Tepper might be the biggest winner (loser?) of the meck property reval circus.  The stadium (just the building, not the land) went from $135M to $572M in value.  That's up 324% or if you want a bigger number that's 424% of its current value.  

I don't know if the panthers organization has to pay the property taxes on this or if they have some sort of agreement with the city/county, but that is a big number and might factor in to new stadium development plans.

image.png.a22a2d3e605e922181e29513b851cb74.png

This was reported by Bizjournals and had quite the uproar on reddit's MLS subreddit. If you signed up for the email list, it appeared as though the RSVP was attached to the Panthers domain. 

This is a potentially HUGE development that A)the Panthers are looking to renovate BofA (much more structurally significant that the previous upgrades) and B) MLS is an extreme and potentially imminent decision by Tepper. 

What do you guys think? Any fire with the smoke @ricky_davis_fan_21

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Are there ground floor team offices that could be converted to soccer specific locker rooms, meeting rooms, training rooms, media space, etc? With a new training facility and team HQ that could free up space for soccer specific renovations.

I imagine when the new practice facility is built, this will open a tremendous amount of space in the stadium.  Weight rooms, meeting rooms, cafeterias, training rooms, offices, etc will all be relocated and/or scaled down.  I would also assume the MLS team would also use the practice facility (possibly even have a new MLS specific stadium on site).   I would LOVE to see Tepper's vision for all of this.  He has big plans and knows you need to spend money to make money.

• Like 1

The Panthers need a new stadium, much less the Panthers and a future MLS team both playing in the current venue. Continuing to apply the same temporary bandage every few years is not solving the long term issue. The design is outdated and definitely not suited for two major league teams, nor is the surrounding area.

Edited by TheOneRJ

20 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

The Panthers need a new stadium, much less the Panthers and a future MLS team both playing in the current venue. Continuing to apply the same temporary bandage every few years is not solving the long term issue. The design is outdated and definitely not suited for two major league teams, nor is the surrounding area.

When you say need a new stadium what do you mean.... start from scratch with a hole in the ground OR legitimate renovations?

I agree the upgrades completed over the last 4/5 years are more of  keeping the facility relevant and acceptable and without that investment it would not be worthy... bumpouts for the escalators, larger video boards, suite refresh, paint and technology.  How quickly adds up to 100+ million.

I dont think they need to start from scratch anywhere with a 'new' stadium.  I think they can use what they have as a starting point, but close for 2 seasons while legitimate and structural renovations and additions are completed

31 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

When you say need a new stadium what do you mean.... start from scratch with a hole in the ground OR legitimate renovations?

I agree the upgrades completed over the last 4/5 years are more of  keeping the facility relevant and acceptable and without that investment it would not be worthy... bumpouts for the escalators, larger video boards, suite refresh, paint and technology.  How quickly adds up to 100+ million.

I dont think they need to start from scratch anywhere with a 'new' stadium.  I think they can use what they have as a starting point, but close for 2 seasons while legitimate and structural renovations and additions are completed

I think the current stadium design is outdated and keeps Charlotte stagnant in terms of competitiveness for major league expansion and Super Bowl qualification. I also think the area surrounding the stadium needs to be improved, especially if a second team is considering playing there, to offer more entertainment/retail. 

Maybe not an entire rebuild, but a new facade and a retractable roof is what the stadium actually needs, not new flooring in the suites. 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if there's any validity here - But the rumor I've heard is that Tepper will build a new NFL stadium somewhere along the silver line, between the airport and uptown. And that MLS will play at the current stadium site - in a remodeled Bank of America stadium with the upper deck removed. If you look along the Wilkinson corridor, there's definitely room for a stadium in several spots, but I don't think moving the panthers out of uptown is the correct move. So hopefully this is just a rumor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

I think the current stadium design is outdated and keeps Charlotte stagnant in terms of competitiveness for major league expansion and Super Bowl qualification. I also think the area surrounding the stadium needs to be improved, especially if a second team is considering playing there, to offer more entertainment/retail. 

Maybe not an entire rebuild, but a new facade and a retractable roof is what the stadium actually needs, not new flooring in the suites. 

Obviously, you've never walked around barefoot in the suites in early December or you'd know that heated floors in the suites are Paramount to the success of the franchise. 

• Haha 1

This is awesome news.  MLS would be incredible for Charlotte and Tepper hiring a former City exec means it would probably be done well.  

A while ago I stumbled upon someone coming up with concept ideas for a potential MLS team.  This person has way better design ability than me and I, for one, would be all in for this Racing Carolina concept:

https://soccernsweettea.com/racing-carolina-a-mls4clt-concept-by-brandon-robinson-1bb061d40b50

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

There are not enough Super Bowls, Final Fours, and College Football Championships to go around to warrant going all in on a new stadium just for those events. Before this year Atlanta had not hosted the Super Bowl in 19 years. I personally think the current BofA stadium is just fine for the Panthers for another 10 years. On the other hand if you throw a MLS team in the mix and sharing a stadium with the Panthers I believe that would warrant building a brand new state of the art stadium just like Atlanta and Minnesota did and the possibility of having a Super Bowl, Final Four, or College Football Playoff would all be extras. Also hopefully Tepper can get more events into the stadium over the next few years. 10 Panthers games, 3 college football games, and a max of 2 soccer games just is not enough for a stadium.

It seems from the MLS side that he will get a team. Not sure yet if he is team 28, 29, 30, 31 or 32. St. Louis has long been the favorite for the 28th team, but Charlotte is surging to the front of the favorites list.

2 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It seems from the MLS side that he will get a team. Not sure yet if he is team 28, 29, 30, 31 or 32. St. Louis has long been the favorite for the 28th team, but Charlotte is surging to the front of the favorites list.

agreed. I always thought Charlotte was Number 1, but Bruton put together a weak proposal with no city support. 

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

agreed. I always thought Charlotte was Number 1, but Bruton put together a weak proposal with no city support. 

This might work out splendidly.  I don't think that even the biggest proponents of MLS in CLT were super excited about a Smith backed MLS team.  Tepper, on the other hand, could build something exciting, and with staying power.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, J-Rob said:

I don't think that even the biggest proponents of MLS in CLT were super excited about a Smith backed MLS team.  Tepper, on the other hand, could build something exciting, and with staying power.

Agreed! But I still think you will see Tepper drive the bid (public facing) and the Smith family will still have a good stake in the venture and behind the scenes work.

I’d like to see a new stadium in the other side of the rail road tracks in uptown. I think it could really kick off a lot more development on the gateway side of uptown.  That part of uptown has a lot of assets. Educational, civic (rays splash planet, etc), dog park, Frazier, older single family homes, jobs, Elmwood. 

It’d be great to have more development enough to make it more of a destination. It would make the gold (and silver) line that much more relevant. You’d have a reason to take mass transit to other parts of uptown (who takes the blue line currently to get around uptown?)