2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

It is below the weather threshold, not enough hotels, and a 22 year old stadium.  Not. Happening.

1.  Are you sure?

2.  True
3.  True
4.  True (and I'm fine with that)

David Newton is not a credible source.   He is a flat out terrible "journalist". 

5.  True!

27 minutes ago, JBS said:

1.  Are you sure?

2.  True
3.  True
4.  True (and I'm fine with that)

5.  True!

On #1 - What I have read before is must be in climate 50+.  I assume that means at game time.  In the evening, it would be rare to be 50.  I read something many moons ago that we were a few degrees out of the range that they would typically consider for a SB.

And I am totally fine with keeping the current stadium.  We don't need a billion dollar dome (unless the owner want to pay the vast majority of the cost).  Upgrade away. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

On #1 - What I have read before is must be in climate 50+.  I assume that means at game time.  In the evening, it would be rare to be 50.  I read something many moons ago that we were a few degrees out of the range that they would typically consider for a SB.

And I am totally fine with keeping the current stadium.  We don't need a billion dollar dome (unless the owner want to pay the vast majority of the cost).  Upgrade away. 

Its an average high of 50 degrees. I believe we are at 55 for the game. Remember tho, NY has hosted a Super Bowl outdoors. That threshold is irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Its an average high of 50 degrees. I believe we are at 55 for the game. Remember tho, NY has hosted a Super Bowl outdoors. That threshold is irrelevant.

In the past 40 years, there has been one super bowl where the temp was below 50 for an outside stadium at kickoff...NYC (49 degrees).  NYC also hosted the Super Bowl in a brand new 1.6 billion dollar stadium.  Apples to Oranges.   Also...the forecast for this Sunday, 43 and rain.  If that were to happen  on a SB Sunday, it would be a freaking disaster. 

• Like 1

In the past 40 years, there has been one super bowl where the temp was below 50 for an outside stadium at kickoff...NYC (49 degrees).  NYC also hosted the Super Bowl in a brand new 1.6 billion dollar stadium.  Apples to Oranges.   Also...the forecast for this Sunday, 43 and rain.  If that were to happen  on a SB Sunday, it would be a freaking disaster. 

No it wouldn't. The temperature in NY doesnt matter at time of kickoff. The climate was known when it was selected. Minnesota is going to be -5 outside when the game ends and fans leave the stadium. The NFL wants to put the super bowl wherever they get a new stadium climate and hotel room be damned. Jax had a Superbowl and we have substantially more hotel rooms than they do, they brought cruise ships to cover the requirement.  

I'd bet my life that Charlotte won't get a SB in the current stadium.  No way.  I think it's possible but unlikely they could get ONE if they built a new stadium that isn't domed and built a lot of new hotel rooms.  I think they would definitely get one (but probably only one) if they built a new domed stadium and add the hotels.  Having been through 3 in SD, it's not worth it IMO.  Current stadium is fine for 15-20 years.  Football better outside...

Thought I posted previously...my apologies if it is elsewhere:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article197641589.html#storylink=mainstage

For the record, Charlotte meets the weather criteria by a few degrees, so whoever said it doesn’t is wrong.

Regardless of Jacksonville, as it currently stands, lack of hotels are the biggest issue. Goodell himself spoke on this in 2017. Too lazy to search for the article, but it’s out there. 

Charlotte is adding a substantial amount of Hotel Rooms yearly. If a new stadium was built, I'm sure even more hotels would be built. Therefore, Yes, Lack of Hotel rooms is a large setback for now, But soon it will be easier to handle. Charlotte is a growing tourism and business travel market, So I think amount of Hotel rooms won't be an issue in 5+ years.

9 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Charlotte is adding a substantial amount of Hotel Rooms yearly. If a new stadium was built, I'm sure even more hotels would be built. Therefore, Yes, Lack of Hotel rooms is a large setback for now, But soon it will be easier to handle. Charlotte is a growing tourism and business travel market, So I think amount of Hotel rooms won't be an issue in 5+ years.

That is my belief also. I'm saying a new stadium WOULD get a Super Bowl. I never said current stadium would receive one. A new stadium would easily be 1.6B. So oranges to oranges...

14 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

No it wouldn't. The temperature in NY doesnt matter at time of kickoff. The climate was known when it was selected. Minnesota is going to be -5 outside when the game ends and fans leave the stadium. The NFL wants to put the super bowl wherever they get a new stadium climate and hotel room be damned. Jax had a Superbowl and we have substantially more hotel rooms than they do, they brought cruise ships to cover the requirement.  

The Super Bowl in New York (New Jersey) took four rounds of voting, 10 years of lobbying and a special exception to the rule that "if the historical average daily temperature over a 10-year period in the host city on the week of the game is below 50 degrees" if a climate-controlled domed stadium does not exist.  

Unlike other Super Bowls, the 'New York' bid did not get 75%  of the votes and passed with just a simple majority.  Many teams objected.  Still, New York (New Jersey) got the exception for many reasons.  It had a massive amount of sponsorship support because of the proximity to NYC and a massive media base.  It also had 2 NFL teams from both conferences involved in the lobbying process.  The two owners from both conferences both worked their relationships and still barely got over 50% of the votes.  

