1 hour ago, King of the Queen City said:

I agree with almost everything you said, though in my experience screenshots do work because I have sent them to friends who do not have the Ticketmaster app and they got in the game with no problem. You just have to make sure your screen is bright.

The most up to date machines are being transitioned to require the ticket opened in the app. Ticketmaster was running a beta version in Atlanta for the MLS Cup and I believe it was used for the Super(dud)Bowl.

It requires a moving icon on the ticket screen when its opened. The ticket scanning devices recognize the app being on. I think they will also continue with a PSL holders badge that can be used for every game for those that dont want to have to deal with an app.

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Except I trust the street scalpers more than I trust TicketMaster

It will get to the point that teams can probably run their own ticket software. Ticketmaster wont be around forever.

53 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

It will get to the point that teams can probably run their own ticket software. Ticketmaster wont be around forever.

Ticketmaster is updating their business model to move from issuing tickets to focus on analytics and customer engagement. The whole business model for them around the Presence system is being able to sell data analytics packages and software that are user friendly to sports management. They want to be the "Salesforce" of live sports so to speak. Imagine dashboards in the managements offices, and the Ticketmaster system is providing a live feed on who is sitting during half time, which customers are in line for beer, push notifications on road closures, up-sell customers from their seat with concessions based on their purchase patterns, etc...

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Same market applies. This time you just keep refreshing the app instead of walking around dealing with sketchy street scalpers.

The City of Charlotte isn't taking a 30% cut for transacting the deal on their sidewalks. Ticketmaster and Stubhub take that for using their ticket exchange. I would argue that changes the market. If I'm looking to sell my tickets for 'face' then I need to mark them up in order to break even.

I found a Practice Bubble!  Here is the Houston Texans practice bubble next to the NRG Stadium.   Today.  It looked a lot bigger than I imagined but who knows everything is truly bigger out here.  Sorry night shot I went out of that stadium on the wrong ramp but I did find one.   Mr Tepper wants one of these this big I have no idea. Their practice fields outside are to the right. 

IMG_0787.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

@KJHburg Did they ever do anything with the Astrodome?

Its currently under renovation. They are removing asbestos then they will spend $105m on a renovation after the rodeo this month.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Astrodome-redevelopment-should-begin-after-13260820.php

• Like 2

8 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

@KJHburg Did they ever do anything with the Astrodome?

8 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Its currently under renovation. They are removing asbestos then they will spend $105m on a renovation after the rodeo this month.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Astrodome-redevelopment-should-begin-after-13260820.php

they will do parking on field level then more exhibition space above it.   Here is a photo I took yesterday and it is still standing.  It was a long battle to get it saved by they did it.  

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

• Like 4

Fun story about Astrodome and Astroturf. The dome was built with translucent panels/blocks, and I assume it is what is still visible in the photos. When the stadium opened it had natural grass but the sunlight was insufficient to maintain growth of the grass. No strain available would meet the standards for light and playing surface so an artificial surface was necessary. It was installed for the second season of the Astro baseball team and was brand-named "Chemgrass". The fame of the AstroDome led to a name change to AstroTurf for the surface material.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King of the Queen City said:

I am glad the Astrodome is being preserved. Both it and the original Charlotte Coliseum (now Bojangles Coliseum) have held the title of largest dome in the world. The Coliseum held the title from 1955-57 and the Astrodome held the title from 1965-75.

List of largest domes

Thanks for that! I had no clue 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

I am glad the Astrodome is being preserved. Both it and the original Charlotte Coliseum (now Bojangles Coliseum) have held the title of largest dome in the world. The Coliseum held the title from 1955-57 and the Astrodome held the title from 1965-75.

List of largest domes

And bojangles was the largest concrete in the world until Louisiana Superdome in 1975.

• Like 1

Isn't that the old Carolina Panthers logo?  Also, I am one to think that building a new team headquarters and practice facility will be a good thing, but does anyone else feel like building a bubble over the existing practice field is a waste of $1M if they aren't going to use it for more than a year?  I guess Tepper spending $1M is equivalent to me spending $10 bucks or something ridiculous (warning, that wasn't actual math for anyone reading literally), but still seems like a waste of $1M.

14 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Isn't that the old Carolina Panthers logo?  Also, I am one to think that building a new team headquarters and practice facility will be a good thing, but does anyone else feel like building a bubble over the existing practice field is a waste of $1M if they aren't going to use it for more than a year?  I guess Tepper spending $1M is equivalent to me spending $10 bucks or something ridiculous (warning, that wasn't actual math for anyone reading literally), but still seems like a waste of $1M.

When you consider that $1m is the salary of a mid tier player, $1m for an additional 8+ practices (instead of walk throughs in the convention center) is probably more than worth the cost.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

When you consider that $1m is the salary of a mid tier player, $1m for an additional 8+ practices (instead of walk throughs in the convention center) is probably more than worth the cost.

I would bet they will use it way more than 8 times a year, even if it is only a 60yd bubble.   Five road games next year will be in a dome and I would bet those weekly practices will also be in the bubble (along with bad weather days). 

Edited by InSouthPark

20 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I would bet they will use it way more than 8 times a year, even if it is only a 60yd bubble.   Five road games next year will be in a dome and I would bet those weekly practices will also be in the bubble (along with bad weather days). 

Yeah I think so too. Just was counting the number of times they practiced (roughly) at the convention center.

I wonder if the bubble could be moved and donated to UNC Charlotte once the permanent practice facility is complete? Then again, there might still be a use for it there for events like the Belk Bowl.  I also noticed the old logo. Maybe the bubble is a plan that the Panthers have considered for years and it took Tepper coming in to actually make it happen? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

I wonder if the bubble could be moved and donated to UNC Charlotte once the permanent practice facility is complete? Then again, there might still be a use for it there for events like the Belk Bowl.  I also noticed the old logo. Maybe the bubble is a plan that the Panthers have considered for years and it took Tepper coming in to actually make it happen? 

Reading into it to much. Either a staffer attached an old logo, or the old logo is the default in Accela from years ago. 

8 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Reading into it to much. Either a staffer attached an old logo, or the old logo is the default in Accela from years ago. 

Maybe so, but I’m sure it must have crossed their minds at some point in the past even if they didn’t draw anything up. 2018 wasn’t the first season that they’ve had inclement weather interfere with football practice.

David Newton:

South Carolina governor Henry McMaster, in a press conference after meeting with Panthers’ owner David Tepper in Columbia, sounds optimistic the necessary state laws will be adjusted to build the team’s new headquarters in York or Lancaster County, S.C. “It is a reality,’’ McMaster said. He added that the Panthers would invest $150 million in building the facility over a four-year period. There will be 150 employees and an annual estimated payroll of $190 million a year. The state-of-the-art facility would be surrounded by hotels, restaurants and other ancillary facilities. “We’re very hopeful this will come about,’’ McMaster said.

• Like 2