Jump to content

Recommended Posts


CBJ has a very good write up on where the city’s portion of new stadium money will probably come from:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/17/here-are-the-most-likely-ways-charlotte-could-help.html

The TLDR is:

  • not property or sales taxes
  • Most of the cash will probably come from doubling the prepared foods tax (from 1 to 2%)
  • but the legislature and restaurant  lobby is going to fight
  • Some TIF revenue from entertainment district is also expected
Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's the most nonsense rendering I've seen in a while. It's not anything. It's just "an idea of some buildings."

I’ve been calling it S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters In conversation. Such a silly rendering.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kermit said:

CBJ has a very good write up on where the city’s portion of new stadium money will probably come from:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/17/here-are-the-most-likely-ways-charlotte-could-help.html

The TLDR is:

  • not property or sales taxes
  • Most of the cash will probably come from doubling the prepared foods tax (from 1 to 2%)
  • but the legislature and restaurant  lobby is going to fight
  • Some TIF revenue from entertainment district is also expected

Would like to read it, but I'm not a subscriber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Since this involves the "Bank" I will put it here. Mr Tepper is asking for the city's help in renovating the stadium for MLS.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/09/24/inside-plans-for-this-south-charlotte-center-s-9m.html

ding ding ding right on cue.  After decades of not allowing concerts, coincidentally throw one and ask for $200M tax-payer dollars.  Billionaire seeking welfare, again!  Disgusting! Build light-rail, rather than fund this. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nuthinberger said:

Do both.  Give Tepper much less than he's asking for but enough to get the team here and have crowds in uptown 20 more nights a year.  

Yea, give him a dollar. That's as much as this deserves. He can make it work, he just wants to extort the city out of more money.  Glad im not living there. Work and then my  hard earned money goes to a billionaire. What messed up system is that. 

Keep this in mind when you go vote in 2020 :) 

Edited by mpretori

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpretori said:

Yea, give him a dollar. That's as much as this deserves. He can make it work, he just wants to extort the city out of more money.  Glad im not living there. Work and then my  hard earned money goes to a billionaire. What messed up system is that. 

Keep this in mind when you go vote in 2020 :) 

Your money isn’t going to him, it’s going to a new stadium. If you expect a billionaire of any stature to fund a (likely) $1 billion+ stadium on top of a $200 million+ price tag for the team alone then you’re delusional. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mpretori said:

Yea, give him a dollar. That's as much as this deserves. He can make it work, he just wants to extort the city out of more money.  Glad im not living there. Work and then my  hard earned money goes to a billionaire. What messed up system is that. 

Keep this in mind when you go vote in 2020 :) 

I do live here and my hard earned money won't go to the stadium.  Now if you come visit our fine city, YOU will be helping pay for the stadium via the hotel and car rental tax.   :tw_glasses:

Also:  Not sure if it was reported here but the land for the Panthers training facility in Rock Hill is under contract as of a few weeks ago.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article235020207.html

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Hotel/motel/rental car taxes to a facility like this can be a no brainer if its done properly. BB&T Park and the Hornets arena are huge assets, who have provided Charlotte with much more benefit than their initial price tags. We wouldn't be where we are today with that arena, and even the ballpark.  

This is a great point. We would have seen just a tiny fraction of our uptown development without the arena. Non DNC, no RNC, very little national visibility, lots fewer hotels uptown.

Its also worth remembering that 57% of voters said they didn't want to pay for an uptown arena in the 2001 non-binding referendum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Your money isn’t going to him, it’s going to a new stadium. If you expect a billionaire of any stature to fund a (likely) $1 billion+ stadium on top of a $200 million+ price tag for the team alone then you’re delusional. 

Just like Jerry Richardson "Donated" UNCC 10 million dollars after he received welfare from Charlotte? Someone give me money to donate! 

10 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I do live here and my hard earned money won't go to the stadium.  Now if you come visit our fine city, YOU will be helping pay for the stadium via the hotel and car rental tax.   :tw_glasses:

Also:  Not sure if it was reported here but the land for the Panthers training facility in Rock Hill is under contract as of a few weeks ago.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article235020207.html

 

Forgot to see that funding source in the article, care to point that out?

Edited by mpretori
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, calling David Tepper a billionaire is insulting.  He is a billionaire 12 times over.  To add a little perspective to the conversation, Tepper's net worth is $12b.  The average American's net worth is $97,000.   So, David Tepper spending $212m for an MLS stadium is the equivalent of the average american spending about $1,718.97 - which is roughly what I just spent for my wife and I to go on a very average vacation.

All that being said, we all know how this is going to end.  The money will win, and we will either get a subsidized stadium or no stadium at all.

