with taxpayers assistance to help with the cost." Dude is worth $12B. It never fails. When the wealthy is in need they can draw from taxes to get what they want. When the poor needs something along the lines of affordable housing they have to take a back seat.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I'm honestly confused when people jump to the net worth of the recipient as the validating factor.  Is $12B too rich? Is Marcus Smith more deserving of $400mm incentives than Tepper than because he's worth only $1B.  Is Joe Shmoe who is worth only $150k but thinks it would be cool to own a team/stadium, and will grind out a  way to find the extra $3B even more deserving?

If the argument is binary (are public sports subsidies a good use of public dollars?) then that is a fair and debatable issue, but implying there is a sliding scale of "deserving" seems crazy. 

Fwiw, I'd rather give Tepper the money exactly because he has so much money already, because he can leverage it to so much more, than giving it to the person who is desperately trying to scrape together enough money to hopefully do the bare minimum.

I really like this statement. It brings me back to the book "Animal Farm". What a great book!

• Haha 1

Lol, no one is going to SC for a Panthers game. The chance of the stadium leaving Charlotte is on par with Raleigh beating us to MLS, non existent. 

I’m all for a new stadium as I think the current stadium is extremely outdated compared to the new NFL/MLS stadiums built in recent years. Charlotte is long overdue for a Super Bowl, and major artists are skipping Charlotte or NC overall because the Spectrum Center does not have a large enough capacity for their tours. That, factored into the impending retail, residential, and office development that are included in this new stadium plan, is more than enough to warrant a new stadium. 

• Like 1