I guess  my only question is are we talking along Cedar St or Graham?  I am not sure the residents of Third Ward would appreciate so much bar and entertainment development there along Cedar.  I think some of that county owned site used by the Panthers should be for a new park which this city is sorely lacking compared to places like Raleigh for example.  

Along Graham I have no problem with such a district along Cedar I would.  We have several entertainment zones in  uptown anyway around N Tryon and 5th, Music Factory even the Epicenter not sure what a city induced and developed one could do.  (anyone remember Cityfair?) And don't worry Nashville we won't have anything like Broadway which developed over decades into what it is today.  

I really don't understand Tepper on this as he says he wants a new stadium where on the site of the existing one or somewhere else?  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

from the Bank's Twitter feed today and I did not remember or know this.

During construction of the stadium, a dump truck was sent to all 100 counties in NC and 46 counties in SC and brought back a load of dirt. That dirt is underneath the playing field so when our
step out onto the field, they’re playing on Carolina soil. #BankOnHistory

Didn't know that either, that's pretty cool. Sort of like how they sent out cars to get local labor union leaders when they built the old Giants Stadium.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, dylansukkert said:

Renovations to Bank of America stadium for MLS include adding 14 "bunker suites" in the lower West end zone. This will remove less than 900 lower level seats and displace around 400 Panthers PSL owners.  

I know this is the trend these days for stadiums, but I can't fathom why anyone would want to sit in these suites. You can't see anything!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Renovations to Bank of America stadium for MLS include adding 14 "bunker suites" in the lower West end zone. This will remove less than 900 lower level seats and displace around 400 Panthers PSL owners.  

I heard several of those PSL owners are ticked at lowball buyout offers (10% above purchase price and upper deck seat replacements)

Edited by kermit

Just now, InSouthPark said:

They get to move to any to an open PSL lower level seats in stadium for free or paying them 25% more than they paid if they don't want to.   They can cry me a river.  

Thanks for that, I only had the morning's interwebs gossip to go on.

56 minutes ago, kermit said:

I heard several of those PSL owners are ticked at lowball buyout offers (10% above purchase price and upper deck seat replacements)

Well, they were able to use the PSL to procure tickets for 25+ years when a new stadium is on the horizon and the diminishing returns of the PSL leads to its value becoming more unknown.

Does anyone have an idea if adding these bunker suites is a precursor to a roof retrofit in the future for BOA?  I'm sure the ROI for 14 suites is more than 900 LL seats so that goes without saying, but could this be the first phase of modifying the office areas that will be opening up after moving the HQ to SC?  Will these mods extend the 10 year time frame Tepper originally stated about having a dome stadium?  I could see this being the first phase in creating a bank of suites similar to San Francisco's Levy stadium and covering BOA with a dome. 

• Like 3

@#1Son, I am wondering same thing. CBJ is reporting the bunkers could cost $20 million.  I know Tepper is a billionaire, but he is also a smart investor.  While the ROI for 14 suites is probably more than 900 LL seats, the breakeven has to be SEVERAL years out at a cost of $20 million.  Of course, I didn't attempt any math, just seems like common sense.  Also, RDF / @cltdevelopment indicated on twitter there is some panthers development news coming, though he didn't hint at what it might be.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/24/panthers-spending-up-to-20m-to-add-suites-at-field.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Update - Missed this paragraph the first time I read:

"According to an industry expert, it will likely take five years or so for the team to recoup its investment in the bunker suites. Tepper bought the Panthers in 2018. Last year, during his first off-season as owner, he built an indoor practice center near the stadium. Sponsored by Atrium Health, it’s also been used for a series of ticketed pregame tailgate parties."

