CBJ has a very good write up on where the city’s portion of new stadium money will probably come from:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/17/here-are-the-most-likely-ways-charlotte-could-help.html

The TLDR is:

• not property or sales taxes
  • Most of the cash will probably come from doubling the prepared foods tax (from 1 to 2%)
  • but the legislature and restaurant  lobby is going to fight
  • Some TIF revenue from entertainment district is also expected
Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

That's the most nonsense rendering I've seen in a while. It's not anything. It's just "an idea of some buildings."

I’ve been calling it S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters In conversation. Such a silly rendering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, kermit said:

CBJ has a very good write up on where the city’s portion of new stadium money will probably come from:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/17/here-are-the-most-likely-ways-charlotte-could-help.html

The TLDR is:

• not property or sales taxes
  • Most of the cash will probably come from doubling the prepared foods tax (from 1 to 2%)
  • but the legislature and restaurant  lobby is going to fight
  • Some TIF revenue from entertainment district is also expected

Would like to read it, but I'm not a subscriber.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Since this involves the "Bank" I will put it here. Mr Tepper is asking for the city's help in renovating the stadium for MLS.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/24/inside-plans-for-this-south-charlotte-center-s-9m.html

ding ding ding right on cue.  After decades of not allowing concerts, coincidentally throw one and ask for $200M tax-payer dollars.  Billionaire seeking welfare, again!  Disgusting! Build light-rail, rather than fund this. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nuthinberger said:

Do both.  Give Tepper much less than he's asking for but enough to get the team here and have crowds in uptown 20 more nights a year.  

Yea, give him a dollar. That's as much as this deserves. He can make it work, he just wants to extort the city out of more money.  Glad im not living there. Work and then my  hard earned money goes to a billionaire. What messed up system is that. 

Keep this in mind when you go vote in 2020 :) 

Edited by mpretori

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

Yea, give him a dollar. That's as much as this deserves. He can make it work, he just wants to extort the city out of more money.  Glad im not living there. Work and then my  hard earned money goes to a billionaire. What messed up system is that. 

Your money isn’t going to him, it’s going to a new stadium. If you expect a billionaire of any stature to fund a (likely) $1 billion+ stadium on top of a $200 million+ price tag for the team alone then you’re delusional. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mpretori said:

I do live here and my hard earned money won't go to the stadium.  Now if you come visit our fine city, YOU will be helping pay for the stadium via the hotel and car rental tax.   :tw_glasses:

Also:  Not sure if it was reported here but the land for the Panthers training facility in Rock Hill is under contract as of a few weeks ago.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article235020207.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Hotel/motel/rental car taxes to a facility like this can be a no brainer if its done properly. BB&T Park and the Hornets arena are huge assets, who have provided Charlotte with much more benefit than their initial price tags. We wouldn't be where we are today with that arena, and even the ballpark.  

This is a great point. We would have seen just a tiny fraction of our uptown development without the arena. Non DNC, no RNC, very little national visibility, lots fewer hotels uptown.

Its also worth remembering that 57% of voters said they didn't want to pay for an uptown arena in the 2001 non-binding referendum.

17 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Your money isn’t going to him, it’s going to a new stadium. If you expect a billionaire of any stature to fund a (likely) $1 billion+ stadium on top of a $200 million+ price tag for the team alone then you’re delusional. 

Just like Jerry Richardson "Donated" UNCC 10 million dollars after he received welfare from Charlotte? Someone give me money to donate! 

10 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I do live here and my hard earned money won't go to the stadium.  Now if you come visit our fine city, YOU will be helping pay for the stadium via the hotel and car rental tax.   :tw_glasses:

Also:  Not sure if it was reported here but the land for the Panthers training facility in Rock Hill is under contract as of a few weeks ago.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article235020207.html

Forgot to see that funding source in the article, care to point that out?

Edited by mpretori
  • Confused 1

To be fair, calling David Tepper a billionaire is insulting.  He is a billionaire 12 times over.  To add a little perspective to the conversation, Tepper's net worth is $12b.  The average American's net worth is $97,000.   So, David Tepper spending $212m for an MLS stadium is the equivalent of the average american spending about $1,718.97 - which is roughly what I just spent for my wife and I to go on a very average vacation.

All that being said, we all know how this is going to end.  The money will win, and we will either get a subsidized stadium or no stadium at all.

Personally, its whatever.  I like soccer, and think that an MLS team would do wonders for the city, especially the area right around the stadium.   Just grin and bear it, folks.

• Like 3

I don’t worry about the owner’s wealth.  Cities across the country are willing to pay for stadiums and arenas, if we want to play in that league, there is an entry fee.  Not saying I love it, but it is reality.  I would also gladly pay incentives for an auto plant even though I don’t like it.  

The one issue I have is spending $200mm on this stadium and then building a new stadium in 10 years.  I would rather focus on BofA and see that renovated if we are putting money into the current stadium.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

My favorite example of how to keep a million and a billion in perspective is using seconds.

A million seconds is 12 days. 

A billion seconds is 31 years.

And a trillion seconds is almost 32,000 years. It's really hard to understand the scale once you get above a million.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CTiger said:

To be fair, calling David Tepper a billionaire is insulting.  He is a billionaire 12 times over.  To add a little perspective to the conversation, Tepper's net worth is $12b.  The average American's net worth is $97,000.   So, David Tepper spending $212m for an MLS stadium is the equivalent of the average american spending about $1,718.97 - which is roughly what I just spent for my wife and I to go on a very average vacation.

All that being said, we all know how this is going to end.  The money will win, and we will either get a subsidized stadium or no stadium at all.

Personally, its whatever.  I like soccer, and think that an MLS team would do wonders for the city, especially the area right around the stadium.   Just grin and bear it, folks.

This kind of defeated attitude is what's the problem.  I would not want my kids paying for other peoples luxuries.  Why should the city hold a gun to my head and force me to pay for it? The homeless and veterans deserve it a ton more. 

3 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

I don’t worry about the owner’s wealth.  Cities across the country are willing to pay for stadiums and arenas, if we want to play in that league, there is an entry fee.  Not saying I love it, but it is reality.  I would also gladly pay incentives for an auto plant even though I don’t like it.  

The one issue I have is spending $200mm on this stadium and then building a new stadium in 10 years.  I would rather focus on BofA and see that renovated if we are putting money into the current stadium.

We just did that. Why again? You can make a gofundme account for Tepper! 

• Like 2