All of which Charlotte would never be able to match.  The temp outside has nothing to do with the weather rule.  It has everything to so with the playing conditions.  

It would be awesome if the new NFL ownership found in their hearts for a waiver but it's also important to consider that 28% of the owners have turned over since the vote awarding the Super Bowl to NY happened.  Many remain in the same family but it is a different room and the owner making the pitch for Carolina would be the newest person at the table.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

The Super Bowl in New York (New Jersey) took four rounds of voting, 10 years of lobbying and a special exception to the rule that "if the historical average daily temperature over a 10-year period in the host city on the week of the game is below 50 degrees" if a climate-controlled domed stadium does not exist.  

Unlike other Super Bowls, the 'New York' bid did not get 75%  of the votes and passed with just a simple majority.  Many teams objected.  Still, New York (New Jersey) got the exception for many reasons.  It had a massive amount of sponsorship support because of the proximity to NYC and a massive media base.  It also had 2 NFL teams from both conferences involved in the lobbying process.  The two owners from both conferences both worked their relationships and still barely got over 50% of the votes.  

All of which Charlotte would never be able to match.  The temp outside has nothing to do with the weather rule.  It has everything to so with the playing conditions.  

It would be awesome if the new NFL ownership found in their hearts for a waiver but it's also important to consider that 28% of the owners have turned over since the vote awarding the Super Bowl to NY happened.  Many remain in the same family but it is a different room and the owner making the pitch for Carolina would be the newest person at the table.  

The NFL can get anything done. All of these exemptions get thrown out of the window during stadium negotiation. If they can get a new stadium in Charlotte, the owners will find a majority. That is all that is required. New owners are probably even more understanding that the cost of getting a new stadium is granting a super bowl. At this point its nearly unthinkable for a new stadium NOT to get a Super Bowl. Every new stadium since 2006 will have hosted after Minnesota this year and Atlanta next year. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

The NFL can get anything done. All of these exemptions get thrown out of the window during stadium negotiation. If they can get a new stadium in Charlotte, the owners will find a majority. That is all that is required. New owners are probably even more understanding that the cost of getting a new stadium is granting a super bowl. At this point its nearly unthinkable for a new stadium NOT to get a Super Bowl. 

It's unthinkable for a new climate controlled stadium to not get at least 1 Super Bowl.   Open air...not so much.

31 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Every new stadium since 2006 will have hosted after Minnesota this year and Atlanta next year. 

Every new stadium that didn't have a dome (6) from 2000 to 2006 didn't get one.  Many in cities that are much bigger on every level than Charlotte.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

It's unthinkable for a new climate controlled stadium to not get at least 1 Super Bowl.   Open air...not so much.

Every new stadium that didn't have a dome (6) from 2000 to 2006 didn't get one.  Many in cities that are much bigger on every level than Charlotte.  

Valid, but I also think with better turf tech since 2006, there will be a majority of new stadiums built that are indoor. Charlotte's new one, included if it were built. I think the new ownership group will build goodwill in the current stadium, maybe win a super bowl (fingers crossed) before pursuing a new stadium. Arthur Blank, in my opinion a great owner, intended to build a new stadium going back to when he purchased the team. He owned the team for 7 years  then proposed a new stadium, then it took 7 years from concept to execution. I would think a new stadium here would be about that far ahead, which is an eternity in Charlotte's growth pace. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Arthur Blank, in my opinion a great owner

You lost me here...he might be a great owner (I have no idea) but I'll never get over him mock-dabbing during our lone 2015 loss.  I don't like owners on the sidelines looking for attention.  But my hate for the Falcons and Saints is totally irrational... 

13 minutes ago, JBS said:

You lost me here...he might be a great owner (I have no idea) but I'll never get over him mock-dabbing during our lone 2015 loss.  I don't like owners on the sidelines looking for attention.  But my hate for the Falcons and Saints is totally irrational... 

Oh well, He's been summarily humbled since. Most embarrassing loss in history, then petered out again this season.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JBS said:

Disagree. It’s completely rational. Eff em.

• Like 4

What's the possibility of adding one of those lightweight membrane dome shaped skins over the current stadium? I mean, it's been done with success elsewhere. And I think something like that would work well here. We rarely ever have heavy snows to add weight to it. Our main problem is the rain and temps.

The real problem with that is climate control. Sure you can cap the top. But enclosing the exterior would be MUCH more invasive. One of the (IMO) shining achievements of BoA’s design is the ability for air to flow through the stadium, rather than down and out. There are other stadiums that do this well too, but none quiet as fluidly in a full bowl design.

Sure, I may have a bias against domed football stadiums as the only two I’ve been to were the Superdome and the Georgia Dome—those were both disgusting sweatboxes
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Durhamite said:

Just build the dome already.  I say anywhere off of the wastelands of the Independence Ave corridor near uptown....plan for enough parking and eventual form of mass transit.  And yes, I hate the Saints and Falcons as well.

With a streetcar line this isnt the worst thing on the planet. Much better than carowinds, although I hope it can be in DT or at worst case North End/near the train station.