12 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So the 200 Million ask is for further BofA renovations and some type of Soccer HQ w Training facilities?  

Dang - I thought that amount would provide for either some type of retractable roof or at least some partial Cantilever Covering for the seating areas at BofA.  I honestly think his request is high but that the City/County should support it.  I think the overall benefit to the city over time (Like the Spectrum Center & BBT Ballpark) outweighs the initial costs.

Now only if I could go back in time and convince the city to go all in on the Light rail System back in the day when the first 9 miles of Blue-line was built for a lot less than 1 Billion.  Imagine if we had visionary’s then when everything was less expensive.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Dang - I thought that amount would provide for either some type of retractable roof or at least some partial Cantilever Covering for the seating areas at BofA.  I honestly think his request is high but that the City/County should support it.  I think the overall benefit to the city over time (Like the Spectrum Center & BBT Ballpark) outweighs the initial costs.

Now only if I could go back in time and convince the city to go all in on the Light rail System back in the day when the first 9 miles of Blue-line was built for a lot less than 1 Billion.  Imagine if we had visionary’s then when everything was less expensive.

I agree with you, the city should support this....just not sure where all the $200mm will be spent.

i would love to see BofA remodeled with a roof.  I love the stadium’s location, but it does need some work and a roof.  Engineering wise, I am not sure how it would work, but I am sure it has been done before.  If they do remodel BofA, with soccer, football and Tepper’s focus on being a regular on the concert list, BofA could finally be utilized more than a few days per year.  That would make the Duke building’s redevelopment along with S Mint another development node in downtown. 

I mean the city could help dictate that.  I don't think thats an unreasonable expectation, there was a plan for a Barcelona soccer academy there at one point. 

Still is the plan, I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Still is the plan, I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that would be an added benefit for both Barca and CLTMLS. I don't think they have an MLS partnership at this point. FC Dallas and Bayern Munich have a growing relationship for example and Man City owns a portion of NYCFC. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, dnlleffingwell said:

The Panthers and the new MLS will go to SC . You will see. SC will make it happen. So sad for NC and Charlotte. There will be regrets. Only time will tell. I hope that I am wrong. 

You are dead wrong. Firstly, MLS DOES NOT DO SUBURBS. Secondly, South Carolina does not have enough buying power for ticket sales or sponsorship. Rock Hill isn't Foxborough. 

I will literally eat a shoe if I'm wrong.

Edited by Guest

I agree the waterford golf course site is not even contiguous with their proposed practice site as it is on the other side of 77 along the Catawba River.  Not sure what you could build there in that location maybe practice soccer fields but it is so removed from major highways.   At least the practice field complex will be along 77 and supposedly have it is own exit so that is highly visible site.  

• Like 1

I can't envision exactly how close the golf course is, but when I read they purchased a golf course I just interpreted it as an entertainment play.  Tepper has made clear he thinks bigger than just football operations.  Imagine if they fix up the golf course and directly rebrand it with Panthers logos and insignia.  The panthers could have their very own club house, and as families travel in for training camp, etc. they could make an entire event/weekend of it and go golfing at the panthers very own golf course.  Think about the pro shop full of Panthers gear.  If they are considering every avenue possible for expanding the brand, this might be one avenue to do so.

Or maybe they will just redevelop as everyone else said.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, dnlleffingwell said:

The Panthers and the new MLS will go to SC . You will see. SC will make it happen. So sad for NC and Charlotte. There will be regrets. Only time will tell. I hope that I am wrong. 

There is a less than 0% chance the Panthers move to Rock Hill, come on. It'll never happen. NFL and MLS teams haven't been putting stadiums in suburbs in decades, and the ones that are out there now are mostly trying to move back to the nearby large city.

As for the golf course, it seems like the team is just buying it with plans to keep it and create a LARGE multi-use community development (including team HQ, golf, hospital, hotels, probably shopping and apartments, etc.) they can profit off of. It's honestly probably pretty smart business.