Personally, its whatever.  I like soccer, and think that an MLS team would do wonders for the city, especially the area right around the stadium.   Just grin and bear it, folks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t worry about the owner’s wealth.  Cities across the country are willing to pay for stadiums and arenas, if we want to play in that league, there is an entry fee.  Not saying I love it, but it is reality.  I would also gladly pay incentives for an auto plant even though I don’t like it.  

The one issue I have is spending $200mm on this stadium and then building a new stadium in 10 years.  I would rather focus on BofA and see that renovated if we are putting money into the current stadium.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

My favorite example of how to keep a million and a billion in perspective is using seconds.

A million seconds is 12 days. 

A billion seconds is 31 years.

 

And a trillion seconds is almost 32,000 years. It's really hard to understand the scale once you get above a million.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CTiger said:

To be fair, calling David Tepper a billionaire is insulting.  He is a billionaire 12 times over.  To add a little perspective to the conversation, Tepper's net worth is $12b.  The average American's net worth is $97,000.   So, David Tepper spending $212m for an MLS stadium is the equivalent of the average american spending about $1,718.97 - which is roughly what I just spent for my wife and I to go on a very average vacation.

All that being said, we all know how this is going to end.  The money will win, and we will either get a subsidized stadium or no stadium at all.

Personally, its whatever.  I like soccer, and think that an MLS team would do wonders for the city, especially the area right around the stadium.   Just grin and bear it, folks.

This kind of defeated attitude is what's the problem.  I would not want my kids paying for other peoples luxuries.  Why should the city hold a gun to my head and force me to pay for it? The homeless and veterans deserve it a ton more. 

 

3 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

I don’t worry about the owner’s wealth.  Cities across the country are willing to pay for stadiums and arenas, if we want to play in that league, there is an entry fee.  Not saying I love it, but it is reality.  I would also gladly pay incentives for an auto plant even though I don’t like it.  

The one issue I have is spending $200mm on this stadium and then building a new stadium in 10 years.  I would rather focus on BofA and see that renovated if we are putting money into the current stadium.

We just did that. Why again? You can make a gofundme account for Tepper! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By roads-scholar
      U-P once had a thread on this topic.  The last reply was in 2007. 
      Drove by yesterday and took a look at this park.  Very impressive.  Kudos to Spartanburg and Cherokee Counties (the park straddles the county line) for teaming up on this one.  The big Dollar Tree distribution center dominates the park.  There's plenty of land for expansion but I worry about access to I-85. 
    • By Spartan
      There is some exiting news about some bike and ped improvement projects that might actually get built! Council decided to fund $2.3 million worth of projects around downtown that are detailed in the HJ article here. These projects are funded in part by the Broad Street TIF District and will will likely be implemented over the next 2-3 years. A pattern I've noticed is that they are partnering up with a lot of stormwater/drainage repairs as part of many of these projects. Kudos to the City for finding creative ways to combine standard repairs to make them better projects for everyone.
       
      The summary is as follows:
       
      North Church Street Streescape: This project will make the walk from the Marriott to Morgan Square much better. I'm not sure where they will find the room for these improvements without moving the curb into the street.
      -Cost: $546,654 -Add pedestrian-scale lighting (like you see on main street) -Add street trees -Add street furniture (benches, trashcans, planters)  
      Mary Black Rail Trail Extension: Connects the Rail Trail to the heart of downtown and to the Palmetto Trail to the north.
      -Cost $582,460 -Add pedestrian refuge island and crosswalks to Henry St Converse Street Cycle Track: Creates physically separated bike lanes behind on-street parking along the entire length of Converse Street. This might be the first cycle track in South Carolina, and among the first in the South
      Cost: $147,033 Main Street Improvements: Remove the curves on Main Street
      -Cost: $391,786 -Remove chicanes -Replace street trees -Install new lighting Wall Street "Festival Street" : The concept of a 'festival street' is used in many other places, notably another Wall Street in nearby Asheville. Here's a streetview so you can get a sense of the concept... just on a larger scale.
      -Cost $210,375 -add pavers the full length of Wall Street  
      Magnolia Street Sidewalk Improvements: Install new trees in tree wells by removing a few parking spaces
      Cost $158,929  
      Daniel Morgan Ave Road Diet: We've known this one has been in the works for a while. I'm glad it's finally being funded.
       
      -Cost: $190,417 -remove 2 travel lanes -Add Parking -Add bike lanes  
      St John Street Pedestrian Signal: This one would install a pedestrian-activated (HAWK) signal on St John St at Liberty Street. I'm not sure how this one will work, because the HAWK signal concept is intended for mid-block locations usully several hundred feet away from any intersection. But if they can figure out how to do it then it will be a great asset for that area.
      Cost: $75,000
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.