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

@#1Son, I am wondering same thing. CBJ is reporting the bunkers could cost $20 million.  I know Tepper is a billionaire, but he is also a smart investor.  While the ROI for 14 suites is probably more than 900 LL seats, the breakeven has to be SEVERAL years out at a cost of $20 million.  Of course, I didn't attempt any math, just seems like common sense.  Also, RDF / @cltdevelopment indicated on twitter there is some panthers development news coming, though he didn't hint at what it might be.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/24/panthers-spending-up-to-20m-to-add-suites-at-field.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Update - Missed this paragraph the first time I read:

"According to an industry expert, it will likely take five years or so for the team to recoup its investment in the bunker suites. Tepper bought the Panthers in 2018. Last year, during his first off-season as owner, he built an indoor practice center near the stadium. Sponsored by Atrium Health, it’s also been used for a series of ticketed pregame tailgate parties."

I think it would easily take 6 seasons to open a new stadium. IF its the Charlotte Pipe site, there will be a LOT of site clean up then 3-5 years of building. I don't think the Panthers will be in a new building until about 2027.

I understand this, but my point is I am not sure it is a worthwhile investment for 2 years of increased profits 5 years from now before moving to a new stadium.   They could make that profit up with some concerts between now and then.  Seems like a long-term play to me.  Just making the observation.  I have no idea what will happen.  I understand there is a good chance they will move stadium.

My hunch is Tepper wants something shiny and new, but why can't BofA be retrofitted to be shiny and new?  Is it cost prohibitive?  I think Tepper said the maintenance is expensive, but I am curious what exactly that means.  To me, it would be an easier sell to taxpayers to say you are permanently upgrading BofA with taxpayer help, rather than tearing down a functioning stadium to build a new one with taxpayer help.  Just my two cents.

45 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think it would easily take 6 seasons to open a new stadium. IF its the Charlotte Pipe site, there will be a LOT of site clean up then 3-5 years of building. I don't think the Panthers will be in a new building until about 2027.

• Like 4

We also don't know what was "required" by MLS to land their last expansion spot (for now).  Tep may have asked MLS officials exactly what do we need to do to BOA now to land this team.  Midfield entrance tunnel, new camera angles, etc.  MLS may very well have asked for some additional premium seating/suites and although 20 mil is a lot, bunker suites were the best location to upgrade vs tearing out a huge chunk of the upper deck somewhere.  

Don't forget too, there was a survey that was sent out to Panther fans about these upgrades.  The public may have had a say in this decision too.  But Tep is serious about elevating the fan experience and I personally think this was in play for our MLS bid to show them we are serious about landing a team and here's a list of renovations we have planned for the immediate future. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

We also don't know what was "required" by MLS to land their last expansion spot (for now).  Tep may have asked MLS officials exactly what do we need to do to BOA now to land this team.  Midfield entrance tunnel, new camera angles, etc.  MLS may very well have asked for some additional premium seating/suites and although 20 mil is a lot, bunker suites were the best location to upgrade vs tearing out a huge chunk of the upper deck somewhere.  

Don't forget too, there was a survey that was sent out to Panther fans about these upgrades.  The public may have had a say in this decision too.  But Tep is serious about elevating the fan experience and I personally think this was in play for our MLS bid to show them we are serious about landing a team and here's a list of renovations we have planned for the immediate future. 

Well said.

I just hope with the changes BofA can land hosting an NFC Championship game.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I’ll take a Charlotte-hosted NFC Championship game over a Charlotte- hosted Super Bowl [almost] any day.

Depends on the outcome of either. I'd take a Charlotte Hosted Super Bowl with the Panthers as a participant over hosting an NFCCC :tw_tounge_xd:...I guess that is the day... lol

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Depends on the outcome of either. I'd take a Charlotte Hosted Super Bowl with the Panthers as a participant over hosting an NFCCC :tw_tounge_xd:...I guess that is the day... lol

Yep, in the nonexistent chance that BofA gets a Super Bowl and the Panthers happen to be playing in that Super Bowl, I prefer that to an NFC Championship game at BofA. In all other scenarios I prefer a BofA-hosted NFC Championship game.