3 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I can't envision exactly how close the golf course is, but when I read they purchased a golf course I just interpreted it as an entertainment play.  Tepper has made clear he thinks bigger than just football operations.  Imagine if they fix up the golf course and directly rebrand it with Panthers logos and insignia.  The panthers could have their very own club house, and as families travel in for training camp, etc. they could make an entire event/weekend of it and go golfing at the panthers very own golf course.  Think about the pro shop full of Panthers gear.  If they are considering every avenue possible for expanding the brand, this might be one avenue to do so.

Exactly this.

4 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

He lives in Miami, where his hedge fund is located. Fun fact: he's so rich that when he left New Jersey, there was a warning that the state's budget could be at risk because all his income tax money was leaving. He was the state's highest taxpayer at the time.

I understand his company is based there but I don't see how you run a NFL team without living in that city for a  large chuck of his time.  Appaloosa is a desk job  with  15-ish employees that can be done anywhere (as long as they keep the business address there for tax purposes).   Running a NFL team of hundreds of employees would require way more face time than a hedge fund he is mostly wrapping up.  Can't see him just flying up  and staying in a hotel every time he comes into town (plus someone like Tepper would have the need to entertain quite a bit I would assume).   Don't know what the "rules" are for being a resident of FL but I assume it is 51% of your time. 

37 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I understand his company is based there but I don't see how you run a NFL team without living in that city for a  large chuck of his time.  Appaloosa is a desk job  with  15-ish employees that can be done anywhere (as long as they keep the business address there for tax purposes).   Running a NFL team of hundreds of employees would require way more face time than a hedge fund he is mostly wrapping up.  Can't see him just flying up  and staying in a hotel every time he comes into town (plus someone like Tepper would have the need to entertain quite a bit I would assume).   Don't know what the "rules" are for being a resident of FL but I assume it is 51% of your time. 

I think you'd be right if he was the GM, but the job of an owner can probably be done mostly remotely. Miami to Charlotte is only, what, like a 2-hour flight so he can pop in and out quickly if he needs to.

5 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Weird question but where is Tepper currently living in CLT?     I mean he could buy and bulldoze all of Foxcroft with his a months worth of interest but there hasn't been a peep of him buying a place.   He doesn't seem like the type to just hole up in the Ritz for a couple years. 

He did have a unit at the Vue but not sure if that is still the case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I think you'd be right if he was the GM, but the job of an owner can probably be done mostly remotely. Miami to Charlotte is only, what, like a 2-hour flight so he can pop in and out quickly if he needs to.

On a private jet? Less than an hour and a half from Opa Locka. LOL 

It requires you sleeping in Florida so he could hypothetically commute from Miami.

11 hours ago, jordan704 said:

He did have a unit at the Vue but not sure if that is still the case. 

Thanks! I assumed if he hadn't stealthily bought in town, that he might grab one of the penthouses there.  I just couldn't see Tepper doing the hotel thing as he doesn't seem the type.   I do hope he eventually has an exit plan to move full time to NC and let us have that tax money.  If he had a bad year and only got a lousy 5% return on his portfolio, it would still be like 33mil in NC income tax.  :-)  I googled the FL residency rules and it is 183 days a year.   

In fact, if I were the NC  governor, that would be a discussion point with Tepper when it comes time to pony up state tax money for the new stadium.   If you want state money, pay state income tax.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Thanks! I assumed if he hadn't stealthily bought in town, that he might grab one of the penthouses there.  I just couldn't see Tepper doing the hotel thing as he doesn't seem the type.   I do hope he eventually has an exit plan to move full time to NC and let us have that tax money.  If he had a bad year and only got a lousy 5% return on his portfolio, it would still be like 33mil in NC income tax.  :-)  I googled the FL residency rules and it is 183 days a year.   

In fact, if I were the NC  governor, that would be a discussion point with Tepper when it comes time to pony up state tax money for the new stadium.   If you want state money, pay state income tax.  

Sounds like he's interested in taking more tax money out of N.C.  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article236655113.html

Panthers owner David Tepper “adored” the Rock Hill airport not far from the headquarters site, Hart said. Getting people to and from the site without getting clogged up at the airport in Charlotte was important.

“We’ll bring all these corporate HQs down there, bring the players and free agents and all the big shots down here, they can get to that airport really fast,” Hart said.